Re: Trying to work with a CM11A under Linux

I dont want to buy a Napco PCI Mini. I have more than a few... I WANT TO KNOW THE PINOUTS... without breaking it open..this is for AMX programming purposes.

Reply to
clingpeach
Loading thread data ...

actually i tried using a minitimer to send the signal too, same result.

addtionally, the units do not respond to all-on/all-off, once they stop responding... so it's like they completely stop listening to any x10 signals.

Reply to
random735

you only need a Ethernet cross cable between both your pc

and enable the internet sharing on your pc connected to the net,this can be done in XP by going to the advance property of the simulated USB nic of your ADSL modem and active the sharing option..

when you will do so the nic in you pc connected to the web will get programmed as a fix ip address of 192.168.0.1 and your pc will become a DHCP server so you only need to program the pc not connected to the web to accept dhcp address and everything will start to work..

I highly recommend that you use a firewall on the web connected machine to protect both of your pc

"Aditi" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
petem

This is normal. In the "away" mode all zones are active. Follower zones will heed the delay timer *if* you trip a delay zone *before* tripping the follower zone. If you trip a follower zone first, it behaves like an instant perimeter zone. The following is quoted from the installation manual:

Type 04 Interior Follower .. Assign to a zone covering an area such as a foyer, lobby, or hallway through which one must pass upon entry (to and from the keypad). .. Provides a delayed alarm (using the programmed entry 1 time) if the entry/exit zone is faulted first. Otherwise this zone type gives an instant alarm. .. Active when the panel is armed in the Away mode. .. Bypassed automatically when the panel is armed in the Stay or Instant modes; if armed in Night-Stay mode, zones assigned to zone list 05 (night-stay zone list) are not bypassed when system armed in Night-Stay mode.

Also normal. Follower and interior zones are bypassed in "stay" mode. Note, however, that the zone behaves differently in "night stay" mode if it is in List 5.

Hmm. Things to check... Have you by any chance miswired the zone? I assume you're using EOL resistors on the expansion zones. Have you mapped an expansion relay output to the zone for a siren trigger or is this alarm event coming from the Vista-20 itself?

Was the system armed in "night stay" mode? If so, the follower zones would be active.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

I just replied to your earlier post. Please see above.

I have some knowledge of Ademco and extensive knowledge of security systems in general. I'm not 100% sure what's causing your problem but I mentioned a couple of things you should check before buying anything more.

As to warranty, no problem. If the product is bad I'll take it back. Likewise, if it's simply not satisfactory I will also take it back ***in new, resaleable condition***. If you decide to order a panel from me, before you install it or open any knockouts I suggest you jumper it to your wiring, program and test it. Please don't change the default codes or lock the board else I can't return it to Ademco.

Absolutely.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

I never asked for the pinouts. Remind me during the week via a private e-mail or phone call and I'll get hold of Napco tech support for you.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

If a problem affects all three switches at once I'd probably suspect the transceiver since it's a common operational link. Far more likely than getting 3 bum switches, I would think.

Next time it happens, trying unplugging and replugging the transceiver to see if that action clears the problem as well. Which make(s) and model(s) transceiver are you using? Sounds like a variation on the endless DIM problem, but that's just a guess. This is another situation where a meter makes all the difference in diagnosing the problem.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

On older systems you'd wind up shorting "aux" or "keypad" power which would blow the fuse. The panel would continue to count down the entry delay and then (with no keypad present to disarm the system) would go into alarm. On newer panels you'd "open" the PTC which wouldn't restore again until the short was removed (with the same resulting alarm). The only time I've ever seen a panel "smoke" (when there's been a short on the aux power terminals) is when some "nimrod technician" (in the employ of a competitor) didn't have the right fuse to replace the one on the board and wrapped the blown one with foil from a cigarette pack. I have also seen the result of unfused transformers "smoking up" when there's a sudden short on the secondary...

Reply to
Frank Olson

Nothing wrong with that. Arming "Away" means all the zones are active and will respond as "instant perimeter" except for those programmed as entry delay.

Check the programming on the expansion zones. A zone programmed as "interior/follower" shouldn't alarm during the entry delay cycle. Most often the reason it does is due to a programming error. It's not however, beyond the realm of possibility that you have a faulty 4229 but if this were the case I'd think other problems would manifest as well.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Lot's of other online dealers sell Ademco products (some even more competively priced). Most online resellers have a return policy, but you have to pay the shipping. In addition, you wouldn't get your money back on a system that's defective (and that's obviously been installed). He'd only ship you another board. I'd suggest that you talk to one of your local alarm dealers and purchase the product through him. Returning a faulty board would be much simpler.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Thanks for the information petem... but i wil give you some more trouble i m here agin with a problem...i m tryin g to network 2 win xp machines...i set up computer names, workgroups and everything...but wen i try to acces shared folders on one mc from another i get an error...//(computer name) is not accesible you mite not have permission to use this network resource .the network path was not found. please tell me what could be wrong. Aditi

Reply to
Aditi

If I felt like doing all of that crap, what would I need you for?

Oh! I get it! The idea!

I'm sure that you'll be overwhelmed with applicants for your little opportunity to spend the summer working for free, just so _you_ can make a bunch of money off your precious idea, while paying the guy who did all of the work, a _royalty_?

Gimme 5K up front, and a guarantee of 60% of gross sales, and I'll consider it.

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

My housecode is C, the 3 switches are C11, C15, and C2. I also tried assigning them to A1 just for kicks.

I'm not worrying about dim/bright just yet, this is purely an on/off issue.

The sequence is basically...

1) light is off 2) send C11 ON - no response 3) turn light on locally - works 4) send C11 OFF - light turns off 5) send C11 ON - light turns on 6) send C11 OFF - light turns off 7) send C12 ON (no device is actually on C12. C12 could be any address really) 8) send C11 ON - device does not respond 9) send all units on - device does not respond 10) turn light on locally 11) send C11 OFF - works again 12) send C11 ON - works again.

So basically it works until some other X10 signal hits the line, at which point it "locks up" or stops listening or something, i don't know exactly what.

I can send those sequences from both the palmpad and from my Minitimer, using it as a mini wired remote, with the same results. All 3 switches react the same way (with different addresses obviously), and changing the location of the transceiver or the minitimer has no effect. One thing is for sure, whether I solve this or not, i'm not buying X10 branded switches again. I'll stick w/ the switchlinc stuff.

Reply to
random735

What is the exact sequence of commands? What addresses?

If you are send>I ordered 3 WS12As (new, in packaging). When they arrived my troubles

Reply to
Dave Houston

Reply to
John Fields

Hi, thanks for the responses. Earlier today I tried the following I checked to see how I have these zones programmed and the programming seemed sound but the results were confusing. I have three interior follower zones in my Vista 20P system, zone 3 (no zone doubling) one of the main hardwired zones. zone 15 on the first 4229 zone expander zone 18 on the second 4229 zone expander reviewing the zone types on the alpha keypad is as follows Zn ZT P RC HW:RT

03 04 1 10 EL:1

Zn ZT P RC HW:RT

15 04 1 10 AW:07

Zn ZT P RC HW:RT

18 04 1 10 AW:08

For all of the RC response codes, 1st is 01, 2nd is 00 10

For testing these I did the following: (under "normal" operation, the alarm appears to work fine. open a door, entry delay starts, open a window, alarm sounds. Zone 3 works exactly as an interior follower zone should. The odd behavior is below)

arm away mode (wait for exit delay to expire) trip 15, no change to display trip 15 again, "check 15 ...." trip 18 "alarm 15..." "alarm 18..." (where ... is the text describing the zone)

I disarmed the system and cleared the display of all messages so it is ready. arm away mode (wait for exit delay to expire) trip 18, no change to display trip 18 again, "check 18..." trip 15 "check 18..." trip 15 again "check 15... check 18..." trip 18 again now the alpha keypads are beeping a hi/lo tone and the fixed keypad is beeping continuous but the main siren is NOT sounding.

disarm system and clear display of all messages so it is ready I tried changing zone 15 from type 04 to type 03 perimeter arm away, wait for exit delay to expire trip 15, first fault no change trip 15 again, "check 15..." disarm and clear display arm stay, wait for exit delay to expire trip 15, first fault no change trip 15 again, "check 15..."

Now I will include zone 13, zone type 03 in the test arm stay, wait for exit delay to expire trip 15, no change trip 15 again, "check 15..." trip 13 alarm occurs instantly so that proves that a type 03 on that 4229 will trigger an alarm Zn ZT P RC HW:RT

13 03 1 1 AW:07

Hmmm, as I type this I notice that zone 13 has RC 1 I don't know if that was a typo on my part or not. I wouldn't think it mattered as I don't have central monitoring.

Does anybody see any problems with the above sequence? Next I'll try making zone 13 an interior delay or interior follower and see if I can get it to act as expected. Doesn't it seem odd that the first time I trip a zone the display does not change but the second time it causes a "check" message to occur? I allowed plenty of time between each zone trip. Ah well, I should stop typing, pardon the long post.

Reply to
autonut843

If you're on glue I recommend you stop immediately --- the long term negative health effects far outweigh any short term 'rush' you may be getting out of it. If you aren't on glue then, um --- I don't know, maybe you're just plain stupid.

Reply to
stahoopid_rahat

well, that may be true, but I did have the switchlinc relay located where at least one of these switches is now located and it worked fine.... I also have trouble believing the signal is ok until i send a different signal, and then suddenly it's no good... to me that really indicates something is broken about the WS12As receiving circuitry, but I know this isn't a perfect science.

I do have a couple PCs running, i'll try shutting things down and see if i can't notice a difference in behavior, but i think i'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and get the switchlincs.

Reply to
random735

There have been a few threads over the years reporting similarly weird symptoms that appeared to have been caused by either marginal signal strength and/or noise (specifically from PC power supplies).

As some>My housecode is C, the 3 switches are C11, C15, and C2. I also tried

Reply to
Dave Houston

I know it sounds weird but there was a report a couple of years ago that was nearly identical in symptoms. The SwitchLinc may have different sensitivity.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.