Re: Trying to work with a CM11A under Linux

PicBasic Pro has macro functions to send/receive X10 commands with a PIC. The X10 chip does the decoding but you're gonna need an oscillator and line isolation components. Unless you need a LOT of 'em, it's hard to imagine building one cheaper than you can buy a module. If you're using a computer for the transmit end, a firecracker module is the easiest way to go. There's a ton of info on the web. Google is your friend. mike

Reply to
mike
Loading thread data ...

If you glue a little 'tab' on the dial on a palmpad, so you can change the house code without needing any other tools, wouldn't that do the job? I think that's as close as you are going.

Reply to
Dan

Your scheme is incompatible with existing hardware and with the RF protocol that X-10 has used for many years. Even Leviton's All Housecode Transceiver uses the existing protocol and works with existing 310MHz remotes like the Palmpad.

It's simpler to add RF capability to a programmable remote (e.g. Pronto, PDA) or design a receiver that uses the same frequency as the RF capable remotes. Outside of North America, almost everything uses 433.92MHz so an RF capable Pronto can be used with any of several X-10 made 230V, 433.92MHz All Housecode Receivers. Unfortunately, in North America, X-10 uses 310MHz while most programmable remotes use 418MHz.

One simple solution is to buy the European MR26E (433.92MHz) and tune it to

418MHz but that does require a PC (or embedded hardware) to >Hey X10.... listen up!
Reply to
Dave Houston

snipped-for-privacy@whocares.com (Dave Houston) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nntp.fuse.net:

I don't think that Philip said anything about the RF protocol. He appears to have expressed an opinion on the user interface. Presumably, the brains of the transmitter would use the information from the button presses (after the third button press) to send the appropriate stream of data via RF to the receiver.

It's not the user interface that I would have chosen, but never mind that.

Reply to
Ian Shef

In which case the current Palmpad works just fine with a knob added to select the housecode.

However, the rightmost column appears to be the dim level and that would require a change to the protocol.

Reply to
Dave Houston

I don't think you will find an "off-the-shelf" solution. There is an application note from Microchip (AN236) and this...

formatting link
that should help.

The PLC protocol is described at...

formatting link
And the extended protocol is described at...

formatting link

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Eduardo Gimeno) wrote:

Reply to
Dave Houston

Don't know if they are still available but I bought some little knobs that fit on the house code dial and made it really easy to set the HC to anything. Forgot where I got them and what they were called. I still have a couple dozen in the parts cabinet. They work on the Palmpad and maxi-controller. They came in both Red and Black. Maybe someone knows more about them. It has been almost a couple years since I originally bought them.

Don

Reply to
Don

Exactly!

Dave Houst>In which case the current Palmpad works just fine with a knob added to

much less convenient in my opinion... I could do the button thing by feel. I suppose i could do the knob thing by feel as well, but i can count down three buttons easier than i can tell 22 from 44 degrees ;). (actually perhaps it isn't that hard... but still) I do use palmpads for multi housecode, but i usually have to whip out my pocket knife or find a drywall screw. (which fits the slot perfectly. ;)

Actually the dim level is based on button number. Perhaps that wasn't clear for folks reading in a proportional font.

If buttons are numbered left->right top->bottom, absolute dime level is Number * 6%. with "on" and "off" being sent by pressing the current "brighten" and "dim" buttons.

(so 1on = 6%, 1off = 12%, 2on = 18% [...] 8off=96%) My interface spec does not have relative dim.

I thought you could send absolute dim commands? (it's been a *l>It's not the user interface that I would have chosen, but never mind that.

I'd be interested in hearing other interface designs given the current palm pad configuration. How would you use it to control the entire x10 space? My scheme gives constant access to all 256 codes, and a pleathora of dim levels. One that does it more efficiently does not come to mind. Perhaps something where it acts like a palmpad, but changing the housecode requires another button? (a button which doesn't exist on current palmpads... but could replace the dial wheel... press that button and then use my button scheme to choose housecode) That's at least a little easier than the clicker solution... but it still doesn't address upper or lower 8 which isn't immediately available without sliding the bottom switch....

The palmpad has the capability of sending all housecodes, and it is cheap. (esp when you get the 6 for $20 deal :) Programmable remotes are cool, but not that cheap... and they have the disadvantages Dave mentions of being improperly tuned for off the shelf receivers in this country. If i were a "Tinker God" like Dave, it might be easy... but i still havn't got around to building his AHT with the basic chip i bought.... and it's been at least a year. :( Heck, i havn't even put in my capacitor coupler. (I suffer from perfectionist procrastination. If i can't do something "right" I tend to put it off. Often "right" means figuring out a frugal and elegant solution)

Thanks for responding!

Reply to
Philip Lewis

according to one of the forums, Homeautomation.com has them.... called "clickers" and they are about 40 cents each, but shipping is high.

you also run into the possibility that the dial was not meant to change frequently, and might wear out.

Reply to
Philip Lewis

Powerline communications doesn't work in the 21st century? Really? Gosh somebody forgot to tell these people:

formatting link
PPL has had running broadband Internet over powerline services in select markets for a few years now. Some other utilties have similar programs.
formatting link
Utilities not only have another revenue stream and an efficient Internet distribution method, but also gain the benefit of a communications channel to/from their meters.

The ARRL (amateur radio group) has spoken out against some powerline communications, out of fears that it will cause interference to them.

Reply to
John

i-Command. Putting you in control. For more information about i-Command sales and /or installation please contact us:

54 Concord Street N. Reading, MA 01864 t. 978.664.3406 f. 978.664.4109 snipped-for-privacy@i-command.com
Reply to
Jack Ak

The main bar to this type of information distribution is the need to bridge transformers along the entire data path. This adds cost (and service delaying infrastructure) to what would otherwise be an already 'in place' data path. It certainly has advantages in simplicity over other services.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

With very low channel width and appropriate signalling you do not need to bridge transformers. However if complex tariffs are envisaged there may be a need for transmitting up to 24 readings a day per meter and this may be beyond such systems.

Reply to
Peter

Reading your email just jogged my memory...

It's Home Controls that sells those things. I went to their site.

They call them X10 Code Clickers (product id DECC, DECCR and DECCB). You can find them at

http://www.homec> Don't know if they are still available but I bought some little knobs that

Reply to
Mitch

Well, let's take another view.

I started talking about X-10 because it seems popular, and it made me think I would find lots of info about it. But let's assume I have no preference.

I only need to send/receive commands over the power line (in my case es 220V 50Hz, Spain), and I need it with the simplest solution, in terms of price and circuit simplicity.

I would like to know there is some IC which I can feed with the power line signal (after some treatment), connect 8 dip switches to 8 pins to fill the code, and receive a digital signal 0/1 on some other pin (for a receiver, reverse for a transceiver).

Any other protocol available for this?

By the way, what is a firecracker???

Regards., Eduardo Gimeno

Reply to
Eduardo Gimeno

Wideband power line systems are effectively wireless systems that use power lines as a rather crude handrail.

Reply to
Peter

I'm sure you can find other methods as well. This part of the industry hasn't yet standardized. Everything still is in 'beta' ;-)

In my neighborhood the "meter reader" plugs a hand-held device into the meter and records the information, my bill is based on three rates: off-peak, on-peak and peak demand.

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

Well I have been using them on both the PalmPad and Maxi controllers for over 3 years and haven't had a problem yet. Then again I don't change code every day. Basically I have a PalmPad that covers the 2/3 rooms close by. Each room has it's own HC. For the way I use them, it makes it easier and less changing codes.

As soon as you mentioned Code Clickers I remembered them. I think I got mine from the person that originally made them up then went on to have others market them for him. Been a LONG time ago.

Reply to
Don

It's more than fears. There have been several documented instances of interference to radio services. The potenial for interference to the data communications, from radio transmitters also exists.

Reply to
James Knott

I did some chip design work for a "modem-per-house" company that was in (IIRC) Toronto. But they lost their funding before they got it working.

BTW, if you haven't heard the news...

"PALO ALTO, Calif., Feb 09, 2005 (United Press International via COMTEX) -- The chairman and chief executive of Hewlett-Packard Co. has resigned suddenly in a dispute with the California company's board."

Good riddance, Carly ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.