Re: Trying to work with a CM11A under Linux

Is a telephone ring generator available, that would let me plug in an answering machine and ring it to make it answer? I would also need to connect an ordinary telephone to send touch tones to control the features of the answering machine, to record messages remotely, etc. Nortel Venture phones are nice, but won't let us check messages left on an integrated answering machine from an extension phone. I want to send a ring signal on an unused phone line connection to hear messages left on the answering machine.

Reply to
BruceR
Loading thread data ...

er, why not use a CM11 or the newer USB equivalents?

Reply to
stevech

Reply to
TOM BLACKWELL

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:57:56 GMT, TOM BLACKWELL wrote (with possible editing):

The Panasonic KXTD-1232 (and other models) is a hybrid. Analog on pair one and digital on pair two of any port. Assuming you set it up this way, a digital phone might be connected to ext. 110 while the answering machine will be on 210. You can call 210 using the intercom feature and you can direct incoming calls there.

Reply to
L. M. Rappaport

Use an x10 firecracker (cm17). About half way down the below page has some info on computer/web control of the firecracker.

formatting link

Reply to
Si Ballenger

How? Remotely via an X10 transmitter? At the switch? Sent from the Ocelot?

I think you want to know if the Ocelot can track status of devices on network by listening to the commands sent. It can. You need a switch that transmits X-10 in order for the Ocelot or any controller to be able to know you did that. 2-way X10 switches will transmit their code when set locally.

- Mark.

Reply to
Mark Thomas

It's not that simple. If the switch sends extended codes (e.g. some of the Leviton two-way switches), the Ocelot will not receive them because its X-10 interface will not handle them. The Ocelot can only see standard codes because that's all the X-10 interface can handle. Some of the SwitchLinc switches send standard codes but they have a poor reputation for performance,

Reply to
Dave Houston

You are correct. I had forgotten about the Leviton 2-ways, because I don't use Leviton switches anymore.

I have many Switchlincs now and have had no problems with them (well, except for some first generation ones I bought off of ebay--they were horrid). The recent ones seem to perform well.

That being said, I am careful to minimize my 2-way usage due to concern over signal loss. I try to keep my X10 accuracy near 100%.

Reply to
Mark Thomas

The firecracker only sends RF signals. There would have to be an RF receiver to pick them up and retransmit them as X-10 power line signals. The firecracker alone isn't enough. That and since it's not a 'normal' serial device it may not be suitable for many newer model PC and USB-based serial ports.

Reply to
wkearney99

I would put a bunch of web bricks in a box, and then put the box over my front door. If someone broke in, the box would land on their head and kill them!

Reply to
Matt

I just checked my mail and I havnt received my web brick yet. Is this a scam?

Reply to
Matt

Well all I can say is I have submitted the best idea so far and they still havnt mailed me my prize.

Reply to
Matt

If it's possible to run the needed wire, photocells and the SECU16 are more reliable.

Reply to
Dave Houston

They are probably just trying to gain more users, I just hope that they will upgrade their phpbb install soon.

Reply to
Dan

I am currently in the middle of a remodel and I am adding a lot of low voltage wiring. I, roughly, plan on having the following installed:

29 speaker drops 11 audio control drops 23 cat5 or cat6 drops 12 Bundle (2cat5/2RG6) drops 15 component (3 RG6) drops

I recently received a bid, but I am not sure what the normal cost of installation is therefore I cannot validate whether I am getting a resonable estimate. I understand that I can contact a few other installers to get bids, but I am running out of time before the sheet rock goes up, therefore is anyone aware of any resources which can help me to semi-accurately determine if the quote I am receiving is fair?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
bdk

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:58:28 GMT, Dan strung together this:

Probably best to steer clear those forums, there's some ropey advice comes from that direction.

Reply to
Lurch

Neither did Publishers Clearning House....

The best thing about dating a homeless person is that at the end of the date, you can drop them off anywhere.

Reply to
Ida Slapter

.. . . or build your own using a TW523 to send/receive X10 signals. My new interface uses a TW523, a touchtone receiver chip (to receive commands entered from a couple dozen TT pads around the house) and a PIC chip that does the communication among the '523, the TT chip and he PC. Since I have cable internet (and am retired, hence around the house a lot), the PC is on all day, so I just leave it on for the additional 7 hours of sleep time. The CRT shuts down, so the bare PC is not significant on my PG&E bill. Regards, Don

Reply to
blueflash

Lots of good information posted. Thanks. Now I wonder - wouldn't UPB solve some of the status issues if the Ocelot supported it (UPB). I had heard that the Ocelot would be supporting UPB soon - any news that someone can share? Thanks again!

Reply to
Bob Dozier

The main issue is to obtain an X10 status each time that you control your lamp locally.

I'm currently working on the lamplink 2000STW from smarthome.

This 2 way lamp module provides the expected functionality. Each time that you will switch locally your lamp on, an X10 On command will be triggered and could be interpreted by the Ocelot. In the same way, if you switch your lamp off (or if the bulb blast ;-) an X10 OFF command will be send by the module and could be interpreted by the Ocelot.

I'm not familiar with the concept of "extended code" and incompaibility issues with TW523 and Ocelot.

The only thing that I know, is the fact that Ocelot provides dedicate commands to send a determinist level of brightness (PCS 32 levels and Leviton 64).

I tested with the 2000 STW and successfully used this kind of command issued from my Ocelot / TW523 installation. In the same way, I requested the status of 2000ST and received back two numbers, one being related to the current level of the lamp module. Is it extended code or not, I'm unable to say it.

2000 STW seems very usefull with a lot of additional functionalities like Ramp light On, preset dimming and group. Regarding the reliability, it's difficult for me to provide a true feedback. All my modules were adapted in 220V. They stay stable, but sometime lock without apparent reasons (each 3 to 4 weeks).

Take care of the fact that local control is a little bit tricky. Low tension halogene lamp or fluorescent bulb seems to be not compatible (no detection or blinking with 12V transformer).

Hope it helps

Reply to
Thierry Parent

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.