Re: Trying to work with a CM11A under Linux

Agreed. The balun is a workaround... but indeed a handy one!

From:Robert L Bass snipped-for-privacy@bassburglaralarms.com

Reply to
BruceR
Loading thread data ...

I have a Square D panel on my home and I installed the plug in SQD surge arrestor. About $55.00

The real trick to surge arresting is to keep the wires as short as possible. Hence most manufactures place their surge arrestors on the bus. Hard to get shorter than that! The longer the wires the less good the arrestor is going to do. No using 750 MCM ( over 1 inch in diameter cable) does not help much. I used to work for an electrical OEM and the studies are out there. Short conductors is good no conductors is better

No matter what you buy plan on replacing it regularly. ALL surge arrestors passed by U.L. are tested for ONE hit. No guarantees for the second hit. I replace mine after every monsoon season, our lightning season.

Make sure your grounding is up to snuff before you install one. The better the ground the better it will HELP protect. No matter what you still need more surge arrestors at the equipment (of lower values). Surge arresting is done in 3 zones, utility, service, and point of use. Since the utility is out of our domain and I for one would not want to pay for on the medium voltage lines. Check the surge arrestors you have, (plug strips) Ideally the whole house one in your case will limit the voltages to 500 v. The plug strip should reduce the voltage to below 330V. Most electronics can handle that for a short period of time. (Nanoseconds) Check the CBEMA curve for more reading.

formatting link
Most all surge arrestors use MOV, metal oxide varistors. Basically they short to ground at a preset level. Good for one hit, one hit only. Getting one with a operation light is handy.

I had a Cutler-Hammer one on the last home

formatting link
The CHHSP version. Be fore warned I used to work for them and they gave it to me. I liked it cause it had a cable TV jack on it. I came home after a severe thunderstorm and my neighbors both had blown TVs. Mine was fine.

If your serious about this then plan on putting surge arresting on the phone line or cable line. I have. Do not get mired down by claims that the company will pay $25k for damaged equipment. That is almost impossible to prove for you.

Good luck making your decision.

Reply to
SQLit

Probably better to monitor it yourself using a pager or call phone.

Reply to
Nick Hull

My driveway is longer than that although line of sight is only 700', and I HIGHLY recommend you run an underground 110vac power line as well as at least 3 (4-wire) phone cables.

For driveway alert I use a single wire and a gas station hose (bell hose) that goes ding-ding when someone drives in.

Reply to
Nick Hull

The 51120-1 is specifically designed for X-10 & Lonworks compatibility as listed on their spec sheet. See:

formatting link
I have an older Leviton Suppressor with an ACT repeater on the same panel with no problems.

Reply to
BruceR

Their X10/A10 line is, IMO, simply the best.

Reply to
BruceR

Is there some reason you don't want to just use an inductive load rated X10 switch that will adjust fan speed by dim/bright commands.

Reply to
BruceR

There wasn't an "Add Topic" link in the right hand column? What about when clicking on an idividule topic, was there any 'Comment | Comment Quoted" links?

Reply to
wjbell

I'll bet it wasn't hard to find, since you registered the domain! The "pretending to find the site" trick is an old one, and certainly not necessary in this group. New automation store announcements are welcome, but dishonesty is frowned upon.

Reply to
Mark Thomas

I have one of these that I use to remotely rebot a few items and I'm very pleased with it. It will work with a thermostat too.

formatting link
look at these which I found in about 15 seconds by searching for "phone control thermostat" - remember, Yahoo and google are your friends:
formatting link
here's one for the UK:
formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
BruceR

Disclaimer: I work for Toro but not in the consumer products area. I can give you some hints but you will need to verify the accuracy for yourself. ie: I'm not infallible and may not know the details.

Friendly Robotics manufactured the Toro i-mow based on their robomow. Some changes were made to make the mowers more reliable in the US market. (Toro had a return for any reason policy and a longer warrantee.)

You may be able to get batteries from a Toro dealer.

You may also be able to find a battery of an appropriate type that may fit the battery carrier from one of the common battery stores.

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

Hi Volkmar, a similar solution can be achieved by the use of NSC controllers. In contrast with PLC they can be deployed in your home and can be interfaced with a PC. An IR interface, which could link with your PDA, is currently under development. White me in private if you want more info. (remove dashes and change ampersand with e)

Bye, Claudio G.

_________________________________________________________ per rispondermi cambia la e-commerciale con la 'e' normale e togli i trattini.

formatting link
"Volkmar" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Claudio G

The link doesn't work (NS and IE)

Reply to
AZ Woody

formatting link

Reply to
Reg

It works just fine.

Reply to
Reg

Rather than calculate it, do a google sunset search, and you'll find tables where you enter your zip code. I used that data for the beginning of each month in a table to determine when to turn on my night ligting. Works, unless you're (for some other reason) needing it really accurate. Regards, Don

Reply to
blueflash

How old is the battery you have that is dead?? Might want to check and make sure the charger is doing its job. Mine lasted about three seasons before getting to the point that it would not complete it's regular "route". I did find that you can buy the batteries (two inside the housing) but by the time you pay for S&H I wasn't going to save much (if any) over buying the correct replacement. I also found that there were no other makes with a higher amperage rating that would fit the "box" hoping that I could get more run time out of a charge. I just went ahead and bought the right one here....

formatting link
JMHo..

Reply to
Gemini

So use mp3 (or other format) sources instead of or in addition to CDs. Software like J.River's Media Center gives some options on having a single PC act as a multi-zone set of sources.

Reply to
wkearney99

Seems to hold a charge long enough to get the job done. Do you have the rapid charger? I also see they are offering a 17AH battery now. I don't know if that is better than the one I have now. I just my mower a few days ago off ebay. The battery pack is dated nov/00 I know I have the old software too as its program date is the same. It works great I just think the battery is old. I would also like to update the software pakage to a more current version as I've heard the pathfinding is a bit better as well as its moves faster. Anybody have an expieriences with that?

Reply to
pkloop

It also doesnt work if you're internet connectionless.

There's something to be said for having it on your computer, rathr than accessing someone else's copy.

Thanks Myren

Reply to
myren, lord

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.