trying to use Verizon DSL with linux

I read many positive results from linux users using verizon DSL with the westell 2200 DSL modem.

So I got the kit, but I've found out that the install process seems to require you to use Windows only software to get the username/passwd to log into the network. I had been assuming to that point that the software was for the MSN extras stuff that I wasn't going to use anyway.

Since I only have linux I can't run that and without the password/username I can't get on. How could I work around this? Some people say you can call them and say you are using a router and they will give you a username password on the phone? I didn't get that because I'd think they'd tell you to plug into the modem directly from the pc, do the setup then swap the cable back to the router and the router to the modem. Any ideas? Mark

Reply to
Mark
Loading thread data ...

Is there *any* way to beg/borrow/steal a Windows box to use temporarily just to get you past the initial setup??

Otherwise, you're looking at making a call to tech support to walk you through getting a username/password. You need the username/password only if you are in a former Bell Atlantic area that uses PPPoE to authenticate. Some former GTE areas are starting to go to PPPoE but most are DHCP.

I still think the most expeditious route woule be to borrow a Windows box and then return it once you are finished.

Good luck!!

John

-- John Dearing A+, Network+

Reply to
John Dearing

John, btw, for the router I'll be using Ipcop 1.4 on a standalone pc (home page

formatting link
that changes anything. It supports PPPoE, DHCP, all of it.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

-=[ deletia to save space]=-

The Westell 2200 can operate in one of two modes. The first, "router" mode has the device operate much like a small broadband router (think Linksys, Netgear, etc...). The 2200 has built-in NAT and a PPPoE shim that will hold your username/password for authentication. It just doesn't have the built-in switch/hub, you have to add that yourself.

The second mode is called Bridge mode. In this mode the 2200 operates as a simple DSL modem, that's all, nothing more.

My previous recommendation to use a Windows box to do the account setup and then you can decide how you'll configure the Westell (router vs bridge) for your Linux network.

My own preference is to have an appliance do the router/NAT work and save the PC's for, well, PC work. Unless your doing this as an educational exercise.

John

-- John P. Dearing A+, Network+ To reply: Just drop "YOURPANTS" in my address! 8-)

Reply to
John P. Dearing

Ok, with the help of a friend in the neighborhood with a XP laptop I was able to setup the verizon password and username. It works fine (I downloaded a large file, got about 200KB/sec) - thanks

Mark

Reply to
Mark Schlegel

Mark, Instead of using that crappy Windows install CD, just goto (since you have another Internet connection):

formatting link
It will walk you through getting a username & password. When you get to the end though, the button will not work (it says finish or something). That is designed to work with the installation CD. So once you get there you know you are done.

-- spdy

Reply to
spdy

Hey thanx -- That's a good URL to bookmark for future reference. I haven't even seen that mentioned in the "private" Verizon News Space.

Dave

| >So I got the kit, but I've found out that the | >install process seems to require you to use | >Windows only software to get the username/passwd | >to log into the network. I had been assuming to | >that point that the software was for the MSN | >extras stuff that I wasn't going to use anyway. | >

| >Since I only have linux | >I can't run that and without the password/username | >I can't get on. How could I work around this? | >Some people say you can call them and say | >you are using a router and they will give you | >a username password on the phone? I didn't get | >that because I'd think they'd tell you to | >plug into the modem directly from the pc, do | >the setup then swap the cable back to the router | >and the router to the modem. | >Any ideas? | >Mark | | Mark, | Instead of using that crappy Windows install CD, just goto (since you | have another Internet connection): |

formatting link
| | It will walk you through getting a username & password. When you get | to the end though, the button will not work (it says finish or | something). That is designed to work with the installation CD. So | once you get there you know you are done. | | -- spdy

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Sounds like you got the 1.5 package. Good deal!! Go to one of the other speedtest site and check your upload speed. If you're close enough to the C.O. you might also have the 384 upload which is nice.

Glad to hear you were able to work things out and get your setup working. You may also want to check out the 0.verizon.* series of newsgroups. These are private newsgroups only accessable from within the VOL network.

Welcome aboard and smooth surfing!!!

John

-- John P. Dearing A+, Network+ To reply: Just drop "YOURPANTS" in my address! 8-)

Reply to
John P. Dearing

There's another reason besides the educational one, the standalone pc does a better more flexible job of it than the typical appliance. Logging is better, ipcop uses snort.org to actually tell you what all the firewall/ids events mean and rate the severities. Also with ipcop you have built-in local squid proxying, you can't do that easily with a hardware appliance. Plus since it's squid, squid supports ad filtering. (using squid_redirect) Plus I was already using the ipcop box and had it all setup so going to the appliance would mean reinventing the wheel and setting up all the rules in the appliance that I already had working in ipcop. Mark

Reply to
Mark

The only downside is the power consumption. Could be as much as 10 times that of an appliance.

Dave

| > -=[ deletia to save space]=- | >

| >> John, btw, for the router I'll be using Ipcop 1.4 on a standalone pc | >> (home page

formatting link
| >> if that changes anything. It supports PPPoE, DHCP, all of it. | >

| >

| > The Westell 2200 can operate in one of two modes. The first, "router" | > mode has the device operate much like a small broadband router (think | > Linksys, Netgear, etc...). The 2200 has built-in NAT and a PPPoE shim | > that will hold your username/password for authentication. It just | > doesn't have the built-in switch/hub, you have to add that yourself. | >

| > The second mode is called Bridge mode. In this mode the 2200 operates as | > a simple DSL modem, that's all, nothing more. | >

| > My previous recommendation to use a Windows box to do the account setup | > and then you can decide how you'll configure the Westell (router vs | > bridge) for your Linux network. | >

| > My own preference is to have an appliance do the router/NAT work and | > save the PC's for, well, PC work. Unless your doing this as an | > educational exercise. | >

| > John | > -- | > John P. Dearing | > A+, Network+ | > To reply: Just drop "YOURPANTS" in my address! 8-) | | There's another reason besides the educational one, | the standalone pc does a better more flexible job | of it than the typical appliance. Logging is better, | ipcop uses snort.org to actually tell you what all the | firewall/ids events mean and rate the severities. | Also with ipcop you have built-in local squid proxying, | you can't do that easily with a hardware appliance. | Plus since it's squid, squid supports ad filtering. | (using squid_redirect) | Plus I was already using the ipcop box and had it all setup so going to | the appliance would mean reinventing the wheel and | setting up all the rules in the appliance that I | already had working in ipcop. | Mark

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.