Need Advice For Packaged Home Alarm Purchase

interesting questions, Russ. I started thinking I want to protect the house while I'm away. After thinking about it some and reading your postsa and others I believe I need .to protect the occupants and what's inside the house. Window and door alarms are a must.

Mike

Reply to
Mike
Loading thread data ...

I've got it now I think I know what I need.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
Mike

The Honeywell Lynx System is no longer an option for me.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
Mike

I'm going to buy A hardwired perimeter system w/ motion sensors and fire alarms, Robert. Why do I need glass breakers if the windows are alarmed? What's the model number of the GE system you like?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I don't "like" the GE system at all; IMO, it's simply the best of a bad lot because of the remote dialer....

Glassbreaks are most useful if you have areas with a wide expanse of glass, and the glass is the older single pane type glass. Newer double pane windows are considerably harder to break, and when they do, they make a noise like a rifle shot. As such, it has been my experience (at least in our relatively peaceful part of the continent), they don't break them during residential breakin's. The most I've seen them do is pry them open if they have not been fully closed and locked (but then, I don't install in downtown LA either.....:((...)

Commercial installations are quite the opposite however, and glassbreaks are almost a must in most every commercial situation. I've seen them break a $1000 plate glass window to see if there's any money in the cash drawer (even though I told the guy to always leave it open in plain site of the window....). I've taken to making up a sign for the very few commercial clients I have left (after I got rid of most of them), that says "No cash on premises after hours"

My .02 cents...

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Shut your loose lips. Keep them shut ........ and it ends.

You start with your wise ass remarks then complain when I slap back Then it's WHINEY! WHINEY! WHINEY! If you don't like what I say or do here ..... too f****ng bad. You feel you can't resist making a wise as remark? And then you tell ME to grow up? Yeah sure! Keep it up and you'll get it shoved right back up your fat ass.

End it or not. You're easy.

Reply to
Jim

The usual approach is to install magnetic sensors ("contacts") on all accessible windows. These can be recessed or surface mount. I carry a fairly broad range of them in my online store. Browse around this link to learn a little about the different types:

formatting link

I know. :(

You can add a measure of protection against someone smashing the glass by installing glass break detectors. Some installers love glass breaks and others hate them. I've had good results with IntelliSense (now Honeywell) glass breaks on my own installations as well as lots of DIY jobs. Here's another link:

formatting link
Hope that helps.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Um...no.

Slap? You...slapped? how cute.

I don't care what you say here.

You're simply sport, grams. js

Reply to
alarman

Russ makes an excellent point here. Regardless who your supplier is, you want do deal with someone who evidences an interest in you and your needs -- not just a desire to close the sale.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Good choice.

Glass break detectors add an extra measure of protection against someone smashing a window or sliding door to gain entry. They can be a useful add-on though they are not primary detection. Like motion detectors, they add some protection.

The primary concern is a full perimeter. You've decided to install contacts on all doors and accessible windows. That should be the baseline of residential security. Motion and glass breaks are a good way to augment that if they fit in the budget.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Mike, I'm just going to comment on one item here.

Why would you only put a smoke detector on the first floor? What if a fire started on the second floor. It could take an hour before the smoke layered down to the detector on the first floor. If you were sleeping, you'd never wake up.

Minimum recommendation is one on each level. Then as augmentation, heat detectors by heating/cooling systems. Electrical breaker box. Laundry, kitchen, garage and attic. Not that you NEED to do it all, but minimum of one smoke on each level should be considered or at least provisions to pull the wires now, while wires are being pulled and you can get the rest installed , or do it yourself,( with some direction) at a later date. You're system will have to be reprogramed to send fire signals at that time, also.

It's called ....... "To Catch a Thief". and it's done a lot for informing the public about what it's really like to be burglarized ...... and as you can imagine ..... is done alot for us guys too.

Reply to
Jim

Do you like it as much as the sport you perform on your knees ........ fat man?

Reply to
Jim

Nah, this is more fun than installing carpet mats. js

Reply to
alarman

Yeh, Likity lips, but you know that it's not the carpets. You'd take any job that'd put you on your knees.

Reply to
Jim

Hey, grams, isn't it past your bed time? You're up kinda late. js

Reply to
alarman

Hmmm, I guess you've already been to bed with your favorite guy by now.

Were you the receiver again?

Reply to
Jim

Jim,

I'm not trying to be an A*****E, but I've noticed you have a strong fascination with gay men... What's up with that????????????

Russ

Reply to
Russell Brill

Other minor reasons to do the windows...

Kids/teenagers sneaking out/in.

You leave for vacation and arm your system, but leave two upstairs windows opened and then it rains for 4 days while your away.

Or the racoons get in and eat everything..too small to trip the 80lb pet avoidance motions :-)

| >>> What?? Am I the only one that still does windows? | >>>

| >> Most of the companies I talked with say movement sensors are enough. | >> What's your opinion? | >>

| >> Mike | >>

| > The companies you're talking to, want to be in & out of your house in four | > hours or less... Question: have any of the companies you've talked to | > given a rats ass about what you want, and what your concerns are? | >

| > Example: Mr. Mike, are you more concerned about a burglary taking place | > while you and your family are home? Or, are you purchasing the system to | > protect your property (TV's, Stereo, computer, etc. etc..)? Or lastly, are | > you purchasing the system because you're concerned about your family's | > safety, and the protection of your personal property? Your answers to | > these questions will determine how your system should be designed. | >

| > Mike, do you want to do business with people that don't give a Shit about | > you and your loved ones??? You see, security isn't just about price and | > brand name recognition... It's about building relationships and TRUST... | > Think about that before you sign on the dotted line............ | >

| > Best of luck, | > Russ | >>

| >>

| >

| >

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.