Need advice for buying a laptop

My home network currently has a Lynksys wired DSL router (BEFSR41) and

3 desktops attached to it.

Now I am planning to add a laptop with "trouble-free" wireless connection to the Internet. I consider this fact the most important feature of the laptop.

I live in a two-story 5-bed-room house. The router is currently in the second-floor study.

What kind of wirless router will let me use my laptop in any room of my house (except for the basement)? What kind of LAN card or built-in wireless access do I need in the laptop?

Thank you for your help in advance.

baddley

Reply to
baddley
Loading thread data ...

Hi, I have 2 story house about 3000 sq. ft. Router I used first was Linksys WRT54G with dd-wrt f/w. I have several leaptops(Thinkpads, Powerbook) and desktops from upstaira to basement. Coverage was OK and did not have any trouble. Now I am using Linksys WRT54GX2 which gave stronger signal over all inside and around outside house. I am biased for Thinkpads series. Now ours are all T42 with built-in -11b/g mini PCI card. Always worked well. Not only that TP series is well built reliable machine. My son also uses Panasonic Toughbook for his field work(civil engineering). Powerbook is daughter's. I don't have any other laptop experience.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:29:10 GMT, baddley wrote in :

Hard to say. Depends on the construction of the interior walls.

I highly recommend Lenovo T-series. Excellent built-in Wi-Fi.

Reply to
John Navas

I liked your practical knowledge that can be directly applied to my situation. Thank you for taking time out to help.

baddley

Reply to
baddley

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.