Need Advice For Packaged Home Alarm Purchase

I always offered full perimeter protection on my installations. It takes more time and costs more but it helps detect the thief

*before* he gets in. Protecting the windows reduces the likelihood of a confrontation and all but eliminates the thief grabbing something as he runs off.

Also, if you're home and asleep when the alarm goes off you've got a better chance to deal with it if he's still outside than if he's already in the house.

Reply to
Robert L Bass
Loading thread data ...

That doesn't sound right. Lynx is an Ademco product. Honeywell bought Ademco. The other Ademco products are also part of the Honeywell line. What Ademco system are they claiming is being replaced by the Lynx?

Fire signals typically make up less than 0.5% of all alarms. There's no justification for charging an extra $3 per month for monitoring fire.

Unless they disable the on-board sounder and install a separate keypad and siren, nix it. The system can be defeated in a few seconds before it ever gets a chance to report.

They're the functional equivalent of an ADT "authorized dealer" except that the monitoring is being done by Monitronix. I know of at least one Moni dealer who operated for years without a license with Monitronix' full knowledge and consent. During that time the dealer ripped off hundreds of families in Connecticut. He actually signed on with Protection 1 at first, just to get Honeywell's distributor to sell to him (they at first refused as he had no credentials and no experience). Once he got in he quickly switched to Moni where he was allowed to continue defrauding people in CT until he skipped out.

Based on that dealers actions, of which Monitronix was fully aware, I could not recommend them.

Be very careful.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

The "pro" is that it's easier for the installer. The "con" is that all you need to do is rip it off the wall and it's disabled. Are they f**king kidding with that shit? js

Reply to
alarman

It's an extremely weak design. Unless the installer adds a separate keypad and siren and defeats the on board ones, the thief can follow the pre-alarm warning signal when he comes in the door and smash the panel or just pull it off the wall, completely defeating it before the siren triggers or any signal is sent out.

The edge for alarm companies installing this system is it requires almost no skill and can be accomplished in an hour or so. Some of the folks who install these systems don't even bother with line seizure, disabling the alarm report if the thief simply knocks a phone off the hook or unplugs phone cord from the box.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

That's because they don't really care about doing it right, they just want the monitoring account. Will you use your motion detectors at night? Imagine having to turn off the system if you want to walk around the house. That will get old quick, and you'll stop using the system. Don't you want to know if someone forces a window while you're sleeping? Eliminate those guys, and keep looking for a real alarm installer. Hint: You'll probably have to find a local company to get a professional job. js

Reply to
alarman

The companies you're talking to, want to be in & out of your house in four hours or less... Question: have any of the companies you've talked to given a rats ass about what you want, and what your concerns are?

Example: Mr. Mike, are you more concerned about a burglary taking place while you and your family are home? Or, are you purchasing the system to protect your property (TV's, Stereo, computer, etc. etc..)? Or lastly, are you purchasing the system because you're concerned about your family's safety, and the protection of your personal property? Your answers to these questions will determine how your system should be designed.

Mike, do you want to do business with people that don't give a Shit about you and your loved ones??? You see, security isn't just about price and brand name recognition... It's about building relationships and TRUST... Think about that before you sign on the dotted line............

Best of luck, Russ

Reply to
Russell Brill

Jack,

You still online???

Reply to
Russell Brill

Ummmm.... When exactly did you start your company in CT?? When did you get your CT license?? How many years did *you* operate *without a license*?? And who monitored your accounts in that time "with full knowledge and consent"?

And how exactly did you get ADI to sell to you?? Unlicensed!! In Florida!

Based on your own performance (both in the past and the present), I wouldn't take anything you say as particularly meaningful or even "good advice"...

I'm sure he will...

Reply to
Frank Olson

It depends on what you hope to achieve and on your budget, a complete perimeter system and motion detectors is the better way to go, however if you plan to use the alarm only when you are absent from the house and/or the budget is tight then sensors on the main entry doors and a couple of strategically placed motion sensors will help to detect an intruder when the house is unoccupied but only after they are actually in the house and moving around. If you plan to use the alarm when you are home and/or you want the alarm to activate before someone is inside your home then you really need to consider sensors on all the accessible perimeter openings since the motion detectors would normally be automatically bypassed when the house is occupied.

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

:-) Easy there, grams. js

Reply to
alarman

I got your e-mail last nite.

js

Reply to
alarman

Makes sense to me. How do people buy this stuff? I can't imagine what would've happened had I not check ed this group first.

Mike

Reply to
news01

I'm getting alarms on the windows.

Mike

Reply to
news01

You'd end up just another sucker, putting money in the pockets of some a**holes who flunked out of toll-booth school. js

Reply to
alarman

fwiw, he called back stating the reinstall will be writen into the contract but I don't believe I'm going with Brinks.

Mike

Reply to
news01

Robert, I'm thinking hardwired is the way to go for all doors and first floor windows with motion sensor in basement, fire alarm on first floor. What do glass breakers do? If the windows are hardwired are glass breakers still needed? No shrubs obstacting view to front basement windows.

What does it mean? Installing separate line for alarm? What's to stop somebody from breaking through a hard wired door or window then pulling the keypad off the wall? Wil;l that disable the alarm? Some months ago I was stunned watching a show where professional buglars broke into houses then they came back pointing out what needed to be fixed to make the house secure meanwhile every yahoo who watched the show learned professional burglar techniques, actually that show motivated me to get an alarm. If I'm watching that show I'm sure a lot of neer do wells watched it too.

Mike

Reply to
news01

Writing off the Lynx

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Monitronix is off my dance card unless they'll install another system.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Excellent points. I'm alarming the windows.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

How are windows wired for alarms these days? They don't use tape anymore?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.