Need Advice For Packaged Home Alarm Purchase

Security System Quotes

ADT corporate

349.00 Essentials Plus Package 1 Safewatch? Pro 3000 Touchpad 1 Motion Detector 1 Indoor Sounder 2 Door/Window Sensors 1 Manual Police/Fire Emergency Button 1 One-Time Telephone Connection Fee 1 Chime Feature 125 addition key pad 70.00 extra door sensor 25 telephone connection fee 99.00 x three smoke alarms 50.00 x three glass break alarms

appx $750.00 & about 42.00 a month fire and breakin monitoring forgot to ask how much service call will cost. I own the equipment.

Brinks premium pkg

1 master control w/ battery 1 premium keypad 2 motion sensor 1 siren 3 door sensers 1 key fob 1 smoke/heat detector appx 480.00 installed $34.99 per month for break in, fire and service policy.

I'm renovating my house - tearing walls, etc. The Brinks rep tells me as long as I have the service policy Brinks will reinstall any equipment I move due to reconstruction.

What do think of the quotes? The Brinks service plan w/ free equilment reinstalls is tempting. (I told the rep the free reinstall needs to be in the final contract) Rep told me if I move Brinks will install a basix syste for free in my new place and charge me half price for all optional equipment.

Reply to
Mike
Loading thread data ...

Thanks Robert, I just posted quotes from ADT & Brinks. (think I should've posted the quotes down here near the end of the thread) Brink's rep couldn't tell me make/model of their hardware. Will call me back

Reply to
Mike

Sorry, I don't shop at Walmart.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Don't be sorry

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Take a look inside the box next time you ring up a sale Frank, instead of just asking if they want fries with it.

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided tape

I don't remember if I sasked this or not if I install my own system how do I find a monitoring company for fire and break in evewnts. The $40.00 a month monitoring fee is a killer

Mike

Reply to
Mike

No problem, Mike. The previous poster was attempting a dig at me, not you. As you've probably already deduced, there are a few folks here who take offense at anything I post. It has nothing to do with content, only a long-standing grudge over their failure to prevent me or anyone else from posting information about DIY and from making comments about some industry ills.

Like everything else, use the meat and spit out the bones. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Understood. There are several providers who will monitor DIY systems almost anywhere in the US. One that several of my clients use is called Next Alarm. They have a website at

formatting link
I've spoken with them and the fellow I talked to seemed competent and interested.

Some local firms also monitor DIY. Most don't. You just have to ask around. I don't think ADT will monitor a DIY system though plenty of "authorized dealers" will gladly sell their monitoring to you and then "flip the paper," as Bob C likes to put it.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

The purchase / installation fee is in line with what many other firms are charging but $42 a month for monitoring a residential system seems high. They can turn a profit charging half that much.

Typically there will be a warranty period, after which service calls can be expensive. Get the current prices in writing.

Due to Brinks' reputation and the fact that no one else can monitor or service it, I'd be very cautious about getting tied in with them. Once they have you they can pretty much charge whatever they want for monitoring and service. If you don't like the price or the quality of the service, you have no other options.

On the surface it may seem so but ADT corporate has a much better reputation. Try to negotiate the monitoring price. Maybe you can get a lower rate. Either way, ADT corporate will likely be the better choice.

That "free" reinstallation sometimes has a way of costing more than the initial installation. A "basic" system is 2 doors, 1 motion, 1 keypad and 1 siren. When most of us move it's usually to a larger place with more doors, more windows, more motion detectors, smoke detectors, etc. "Half price" doesn't mean half of what you paid at the time of the initial installation. It means half of what they say the going price is when you move.

I've dealt with a number of people who initially went with Brinks. None were happy about the experience.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

And I suppose you think that what you say has any importance to anyone. Your participation is composed of snotty remarks and nothing of any important or relevance to alarms, that's for sure. Take a look back, you fat piggy jerk and see how much you contribute here. Ziltch. All you've got in you, is wise ass comments because you don't have anything of value to contribute.

If you don't like what I do here, go someplace else. You don't control what goes on here and have no say in what I or anyone does.

Go parctice your oral preoccupation.

Reply to
Jim

And if you'll notice all the responses I've made involve asking you to verify some of your more outlandish statements concering your so called experience in the trade, the "running of your modestly successful central station alarmco", etc... In fact, I don't see *anything* in any of the responses made to you or to Mike that have anything to do with our trying to "prevent" you "or anyone else from posting information about DIY and from making comments about some industry ills". There are a number of individuals that post here that also happen to sell security equipment online. I don't see a single one that quite gets the sort of response you frequently garner. It doesn't take much to recognize that you lie, misrepresent yourself, and are generally one of the most obnoxious individuals I've ever come across.

That generally includes anything you have to say about "industry ills". Let those without sin cast the first stone, Robert.

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Just got a quote over the phone from Slomin's Shield wireless system

One free "basic system NAPCO" 2 door alarms, 1 standard (LED I guess) keypad

2 motion sensors 155.00 1 smode detector 149.00 1 key fob 80.00 1 extra door alarm 86.00 three months rent up front 20.00 police alarm register 27.00 electrical permit 79.00 annual warranty 310.00 third year of three year contract otherwise I need to sign a five year contract.

about $900.00 and I own the equipment - three year committment

Mike

total including installation

Reply to
news01

I would think twice about calling them back. If they are not responding to you as a prospective customer, how will they do when you need service? js

Reply to
alarman

Slomon's rep told me if I prepay or order the warranty now it's $79.00 a year and it'll stay $79.00 a year as long I reorder it before it expires.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I'd like to go with a small local co but at this point I'm getting leary of giving out my address to strangers. So far, I've given it to two corp companies and the smaller one have all insisted on looking the house over before they'll even talk prices. I'm going to call back a couple of the small one that didn't call back. I assume a lot of the have ansering service.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Robert, the psychology of news groups fascinates me. I see it as a microcosm of society

Mike

Reply to
Mike

What?? Am I the only one that still does windows?

| > I've dealt with a number of people who initially went with | > Brinks. None were happy about the experience. | >

| > -- | >

| > Regards, | > Robert L Bass | >

| > Bass Burglar Alarms | > The Online DIY Store | >

formatting link
| | Just got a quote over the phone from Slomin's Shield | wireless system | | One free "basic system NAPCO" 2 door alarms, 1 standard (LED I guess) | keypad | 2 motion sensors | 155.00 1 smode detector | 149.00 1 key fob | 80.00 1 extra door alarm | 86.00 three months rent up front | 20.00 police alarm register | 27.00 electrical permit | 79.00 annual warranty | 310.00 third year of three year contract otherwise I need to sign a | five year contract. | | about $900.00 and I own the equipment - three year committment | | Mike | | | total including installation |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I never bid a job without looking the site over... The only Dealers that do that are the dummies and mass marketers..... Also, most small alarm co owners like to meet potential customers to gage the Pain-In-The-Ass Factor... PITAF questions: Does the customer Bitch and Moan about everything under the sun during the site survey? Is he/she a price fanatic (A.K.A. CHEAP)? Does the customer act as if the Dealer is his/her employee (a bossy prick)... If the answer is yes to any of the PITAF questions, than a price increase is in order (or a pass)... Oh, almost forgot this one: BIG RED FLAG, hi my name is ______, I'd like to get a quote for a home alarm, I just need something simple (A.K.A. CHEAP), it's an easy installation, so it shouldn't take to long or cost very much, please call me back ASAP... YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYa, I'll jump right over to the phone and return your call........ ha ha ha ha ha...

So Mike, why do you think the locals aren't returning your calls??? Is there a RED FLAG over your head???

Reply to
Russell Brill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.