Need Advice For Packaged Home Alarm Purchase

Nope, I've never had an alarm system. Sorry to learn of your client's unfortunate break in. I'll immediately install install the decals. Next week I'm going to get bars for the two basement windows.

Mike

Reply to
Mike
Loading thread data ...

Oops ! I was assuming I was talking to "Mikey".... a regular poster here that is also a friend of mine here in Ottawa, and a fellow colleague in the business. If it was Mike the recent poster looking for advice who posted, I apologize ! You must have thought I'd lost my mind....

Anyway, the advice still applies....

RHC

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

No problem and thAnks for the useful advice.

Mike USA

Reply to
Mike

I'm unfamiliar with the going prices in your area so I can't speak to that issue. The idea of paying that much for an installation where you will not own it, however, should send up some serious red flags. If it's a lease, why should you pay a purchase price?

As to the matter of defeating wireless, yes, it's possible. However, modern wireless technology employs supervision strategies which help the system detect jamming, etc. Frankly, it's far easier to hit the neighbor's house that has no alarm at all than to bother trying to get past a wireless alarm system in your home. Furthermore, to defeat the system the would-be would need some prior knowledge of the specific hardware you employ.

Wireless isn't 100% as secure nor as reliable as hard-wired technology. There are simply more RF components that can fail for a given point of protection. There are batteries to replace from time to time.

None of the above is the biggest drawback to wireless alarms. The real problem is in the area of long-term serviceability. Hard-wired door and window sensors, motion detectors, glass break sensors and smoke detectors are generally cross-compatible with all hard-wired alarm systems, regardless of make or model. Almost all wireless detectors only work with the same series from the same manufacturer's control panels. Eventually, the manufacturer will discontinue support for virtually any product line they currently carry. DSC is a prime example of what can and does go wrong with wireless. As a cost-cutting measure they decided to change from 900 MHz to 433 MHz wireless. Within less than two years after the change they stopped supporting existing

900 MHz systems, leaving tens of thousands of customers with systems that cannot be fully supported. If a 900 MHz DSC sensor fails or if the customer needs to add a door or window, tough luck. They need to rip out all of the existing wireless detectors and receivers, the major portion of their systems, and replace it all. Imagine what that means to a dealer who offers a three year warranty.

OK, rant mode = OFF. :^)

If you don't plan to live in the house for more than a few years and you're comfortable with the possibility that the system may become obsolete, wireless does have a strong attraction. Because no wire pulling is involved, the dealer can employ semi-skilled labor (unfortunately, though it is 100% true, this is certain to bring a rain of rage from certain wireless only installers).

For the DIYer, it's a snap installing a wireless system. That said, in most cases even existing homes can be effectively wired by a homeowner with a little patience and a modicum of tool skills. You've not mentioned DIY so I presume that's of no interest to you. If that is not correct, have a look at my website. Regardless whether you decide to DIY or employ a professional installer, you'll get an idea what these systems actually cost and a broad overview of the different types of systems available.

Either way, best of luck.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Very interesting and useful post. Can DIY systems be monitored remotely by a CS?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Yes. Most independent CS's (and many owned by actual alarmcos) will deal with registered (licensed) dealers. There are a few companies out there that offer service direct to the the DIY, but if you examine their FAQ's carefully, you'll often find that you're not actually dealing direct but through a dealer. A prime example is

formatting link
If you don't have control (the installer code) of your alarm system they'll send you an "add-on device" that is essentially an independently programmed communicator with instructions on how to install it or the number of a local dealer to call that will install it for you. The UL listed stations that NextAlarm deals with have the same safeguards in place than the independents I first mentioned. UL listed stations won't allow a DIY to program their own systems to call their receivers. If you think about it for a moment, you'll understand the reason why.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Yes. DIYers can contract directly with some central stations or go through a local dealer for their monitoring. The difference is that if you install it yourself you shouldn't be paying an inflated price for monitoring to make up for "loss leader" prices on a professional installation.

DIY isn't for everyone. If you're considering that option, you're welcome to call and I'll explain what you'll need to buy, what tools you will need and what is involved in the work. It's not rocket science. You need a bit of patience to get the hang of some of the tasks. In addition to running a small, central station alarm company for 24 years, I've operated an online DIY store for about nine years (some of that time overlaps as I ran both businesses side-by-side for a while). In all that time I know of two cases where DIY clients actually gave up and hired a pro to help them finish.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I'm the one who thinks you've lost your mind. But we can still do the beer thing, have to raise one to Harper.

Reply to
mikey

Yeah, at least with someone sensible like Harper in control (for who knows how long), my guns are safe ! But with a minority govt, his chances of lasting more than 2 years are slim. During that time, the Liberals will elect another leader, get their act together once again, and win the next election with a majority, and around we go again.

I'm afraid with the centralization of our population in urban centres, Canada has gone so far to the left, it will never recover permanently. We are unfortunately seeing only a temporary swing back to the middle !

Then the left wing, low life, Liberal shit starts all over again....:(((

RHC

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

That's *if* he's answering the phone...

Uh-huh... Don't forget to mention how handy it is splicing your contacts in the attic to avoid keeping the front door open too long...

It would help if you were doing it with an experienced installer helping. I'd suggest finding someone local that's amenable to giving you a hand.

And your math still sucks... You lived in Florida while you were on parole from 1979 to 1984. Lived in CT from 1984 to 1992 (or '93) and from 1996 to 1999. Moved back to Florida in 1999... So.. how is it you could have run a "small central station alarm company for 24 years" again?? Even if you took 1980 as the "start" of your business (according to the BBB it was January 1980) and 1999 as the last year you were directly involved in "running" it, that's only 19 years... I'd love to see you explain how it is you started a "central station alarm company" with absolutely no training or experience in the business before and what must have amounted to close to a "zero" customer base... But I guess that would be pretty easy to do considering who you are (the biggest liar and fraud in Usenet). The CS receiver on your nightstand must've been a bit of a pain in the wee hours of the morning. I just love the "kicks and giggles" you dish out, Robert...

Let's see... fourteen complaints at the BBB and four seperate online stores... Tsk!!!

Reply to
Frank Olson

I wonder a what point DIY becomes a deep sinkhole form time and expense for me at least.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I checked out your website. At this point, DIY appears to too much of an investment in time.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

No problem, Mike. When you get your bids in from professional installers, ask for all makes and models of the equipment they will use. Let me know what they are proposing and I'll tell you what I think of the hardware.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Most of the DIYers I talk to say they do it because they enjoy it or because they couldn't find a dealer they liked. Relatively few do DIY solely to save money.

If you enjoy this sort of thing, it might be for you. If you don't mind spending the time, same answer. If it's primarily a matter of getting the job done efficiently, go with a professional. Either way, choose carefully. If I can help with advice on your proposals I'd be happy to do so.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

And I notice that when you can't successfully persuade someone with facts via rational debate, you become abusive. So what's your point? js

Reply to
alarman

You may as well ask the cashier at Walmart which is the better TV to purchase, they, like you, know little about the products they sell other than the price.

Doug

Reply to
Doug L

Walmart sells TV's??

Reply to
Frank Olson

What you notice is irrelivant. What you consider abusive comes from your bad experiences due to your unsavory oral habits.

Considering that you never participate in any dialog, and didn't offer any help or information in this thread, except making smart ass remarks to and about people ...... I'd ask you what YOU're point is ........ but I know how you'd interpret that.

Reply to
Jim

Mike, Email me a rough description of the system you are looking for plus as much about the house (basement finished-unfinshed, # of doors,

1st floor rooms, etc), and I will help you design a system, price it out amongst the available chocies, and forward you the information. We'll look at various benefits/downfalls between choosing a national or local co. Hopefully we'll find the best fit for your budget without sacrificing safety.

Tom

Mike wrote:

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided tape

As is what you notice.

Nope, it comes from observing crude, overbearing misfits like you.

I will participate in dialog if and when I please, and not when you think it's relevant, pop. As I've said before, you don't run anything here but your mouth. js

Reply to
alarman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.