Newbie - How does DSL login?

We have 2 DSL connections right now. Original was through Covad, an ISDN/DSL I think they called it. All worked fine. We're switching over to a 'true' DSL through another provider. They brought in a new line and we're currently using that connection. The problem is that we can't send or upload files over 500k with the new connectio. Seems to time out. Works fine using the Covad line.

The question: My boss wants to connect, through the NEW provider equipment TO THE OLD provider. Seems like it can't be done without reconfiguring the modem. Can someone clarify how a dsl connection actually connects to the providers server? With dial-up I could change the phone number,username/password etc in the connectiod to connect to different ISPs. Both our DSL connections were setup by the providers techs so I'm clueless as to what they did. Just to be clear, I DON'T want to try my bosses suggestion.. don't want to mess with the modem settings.. I'm just looking for an explanation I can give as to why it's not practical.

Thanks in advance Marcie

Reply to
Marcie
Loading thread data ...

Yes, I definitely agree about calling Tech Support. Have been working with them but they say they're stumped. They're not yet convinced it's their problem.. think it may be a problem in our peer-to-peer network. I have the problem at the computer that's directly connected to their modem (Paradyne) but that computer has a 2nd NIC that has the connection to the LAN Hub so they say it's not supported. I'll take my laptop to work tomorrow and connect it directly to their modem to make sure it's not peer-to-peer interfering.

Good to know. Today the new provider said their line is ADSL. They actually have a different physical line in our phone bank. It has a RJ11 connection. The Covad connection is RJ45

The new provider is Integraonline. They've been very good to work with so I have no complaints. They're just being very thorough on narrowing the problem down. I'm not sure if they're using DHCP or PPPoE to their network. Their tech set the whole thing up. They say the modem (Paradyne) is configured as a Bridge and our computer uses DHCP for our peer-to-peer.

Thanks for your help! And the information you've already provided. Marcie

Reply to
Marcie

Yes, I definitely agree about calling Tech Support. Have been working with them but they say they're stumped. They're not yet convinced it's their problem.. think it may be a problem in our peer-to-peer network. I have the problem at the computer that's directly connected to their modem (Paradyne) but that computer has a 2nd NIC that has the connection to the LAN Hub so they say it's not supported. I'll take my laptop to work tomorrow and connect it directly to their modem to make sure there's no peer-to-peer interference.

Good to know. Today the new provider said their line is ADSL. They actually have a different physical line in our phone bank. It has a RJ11 connection. The Covad connection is RJ45

The new provider is Integraonline. They've been very good to work with so I have no complaints. They're just being very thorough on narrowing the problem down. I'm not sure if they're using DHCP or PPPoE to their network. Their tech set the whole thing up. They say the modem (Paradyne) is configured as a Bridge and our computer uses DHCP for our peer-to-peer.

Thanks for your help! And the information you've already provided. Marcie

Reply to
Marcie

The a call to the new provider's Tech Support line seems to be in order.

The old Covad connection uses ISDL (ISDN DSL) which gives you a maximum of 144Kbps each way. Covad uses that a lot since it is compatible with loop electronics (SLC).

It sounds like the new provider is using a "dry unbundled loop" which can support higher speeds but uses different technology for data transmission. The two modems *won't* be electrically compatible.

Who is the new provider? Are they using DHCP or PPPoE for you to connect and authenticate on their network? If using PPPoE you'll probably need to adjust your MTU down from 1500 (usually 1492 works) since PPPoE has an 8 byte per frame overhead.

More info and we'll be able to help better.

John

-- John P. Dearing A+, Network+ To reply: Just drop "YOURPANTS" in my address! 8-)

Reply to
John P. Dearing

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.