Issue with Verizon DSL Westell 2200

At random times, my connection will stop transmitting. Using P2P programs I can see the transfer rates at 0 and web browsing get page cant be displayed. The modem is active and what I have to do is power off the modem for a second and turn back on and the connection goes back to normal. I have done the latest firmware update even though was the same but did anyway just to be sure. I downloaded some xp winsock fix, that didnt do anything. The filter is where its supposed to be, no line noise at all. It was all working fine up until about 2 weeks ago. It kind of sucks when leaving the pc for an overnight download and find it doing nothing. Anyone else experiencing this issue or anyone know some fixes or files to replace?

Reply to
SpongeHead
Loading thread data ...

You can get excellent support for this in...

news://news.verison.net/0.verizon.adsl

Dave

Reply to
David H. Lipman

I tried every possible combination of server names, secure, authentication, and yes I did change the "S" in Verison to a "Z", first I got authentication error, so I tried my verizon UN and PW than I got not enough verification, and still cant logon to the newsgroup. I am using outlook express 6.

Reply to
Spongehead

I cant connect to that newsgroup, atleast with outlook express. I did try and change the S in Verison to a Z, but still no luck.

Reply to
Spongehead

Nevermind, just a fluke, its all working now. I'll subscribe to a few things here and see what happens. I am curious to know if I'm being "capped" in some way. It is constantly downloading and I know the RIAA and the MPAA have started another rampage.

Reply to
Spongehead

OOOps that was a typo, sorry :-(

However, news://news.verizon.net/0.verizon.adsl is valid. If you can't resolve news.verizon.net you can try; news://199.45.49.11/0.verizon.adsl temporarily.

In OE for this account check "this server requires me to logon" Then enter the "primary account" name and "password".

Dave

| > news://news.verison.net/0.verizon.adsl | >

| > Dave | >

| >

| >

| I cant connect to that newsgroup, atleast with outlook express. I did | try and change the S in Verison to a Z, but still no luck.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

news://199.45.49.11/0.verizon.adsl

I got it to work and posted my problem. All I got for a response was "They are watching you." Not very helpful. I was able to keep the transfers going for 24 hours only because the transfer speed down never reached more than 25 Kpbs. The modem seems to stop transmitting when going over into the 50's and up. So, it sounds like theres an overload of some sort.

Reply to
SpongeHead

I posted in 0.verizon.adsl subject is modem stops transmitting

Reply to
SpongeHead

Funny, I didn't see it -- and I looked for it.

Dave

| > However, news://news.verizon.net/0.verizon.adsl is valid. | > If you can't resolve news.verizon.net you can try; news://199.45.49.11/0.verizon.adsl | > temporarily. | >

| > In OE for this account check "this server requires me to logon" | > Then enter the "primary account" name and "password". | >

| I got it to work and posted my problem. All I got for a response was | "They are watching you." Not very helpful. | I was able to keep the transfers going for 24 hours only because the | transfer speed down never reached more than 25 Kpbs. The modem seems | to stop transmitting when going over into the 50's and up. So, it | sounds like theres an overload of some sort.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Yes..I see.

You went from a technical question to bringing up capping and the RIAA. Would did you expect ?

Repost with the subject used in this thread. Don't mention the RIAA !

Verizon does NOT cap. You should get no less than 90~95% of the rated download speed. If you don't... there is something wrong.

Dave

| > Dave | >

| I posted in 0.verizon.adsl subject is modem stops transmitting

Reply to
David H. Lipman

download speed. If

The only thing I expect from a news group is an answer, it was just not the one I was looking for. I have heard of ISP's trying to stop connections with constant downloads especially at high rates of speed, is why I mentioned the connection being capped, and only because the RIAA is putting pressure on everybody. So, if Verizon doesnt care what and how much you up/download, brings me to my first technical question, why is my connection stopping? When I am up/downloading, it is going at the rate I am subscribed for. I did repost on the verizon newsgroup with this thread subject in the subject line.

Reply to
SpongeHead

Stopping? There is a known issue with TCP not being able to fully use the other direction if one direction is fully saturated. The ACKs don't get through. This usually happens on ADSL when the narrow upload bandwidth is fully busy, and your downloads slow to a crawl.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

That makes perfect sense, although when running the westell diagnostic modem utility, it keeps trying to reset than eventually fails. Thats when I have to turn the power off and back on again. As a test, what upload limit should I be using for p2p programs?

Reply to
SpongeHead

Now that you have rephrased the question you are getting competent replies.

Dave

Reply to
David H. Lipman

This is a little odd, because you have plenty of bandwidth to and from your modem, it is the upstream line that is limiting. But perhaps the modem gets too busy to listen to you.

Determine your upload bandwidth (try the bandwidth test at DSLReports.com), then limit your P2P to never more than 90%. If it's still a hog, cut to 80%, or do a binary search for what works OK for you.

To some extent, this depends on your OS, and the "fairness" of its scheduler (round-robin). I have no confidence in Microsoft products in this, amongst other, respects.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

I am subscribed for 1792 KBits/Sec by 448 KBits/Sec, so as a test I set Emules upload to 10kB/s and Bitcomet the same so 20kB/s which is

50% and did some browsing while the download was at about 20-40kB/s and the modem still has the same issue. Although with just browsing, I never have to reset the modem. Is there maybe a winsock problem or one of the other windows files?
Reply to
SpongeHead

I switched to another local DSL provider using Verizons same lines and my issues have gone away, plus Im getting 3 down and 1 up, also is 5 bucks less a month. So, I would assume that Verizon was doing something with my connection. The only other thing it could have been is the Westell 2200, but I tried 2 of them, unless they both have the same problem. I now have the Westell Wirespeed which I believe is a lower end model but it works.

Reply to
spongehead

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.