SBC DSL Issues

Hello,

I am struggling through a problem with SBC where they are not able to provide DSL to us at our new office location. We are now past their line length limit.

There us an alternate provider, Speakeasy, who initially committed to installing DSL for us, but now tells me that they can't. They claim that SBC has implemented some technology over the copper pairs into the building that prevents their DSL signals from getting through. The thing had an acronym name similar to DSL, but I can't find the scrap I wrote it on.

So, I am interested in this technology and also interested in what other people have done when DSL is not an option for them. Cable is also unavailable. My office is in Emeryville, a block from Emerytech.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Reply to
ZmZmCar
Loading thread data ...

Perhaps they were referring to HDSL2? See

formatting link
for a reference. This passes DSL traffic along a single copper pair.

As for getting high speed Internet I could only recommend 1) getting a wifi card and seeing if anyone nearby is broadcasting an open signal and doesn't care if you "borrow" it or else 2) looking into one of the cellular broadband cards like Sprint, Verizon Wireless, Cingular, etc. have available. Option 2 obviously would be a lot more expensive than option 1 :-)

Reply to
gregarican

Another option would be something like DirecTV satellite Internet access. This option likely pretty expensive from what I've checked out but it's available anywhere you have clear unobstructed view of the Southern sky.

Reply to
gregarican

Yes but there's serious latency issues which while it won't really impact e-mail and browsing would preclude more time sensitive uses like VOIP.

Reply to
Rod Dorman

Good call. I didn't see this when I first was browsing the satellite service a few months ago. I saw the disclaimer regarding latency this time around

formatting link
.Makes sense seeing the 45K mile round trip!

Reply to
gregarican

Probably some sort of 'pair gain' gear. lets them multiplex 2 (sometimes more) over a single copper pair. Unfortunately, the multiplexed signals use frequency spectrum that interferes with DSL. In which case, you're simply SOL.

when DSL is not available, you have choices of: 'cable', which is also 'not viable' for you 'wireless', dunno if -that- is available in your area IDSL -- limited to 144k up/down, and may be relatively expensive. dedicated data circuit -- something like a 'T-1'. *expensive*, but available almost _anywhere_. also has the advantage that it comes with a service level guarantee -- typically outages of 4 hours or more cause 'escalation' to telco management. While, with DSL, you can be down for a week or more, while they're 'working' the problem.

last of all, 'dial up'.

Complicated trade-offs.

good luck.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I have a similar issue where I need to send DSL for about 5 miles past where its available. I'm looking at a radio solution. I have found a radio system that is basically a really long ethernet cable. 900MHz, not B or G. I'll install the DSL service at a location where it is available and 'ship' it to my location where I need it. If you're interested, drop me a line and I'll give you more info and the name of the company.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Plan Three: A varation on gregarican's #1 above:

Find someone in LOS who has broadband. create a wireless link between their router and your router and share the connection.

formatting link
Suggest you pay the difference between what bandwidth they have and the next level up, or otherwise share the cost.

Also suggest you buy them a firewall box to connect between their broadband router and their LAN so they can't accuse you of hacking their systems. A no-hard-drive PC with a P3-500 CPU and 256MB RAM, booting from running a Linux Live CD which contains a firewall is the cheap way, or you can just buy a firewall appliance.

Use 802.11a

formatting link
802.11b, g or whatever, as 802.11a was rare enough so Teen Age Hacker-San won't have it on hand and will inctead go hack someone else. Also, 5GHz is used far less than 2.4GHz so you might find less chance of interference.

Of course, implement WPA instead of the useless crack-it-in-three-minutes WEP.

formatting link
Very directional antennas are very useful
formatting link
will will need to rescale any homebrew antenna if you take my previous advice and use 802.11a (on 5GHz) instead of 802.11b/g (2.4GHz). If you're not a DIY guy, either buy the antennas or get a ham radio operator to make them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then, if you can get a 'dry pair' from telco, there's Plan Four:

formatting link

Reply to
John Bartley K7AAY

If you have more than a few phone lines, an Integrated T1 (combination data and phone lines,) may be economical. Or if you are using or interested in using VoIP, just a fractional T1.

Randy R

Reply to
Randy R

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.