Accessing DSL modem Through WRT54G

Why can't I access my Siemens Speedstream 4100B DSL modem through my wired WRT54G when the DSL modem is offline? I can't access the modem until it gets a public IP and tells the router about it.

Shouldn't the WRT54G (192.168.1.1) at least know the route to the modem (192.168.0.1) regardless of the internet connection?

Works fine if I disconnect the router and wire the computer right to the modem.

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz
Loading thread data ...

No. Anything that is NOT directed to 192.168.1.xxx goes to the default gateway at the ISP including 192.168.0.1. Since the ISP gateway has no clue where to send packets destined to 192.168.0.1. Therefore nothing goes through.

I've also tried setting up a static route in the router to the DSL modem, but that also didn't work.

However, some routers break the rules and automatically setup a static route to the connected modem.

Other routers, like DD-WRT, allow for a static router to the modem: (Replace the 10.0.0.2 with 192.168.0.2 if the DSL modem is

192.168.0.1)

Incidentally, the Speedstream 4100 is in my never humble opinion, a goo DSL modem.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Sqwertz wrote: : Why can't I access my Siemens Speedstream 4100B DSL modem through my : wired WRT54G when the DSL modem is offline? I can't access the modem : until it gets a public IP and tells the router about it.

: Shouldn't the WRT54G (192.168.1.1) at least know the route to the : modem (192.168.0.1) regardless of the internet connection?

: Works fine if I disconnect the router and wire the computer right to : the modem.

Try placing your WRT54G on the same Sub-Net as your DSL Modem (192.168.0.X), where a Standard Choice would be 192.168.0.254. Remove 192.168.0.1 from the WRT54G's DHCP Server's Dynamic DHCP Range. Then you should be able to see the DSL Modem while it is Off-line, plus is would mean one less level of NAT!

Lawrence Houston -- ( snipped-for-privacy@greenfield.dyndns.org)

Reply to
Lawrence Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.