Does DSL Speed Correlate With POTS Speed?

I'm thinking of getting DSL. It is available in my area now with a download speed of 3 Mb/s (to my number and neighbours).

However the best connection speed I can get over my phone line with a

56k modem is 31.2 kb/s. With the same computer I was able to connect to freenet at 48k over long distance from Toronto.

As my POTS line isn't the best, can I still get a good DSL connection?

The odd thing is that my exchange (613-731-xxxx) was one of the first in the Ottawa area to be electronic -- I've had TouchTone since 1974, and I have always had very reliable connections to freenet, even when other members were having connection problems and dropping lines etc. Maybe a solid line at a lower speed beats a high speed flakey line :-)

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Before you invest your money in DSL, I would at least look at a cable modem. Cable is typically just a wee bit faster, plus you get the flexibility of changing telcos if you find a telco you like better. PAT]
Reply to
Harry Dodsworth
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.