Your Favorite Install Tool?

Well, a) I'm asking lots of questions, and getting lots of free help, but more importantly, b) I suggested that I found alarm components to be unsightly. Some people might be sensitive about that! ;-)

Seriously, I agree that they're not more unsightly than say a thermostat, or doorbell, or ... It's still not a reason to put the alarm sensors in conspicuous places if it can be avoided (though I do realize that sometimes it can't be avoided; they have to go _somewhere_ and they might as well go somewhere where they'll do some good).

Noted ...

Also noted.

I'll consider that. In any case, if they don't, it will probably be worth my while to have them move it anyway.

I don't think I'd want to delay the dialing, but to dial before sounding the local alarm doesn't seem to me to be a bad idea.

Reply to
Sylvain Robitaille
Loading thread data ...

:-)

-

formatting link

I just pick up cargo pants cheap at Value Village and such places. They have tons of pockets of varying sizes, and they're expendable :)

Oooo, that's cool!

I prefer the PicQuic drivers

formatting link
- they come in both regular size and stubby, the bits work in most any standard screwgun or cordless screwdriver, and changing bits is the easiest and least annoying of any design I've seen. I have a couple of those MegaPro units, but the double-ended bits won't work in my Milwaukee cordless driver or any standard bit-holders, and pulling out the back of the handle and trying to pry bits out of those little holders is a PITA. At least compared to the PicQuic, they are.

A 2-AA Minimag will only make the Rottie mad. You wanna defend yourself, you need a 4-D Maglite, minimum :)

Ugh... the thing I don't like about LED flashlights is they have NO range. Where the reflector in a normal flashlight takes ALL the bulb's light and concentrates it forward, LEDs have their own marginally-effective internal reflectors that really do very little to concentrate the beam, and the flashlight's reflector, if any, becomes meaningless. LEDs are great for a bright, white light... up to about three feet.

Nice!

Reply to
Matt Ion

Dial first and delay the siren...interesting idea. I dont know of an alarm panel that can do that out of the box (maybe dunno), you could probably rig a time delay relay on the siren though.

| > No...why? You're asking good questions. | | Well, a) I'm asking lots of questions, and getting lots of free help, | but more importantly, b) I suggested that I found alarm components to be | unsightly. Some people might be sensitive about that! ;-) | | Seriously, I agree that they're not more unsightly than say a | thermostat, or doorbell, or ... It's still not a reason to put the | alarm sensors in conspicuous places if it can be avoided (though I do | realize that sometimes it can't be avoided; they have to go _somewhere_ | and they might as well go somewhere where they'll do some good). | | > It's been my experience that recessed contacts in metal framed windows | > tend to get welded closed by a close lightning strike, and you'll | > never know unless you are religious about testing all your window | > switches on a regular basis ... | | Noted ... | | > with a surface contact even the dumbest | > homeowner can look and see if the magnet is lined up...or missing. | | Also noted. | | >| We had the phone company look at it (we'd requested that they move it) | >| when we bought the house. ... | >

| > They'll move it if you squeak louder. | | I'll consider that. In any case, if they don't, it will probably be | worth my while to have them move it anyway. | | >| It would be interesting (for future reference, really) to find an alarm | >| system that dials first, and sounds the local alarm later. Or does such | >| a system already exist? | >

| > Some panels you can delay the dial out for a few seconds...personally | > I wont do that but you can do whatever you want. | | I don't think I'd want to delay the dialing, but to dial before sounding | the local alarm doesn't seem to me to be a bad idea. | | -- | ---------------------------------------------------------------------- | Sylvain Robitaille snipped-for-privacy@alcor.concordia.ca | | Systems and Network analyst Concordia University | Instructional & Information Technology Montreal, Quebec, Canada | ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Crash Gordon

formatting link

-

formatting link

formatting link

Reply to
JoeRaisin

I thought it seemed interesting but I somehow doubt somebody would race to cut a phone line AFTER forcing entry but I hear some are pretty dumb... Interesting project though... you could rig something up with Programmable outputs I'd surmise.

Reply to
mikey

LSDI has a tool that doesnt appear on their web...must be new. My partner bought one yesterday and its very cool. I monster magnet with a roller sleeve which will attach to a short spring tape and a roller (looks like a big wallpaper edge roller) with mongo magnet inside. You drop the smaller sleeved magnet down the wall with your wire attached and use the roller magnet to move it around through the drywall...the magnet is incredible monster strong...its really awesome...and kinda expensive.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Im thinking that he's thinking to gain some response time by having silent alarm for a few seconds.

| >

| > | > No...why? You're asking good questions. | > | | > | Well, a) I'm asking lots of questions, and getting lots of free help, | > | but more importantly, b) I suggested that I found alarm components to be | > | unsightly. Some people might be sensitive about that! ;-) | > | | > | Seriously, I agree that they're not more unsightly than say a | > | thermostat, or doorbell, or ... It's still not a reason to put the | > | alarm sensors in conspicuous places if it can be avoided (though I do | > | realize that sometimes it can't be avoided; they have to go _somewhere_ | > | and they might as well go somewhere where they'll do some good). | > | | > | > It's been my experience that recessed contacts in metal framed windows | > | > tend to get welded closed by a close lightning strike, and you'll | > | > never know unless you are religious about testing all your window | > | > switches on a regular basis ... | > | | > | Noted ... | > | | > | > with a surface contact even the dumbest | > | > homeowner can look and see if the magnet is lined up...or missing. | > | | > | Also noted. | > | | > | >| We had the phone company look at it (we'd requested that they move | it) | > | >| when we bought the house. ... | > | >

| > | > They'll move it if you squeak louder. | > | | > | I'll consider that. In any case, if they don't, it will probably be | > | worth my while to have them move it anyway. | > | | > | >| It would be interesting (for future reference, really) to find an | alarm | > | >| system that dials first, and sounds the local alarm later. Or does | > such | > | >| a system already exist? | > | >

| > | > Some panels you can delay the dial out for a few seconds...personally | > | > I wont do that but you can do whatever you want. | > | | > | I don't think I'd want to delay the dialing, but to dial before sounding | > | the local alarm doesn't seem to me to be a bad idea. | > | | > | -- | > | ---------------------------------------------------------------------- | > | Sylvain Robitaille snipped-for-privacy@alcor.concordia.ca | > | | > | Systems and Network analyst Concordia University | > | Instructional & Information Technology Montreal, Quebec, Canada | > | ---------------------------------------------------------------------- | >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Not LSDI...I think it's labor saving systems instead.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

They have some cheesy demonstration videos at this site

formatting link
Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Thats it but thats not the manufacturers site...which I still cant find, but I think theyre in texas maybe. The tool is cool though.

| >

| >

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I think you'll find its the same company Labor Saving Systems

3017 Woodford Dr., Arlington, TX, 76013 Phone:817/320-2288, Fax: 817/261-6904
formatting link
Reply to
Doug L

what ever!! LOL

"Crash Gordon" a écrit dans le message de news: 0zX7f.63$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net...

Reply to
petem

"JoeRaisin" a écrit dans le message de news: lo28f.25198$ snipped-for-privacy@fe03.lga...

Nope I think he like to have the KP right in the face! LOL

Reply to
petem

Here is what you need:

formatting link

Reply to
alarman

ah no kidding what a noobie looking site.

| >

| > | >

| > | >

| > | | > | | > | | >

| >

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

OK, here goes:

I was called one mornin', it was drizzilin' rain- The Olson's alarm wouldn't set again- A window cracked open at the end of the hall- This time they're payin' for a service call.

js

Reply to
alarman

Great stuff...youse guise should take the show on the road...like those two car repair brothers on the radio saturday morning...Frick & Frack Alarm Doods, singing all yer favorite alarm gingles.

| >> >> > You sound like me, no matter how easy it looks it just ain't gonna | >> >> > happen. | >> >>

| >> >> The fish tape _knows_ I'm no pro at running cabling through walls and | >> >> ceilings! :-) | >> >

| >> > You push sixteen feet, whadda ya get, | >> > Another bay over, and you ain't there yet, | >> > Crash Gordon don't ya call me cuz I cain't go, | >> > I need that wire to my keypad below. | >> >

| >> > js | >>

| >>

| >> Bravo!!! Bravo!!! Encore!!! Encore!!! :-) | >

| > OK, here goes: | >

| > I was called one mornin', it was drizzilin' rain- | > The Olson's alarm wouldn't set again- | > A window cracked open at the end of the hall- | > This time they're payin' for a service call. | >

| > js | >

| >

| | The alarman's a-rollin' on down the road | His van's a-haulin' a hefty load | Ladders n' wire n' what else you see? | Sixty-five binders for DSC! | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Right. Will dig through my collections of Electronics reference books for something that will work. I'll be surprised if I have nothing suitable in those.

Reply to
Sylvain Robitaille

Precisely.

Reply to
Sylvain Robitaille

in

LOL :-)

I got up one mornin' when the sun didn't shine- I picked up my ladder and I started to climb- I hung sixteen cameras before mid day- Lookout ADT, get outta my way! js

Reply to
alarman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.