Your Favorite Install Tool?

"-)

I had to leave a Hole Hawg up in the rafters of a church...drilling through a glue lam beam and it wedged itself in real good..couldn't even open the chuck...had to leave the drill up there...that was a grand slam...no fires though. But, that old Milwaukee is still up there I bet!

| >

| >

| > | >

| > | > Sylvain Robitaille wrote: | > | >

| > | >> Crash Gordon wrote: | > | >>

| > | >>

| > | >>> Basement is almost the same process...easier if your basement | doesn't | > | >>> have a finished ceiling. | > | >>

| > | >>

| > | >>

| > | >> The old, very damaged, suspended ceiling was removed the week I | bought | > | >> the house. It's remaining with no ceiling until I finish several | > | >> rewiring projects, which I admit will be a few years at least. | > | >>

| > | >>

| > | >>> Except you wont have the problem of drilling out the roof...only | > | >>> smashing into the basement stem wall with your drill bit...and of | > | >>> course water pipes. | > | >>

| > | >>

| > | >>

| > | >> Oh yes, of course ... water pipes. Thanks! | > | >>

| > | >

| > | > And 110 wiring... Don't forget 110 wiring. | > | | > | A friend was having a cable outlet installed in his apartment for a | > | cable-internet hookup. The cable installer was drilling down through | > | the floor and hit a 110 wire, and shorted it to something else metal, | > | and started a fire. | > | | > | Fortunately, his apartment was right across the street from the fire | > | hall.. :) | > | | > | | > | --- | > | avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. | > | Virus Database (VPS): 0543-1, 10/25/2005 | > | Tested on: 10/25/2005 10:04:11 PM | > | avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software. | > |

formatting link
| > | | > | | > | | >

| >

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon
Loading thread data ...

Subject: Re: Your Favorite Install Tool? Newsgroup: alt.security.alarms => Doug L You drill glue lams ?

Only half of it apparently.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Or how about drilling thru the ceiling in a boiler room, next to the wall, for some surface-ran wiring, and hitting a 120V wire ran thru the ceiling nailer. (Knew right away cause the lights went out.) The fire in the attic was small, though, and put itself out. And this was the first of 21 pre-wires....

Rick C.

Reply to
ranger

It seems to be the type of thing I'm thinking of, yes. Thank you.

Whether is what I "need" is, of course, open to interpretation. :-)

Reply to
Sylvain Robitaille

Would this handle the current drawn by the siren, or would it simply energize the device (relay, SCR, other?) that would?

Reply to
Sylvain Robitaille

Ouch! I bet it was more than a little painful to leave that there ... I think I would have wanted to rescue it "no matter what".

Judging by the reactions of others to this, perhaps you should have expected it would do that?

I don't understand that, but I also haven't seen a Hole Hawg's chuck first hand. Couldn't get in to use the chuck tool?

I shudder at the thought of the damage it might cause on landing if it isn't ... "Lord show me a sign ... WHUMP!"

Reply to
Sylvain Robitaille

I'm with you Doug... It's a "no-no" (even in the land of "grounded plastic gang boxes")... :-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

IIRC the board has a relay already.

Reply to
Matt Ion

So did he approve a second hole to run the wires?

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Yep...it's permitted if you know where to drill and make a small hole and there's asbolutely no other way.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

It was approved by the architect engineer..there wasn't any other way to get were we needed to be and it was only one small hole.

| >> I had to leave a Hole Hawg up in the rafters of a church... | >

| > Ouch! I bet it was more than a little painful to leave that there ... I | > think I would have wanted to rescue it "no matter what". | >

| >> drilling through a glue lam beam and it wedged itself in real good... | >

| > Judging by the reactions of others to this, perhaps you should have | > expected it would do that? | >

| >> couldn't even open the chuck... | >

| > I don't understand that, but I also haven't seen a Hole Hawg's chuck | > first hand. Couldn't get in to use the chuck tool? | >

| >> But, that old Milwaukee is still up there I bet! | >

| > I shudder at the thought of the damage it might cause on landing if it | > isn't ... "Lord show me a sign ... WHUMP!" | >

| > -- | > ---------------------------------------------------------------------- | > Sylvain Robitaille snipped-for-privacy@alcor.concordia.ca | >

| > Systems and Network analyst Concordia University | > Instructional & Information Technology Montreal, Quebec, Canada | > ---------------------------------------------------------------------- | | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

The angle it jammed in there bent the drill enough to render the chuck stuck or whatever.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

The first hole wasn;t much of a hole...only a 3/8 inch plus a old steel reinforcing bar...the drill bit :-0

| >

| > | >> I had to leave a Hole Hawg up in the rafters of a church... | > | >

| > | > Ouch! I bet it was more than a little painful to leave that there .... | > I | > | > think I would have wanted to rescue it "no matter what". | > | >

| > | >> drilling through a glue lam beam and it wedged itself in real good... | > | >

| > | > Judging by the reactions of others to this, perhaps you should have | > | > expected it would do that? | > | >

| > | >> couldn't even open the chuck... | > | >

| > | > I don't understand that, but I also haven't seen a Hole Hawg's chuck | > | > first hand. Couldn't get in to use the chuck tool? | > | >

| > | >> But, that old Milwaukee is still up there I bet! | > | >

| > | > I shudder at the thought of the damage it might cause on landing if it | > | > isn't ... "Lord show me a sign ... WHUMP!" | > | >

| > | > -- | > | > ---------------------------------------------------------------------- | > | > Sylvain Robitaille snipped-for-privacy@alcor.concordia.ca | > | >

| > | > Systems and Network analyst Concordia University | > | > Instructional & Information Technology Montreal, Quebec, Canada | > | > ---------------------------------------------------------------------- | > | | > | | > | | >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Your inspectors are either better educated or a lot more liberal than here. I'm afraid to take a chance. Doug's PDF was an eye opener though. js

Reply to
alarman

Imagining that drill on the end of the bit stuck in the beam like that reminds of the Sword In The Stone somehow.

Reply to
mikey

The engineer/architect handled all the details and told us where to drill the hole and how big it could be...I'd never do it without clearance from Clarence.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Rumor is we're not supposed to drill through them around here. (???) Don't know if it's a myth or not, but, no one ever does it.

Reply to
Jim

Ah, OK. I thought you were working without a net on that one. js

Reply to
alarman

oh no, not me...i'm a firm believer in cya.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

It's best not to, but it *can* be done with proper guidance...and written permission to cya.

| > I had to leave a Hole Hawg up in the rafters of a church...drilling through | > a glue lam beam and it wedged itself in real good..couldn't even open the | > chuck...had to leave the drill up there...that was a grand slam...no fires | > though. But, that old Milwaukee is still up there I bet! | >

| >

| | Rumor is we're not supposed to drill through them around here. (???) | Don't know if it's a myth or not, but, no one ever does it. |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.