Bore Scope sale

link to a sale for bore scope

formatting link

Have never used one but the concept is interesting... Can see many applications where this might come in handy..

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel
Loading thread data ...

Rocky,

My 2 cents!! I got one of these about a year ago. Paid less than what is posted.

formatting link

Does it work?? Yes!! Is it hard to use?? Maybe, depends on your thoughts. Was it worth the expense?? Not really!! Is it a cool tool to show your friends?? Absolutely!! Would I buy another if this one died?? No way!! Can it be used to perform a self evaluated colonoscopy?? Yes, but with rougher edges!!

Experience: 2nd floor wall, I drilled a hole through sole plate inside wall to 1st floor. Needed to get fish rod through hole to 1st floor wall cavity. Trying to hold camera in one place while trying to guide fish rod to hole through a single gang wall cut out at the same time. Besides being somewhat disoriented because of visible video and orientation of rod to hole I gave up after 10 minutes and just closed my eyes and poked till I hit it. And that was at a distance of 16" from cutout to hole behind wall.

I have used it as well just to see what was blocking my path. It does help to a point, but again in my opinion not worth the expense for the application as YET.

Maybe some day it will prove to be the best tool in the box.

BTW if you check eBay for borescope you will see some that are USB that can be connected to a laptop. I considered doing that as opposed to the PlamScope but decided that having all self contained to be the better choice.

Good luck on your decision.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Thanks Les, I've seen and heard both sides of the story ever since the things came out.. Like you expressed, I've got to the point (35 years) I can work a fiber rod into places my co-workers said was impossible.. (I just chuckle) and tell them patients, not to rush the rod and "feel" the rod as it passes over and around objects.. (my record so far was a 43' fish between 1st and 2nd floor chamber) took all of 12 minutes.. Auhh good times.. LOL I would say the glowing tip was a big improvement on the fiber rods, over drop ceilings with insulation it really helps..

RTS

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

tm_content=DD15D5

Hi Rocky, I've had one for about 3 years now and have used it 3 times. It "kinda" hel ps. Gives you some idea of what's in the hole and what your dealing with. A s Les says, orientation of the camera is a problem. It's hard to tell if yo ur looking at something on the left or right and takes a few tries to get t he picture oriented so you know which way is which. Mine doesn't have a pic ture reverse feature which would be helpful in knowing which way to move a snake or such. It's like trying to do fine work by looking in a mirror. As Les says, you can't "easily" use it and handle a snake at the same time but at least you can get a mental picture of what's in the hole or possibly pr op it up so you can use two hands with the snake. But it's cumbersome.

Is it a "necessary" tool? Not really. Like you, I've worked to many years w ithout one and can snake a wire up a brick wall. I'm from the "really" old school. I've never used the push rods.

I didn't look closely at the unit in your link but be sure it doesn't have a rechargeable battery. Between uses, if the battery is worn down you'll ha ve to wait for it to recharge. Replaceable batteries are better.

Would I buy another if mine broke? At this price? Yeah, sure, because I'm a tool guy and believe it's better to have it and not need it, then need i t and not have it.

And talking about orientation of objects ...... here's a little tidbit some one just told me. I don't know how true it is but they said that only some people can put their hand in a box, not seeing what's in the box, feel an i nanimate object in the box and be able to draw a picture of it.

I thought everybody could do that.

Reply to
Jim

I've been tempted to get one a few times, but then common sense weighs in. I have used my cell phone to reach inside a box size hole many times to have a look around. I am sure sooner or later I am going to drop my cellphone inside a wall though.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I got a smoke wire up into a 2nd floor wall (was aiming for baseboard) and decided to go drill a hole in the top plate in the attic where the glow rod was inside the wall. I snagged the 22/2 used for a pull with a fish tape in about 10 minutes too. I made it look easy and had two witnesses . They were saying they would never hear the end of that one - and they didn't for a little while

Reply to
G. Morgan

Yea, they don't build us like they use to.

When I am asked "how did you do that??". I just answer with "It's Magic!!! and a smile"

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

My favorite was a general contractor who asked me how I was going to contact a double door with sidelights and a 3 panel solid transom window. I told him I was going to drill through two of the divider posts in the transom and then drill over size holes to match through the top beam of the door, and then drill 3/8 holes through the door jamb head. Then if his guys needed help we would stand there on ladders and guide the wires through everything while they set the window. When we were finished I turned to ask the general who was watching the whole time what he thought. His face was beaded with sweat running down, and he said, "You will never do that again! I'll make sure there is room for you to go around. from now on."

Years later he still remember when I drilled through that window. I would just remind him I did it then and I have that many more years experience now.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I guess the best trick I ever learned was the fishing weight and a ball of string.. Attic to basement drops, no sweat, look for a vent pipe, water line, chimney, HAC feed lines, one of them will always have a enough space to drop that little honey all the way down. Just did an 1845 house 3 stories, got lucky was able to drop all the way down and branch off on each floor with smokes and pir's from the same cavity.. brought a tear to the ole bosses eye.. LOL

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

I tell them that as long as there's no Kryptonite around, I've got XRay vision.

Hey, I was just thinking, I wonder if anyone every thought about having a a "National Wire Snaking Contest" ?

Might be a good promotion for a wire manufacturer to have at some of the trade shows.

Reply to
Jim

Then you'd have to buy a bore scope to find it. :-)

Reply to
Jim

Na just dial the number and chop a hole in the wall where its ringing.. LOL

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

Once was doing a rancher I found the 1st floor wall in the basement and drilled up with a 3/4" drill. I then went to the attic and found the wall and did some measuring. Drilled another 3/4" wall. Dropped a sinker on a line and was surprised that it did not hit anything. Tied it off and went to the basement. Only there to find the sinker on the line swinging in the breeze. How cool was that?!?!?! :-)

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

That didn't happen to be near a large hill with back problems, did it?

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Reply to
ABLE1

It took me a few time of reading that until I think I get smile..................

Then I read it a few more and didn't...................

Don't try explain it, I will just smile with a confused look...............

Reply to
ABLE1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.