Installing Internet/WiFi and Ethernet wiring and doing the setup

What's goin on with everyone? . I've got a 2500 sqft single story house under construction. He's a builder and this is going to be their retirement home. All wiring is being brought back to a utility closet in the office . I'm doing alarm. No contacts on windows, just audio glass break detectors in each room with windows. ( That's what they wanted) Contacts on doors. 3 Keypads, Four smokes. Using Napco 1664 and DK 1 (blue backlight) keypads. . Four outside cameras, Three in the front ( one looking at the front door) . One in the back looking at the pool and cabana. I've stopped using Hikvision some time ago after they got hacked and I've always felt uneasy about a Chinese company providing CCTV cameras anyway. Now using a company that's become very popular around here called INViD . Make a decent line of cameras and assembled in Mexico or South America someplace (I Think) I like the peer to peer method of mating the cameras to the phone app, rather than having to do port forwarding and getting into the customers router etc. Once you do that, every time they have a router problem it becomes mine. No more of that. I wanted to put in more cameras but they think they don't need them. I know they'll be sorry later but . . . . . . . . . . I'm Installing Internet/WiFi and Ethernet wiring and doing the setup. Using 2 Ubiquiti UniFi Access points. AP AC PRO 802.11ac plus a Netgear Nighthawk router and 16 port network switch. Ethernet wires to each TV plus various other locations. Six TV;s Used 2 inch flex tubing from basement to the Bedroom, Living room and Family Room TV's so wires can be pulled to TV's in the future. I'm sure Fiber HDMI cables will be becoming more popular as TV's go from 4K to 8k and on up and get faster and faster processors so I wanted to leave access for the future. Other TV's have Ethernet hookup for streaming only. . One of he TV;s is going to be outdoors on the covered patio with an honest to goodness outdoor rated TV set. In the past I've had customers just put a regular TV out doors and they take it in in the winter time. They'll last a few years and then throw it away. I'm Running the interior RG6 for 3 cable boxes boxes too. Running the Living room TV and the Patio TV from the same cable box and have to use an HDMI extender for the Patio TV. since they're about 40 feet apart. I don't want to take a chance with a 50 foot HDMI cable and a 50 foot fiber cable cost too much at this point. . I couldn't get them interested in audio though. I offered a Sonos controlled speaker system inside and for the future around the pool and the patio but they said to hold off, maybe in the future. But I'm sure they have other more immediate things to spend money on now. Wiring isn't in for the pool and the cabana yet so maybe I'll get it done then. . Comments and suggestions welcomed. How about every one else? Got anything good going on?

Reply to
Jim Davis
Loading thread data ...

Golly Gee Whiz Jim, you be a busy guy!!!

Comment #1: I don't do Glass Break Detectors anymore unless the customer can't be talked out of it. Had a few false alarms and they can't be properly tested with out breaking a window or two and curtains and such will defeat the purpose.

Comment #2: Please provide more info on the INVID cameras that you are using. Are you using WiFi Cameras to the network and app on phone??

Project #1: Old 4 Story building turned into a 7 unit apartment building. Installing a Aiphone Intercom system with 2 door stations.

Project #2: Single house GC2e system no monitoring.

Project #3: Barn WiFi system to allow video streaming and other activities. Ubiquity wireless points and network 350+ feet from the cable modem.

Beyond that I need to go and mow the grass and other yard work!!!

Hope all yous' guys' is doin well.

Later,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

HI Les,

I've been using the GE / Interlogic 5812-RND audio glass break detectors for a long-long time now and haven't had any problems. Main reasons I like them are They"ve been reliable, the price, and because they're round (easy to mount in any location unlike the rectangular shaped units) I have their 5709 tester which I use (for what it's worth) to test each of the units. Haven't had any false alarms and when I've had occasion to test the units well after installation they work ok. However, I have not had an occasion where they have actually detected an intrusion. When I heard the UTC was shutting down the GE product line I immediately purchased 50 of the detectors and 50 of the glass break shock sensors. I figured that there wouldn't be a replacement for the round units. I kind of figured right. I think it's Honeywell who now has a round detector but it's more that twice the price of the GE units. Good move on their part but we'll see if the market will allow them to hold that price for any length of time. I'm hoping by the time I run out of what I bought there'll be some equivalent replacements available. Most modern homes around here nowdays use the translucent blinds. No more curtains or drapes so that's not a problem. Also, I've told them that if the system is armed and a sound something like breaking glass occurs, even on a TV program, the system can likely trip. They've accepted that.

With regard to the INViD product line, Of course you can go to Invidtech.com for more info but these are what I've been using so far. Their product line keeps advancing so I haven't zeroed in on any specific models. I've done about 6 - 7 jobs so far using their equipment. including two commercial systems. From two cameras residential to 11 cameras commercial. Had to return two cameras out of about 30/40. no NVR's Pretty sure there's a two year warranty. I'm dealing with a local distributor but I think INViD sells direct also. You'd have to check with them. If you have an Alarmax distributor near you , they carry the line. Cameras: InVid PAR-P8TXIR-LC 8 Megapixel Outdoor IR Turret Camera, 2.8mm Lens, White InVid PAR-P8TXIRA3312F 8 Megapixel IP Plug & Play Outdoor IR Turret Camera, 3.3-12mm Lens, white NVR: InVid PN1A-16X16-2 16 Channels 4K Network Video Recorder with 16 Plug & Play Ports, No HDD Camera back box: ipm-jb4ac If you want my prices, let me know and I'll Email to you. I don't and haven't used WiFi cameras. I don't like the fact that they're going to drop out as soon as there's a network problem. If I ran into a case/problem where I had to do it though, I guess i'd give it a try. But as long as I can talk my clients into the cost of hard wire, I continue using it.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Les, I never looked into either the 2GIG or Alarm dot Com products or services. I don't have the feintest idea of what either of them do. At this stage of my life, It's probably my inherant rejection of having to learn how to program a new panel. Especially since I've been installing only Napco panels for over 40 years. I don't mind learning a new product like Ubiquity, or Starlink etc, - - - - - - - But a new panel ? I don't know why but - - - - Oooogie ! . Also, what method did you use to travel the 350 feet with the network?

Reply to
Jim Davis

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the input on the InVid camera stuff. I use Alarmax and will investigate on my next camera job. Totally agree on the WiFi camera thoughts. I did one some years ago, NEVER AGAIN!!!

Later,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

As for 2GIG GC2e panel. It has a lot of capabilities. The documentation for this panel sucks, as most do these days. The system allows voice notices for a zone being opened. Such as "Front Door Open". On of the zones on this new install is "Interior Garage Door". You don't type in the names you have to choose from a list that is provided in the docs. There are maybe 286 different words and or phrases that are available. The unit has a touch screen and when you are at the location to program the zone names the first is shown as "abort" and you can type in the word number to enter the first word. So I look at the list of words and go to the "G's" - the first G is "Game" it is number 100 on the list. The next is "Garbage" it is number 101. Looking at the rest of the list there is no "Garage". I am thinking that's odd. So I find the the docs say that it is for Firmware v1.31. I check the panel it is v1.32. hmmmmmmm so I look on line and the docs that I have is all that are available. ??????? I then think maybe the panel has a Garage in place but I don't know the number. So I start tapping the next key until I reach the "G's". 100 is "Game" and 101 is "Garage" and there is NO GARBAGE!!! Stupid TYPO!!!!

Anyhow, you have now been educated with Chapter 101a of 2GIG Security Panels by Professor Les. Hope that made your day!!!

Have a better day!!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Instead of 2GIG you might want to look into Qolsys, easy to program, integrated Alarm.com radio and compatible with Interlogix and DSC sensor wireless compatibility that has a range of a mile (and yes I did verify that)

Reply to
mleuck

I used 2GIG since it's inception and never needed the installation manual but not quite sure why you think it sucks it seems better than most

Reply to
mleuck

Lots of years ago, I think FBI had a talking panel and then there was (I think ) Apex. And if I'm not mistaken, Napco has one also. Doesn't the "Freedom" keypad have voice? I forgot. I thought the talking keypad was just a fabulous feature years ago. BUT, - - - - on the few I installed the customers all called me back and asked me to shut it off because it was too annoying to have to constantly hear "The sliding door is open", "The sliding door is open", "The sliding door is open", "The sliding door is open", - - - - as the kids went in and out to the pool. And on those panels the user didn't have access to turn off the voice I think there was a car that had a voice notification too. "A door is open" etc, etc while you were trying to talk to somo one. That lasted about one model and the next year it was gone.

So again though. How did you get the network to the barn? Cable,? Ubiquity outdoor access point? Semaphore? Dixi cups and string?

Reply to
Jim Davis

LOL All documentation sucks when it has errors, bad translation, missing pieces, vague descriptions, meaningless dribble, etc. etc.

Such as the following:

"Power supply operation Open the battery cover, and place the battery of 2 knots in the electromagnetic box of the recuperator."

I typed exactly as was written in the documentation for a TENS neck massage device that I just purchased.

Then again the documentation for the 2GIG is better than most.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Sorry Jim my bad!! Got distracted......................

Originally I ran cable from the house to a tobacco barn to a Data Switch and then up a hill in conduit to a pole that I mounted a EnGenius wireless bridge that sent the signal to another one on the barn that is about 120' away. From that unit cabled 200' through the attic of the barn to another switch and a EnGenius WiFi Point. That worked fine until there was a lighting bolt and some parts went elsewhere. Replaced the EnGenius with Ubiquity antennas. Again all seems to work fine.

Now they want to start streaming video from the barn. The speeds can't handle it and it was decided to hardwire all the way to the barn with Data Switches to boost the signal. Will be placing Ubiquity Wireless Points. 1 ea. U6-LR and 3 ea. U6-Lite units placed in the barn and stable areas to get coverage.

There will be a Unifi Cloudkey installed to control all the points.

Cabling will be a pain!! But doable. All T&M.

Hope all that makes sense.

Reply to
ABLE1

WOW! And all that just so the cows can watch Opra! and Dr. Pol. Amazing. Well, I guess there's something better about the milk from a satisfied cow.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Oh, I guess I forgot to mention that this is a Horse Riding/Training Barn. No Cows on the property.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

now come on Les, there's cows there, there just "on" the horses... ;-)

RTS

Reply to
RTS

That's Funny!! But, comparing a cow to the good looking riders is bit off key. I would have chosen another 4 footed animal to compare! :-)

Actually there are Cows on the Amish Farm that is on the other side of the road. Along with Horse Teams for pulling Plows and Buggies. Ain't no technology as we know it, happening there!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Hey Les

Maybe you could talk the Amish into buying some plastic cups and rolls of string for local communication and some megaphones for long distance.

So have you ever heard this one? What is this clip-- - - - clop, clip - - - clop, clip - - - --clop, clip-clop, clip-clop, , BANG, BANG, BANG, clippity-clop, clipity-clop, clippity-clop, clipity-clop

It's an Amish drive by shooting.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Yes, that is a very oldie!!

I had a job to install a Fire Alarm in a renovated building that was going to have 8 apartments. The building owner/contractor was Amish. The deal was 50% to start, 30% on delivery of equipment and 20% on completion. Did the pre-wire and when the place was ready to start the install I got the equipment and delivered to location and received a check for $2600. Two days later I found out that the check had bounced. I was on my way to another job. I turned around and when to the apartment site. The place was locked up, no one on site. I got the outside key and went inside and removed all the parts and placed in my van. Then I called the Amish guy on his cell phone. I told him his check bounced and if he wanted the job completed it would have to be cash or a cashiers check before I would continue. He said, "Well you don't know how to work with the Amish!!" I never told him that I had removed the equipment and I never went back. I informed the local inspector I was off the job. I used the equipment on other jobs there after.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Sounds to me as if you know how to work with the Amish very well indeed !

I think there is this mythical notion that because the Amish lead a very austere life style reminiscent of a more innocent and - - - a person is as good as his hand shake - - times, that they are not up to date in the wheeling and dealings of todays business. If you want to delve into it, do some research on who was associated with enforcement for Howard Hughes during his Las Vegas days.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Yes the Amish are not that "tech savvy" but with it comes to making a buck that is a different story. We had a Amish Carpenter build us a solid cherry china close as well as some cabinets, desk and counter for our kitchen. When it came time to install the stuff we got a postcard saying that his driver had a medical issue and wanted to know if we could help by picking up the materials, tools and him and bringing all to the house for the install. I borrowed a friends pickup truck and my wife drove our Subaru Station Wagon and we drove about 20 miles to his shop. Loaded everything up and came back to the house. We unloaded all and he got to work. About hour later he said he forgot his circular saw and asked if I had one. I said yes, and got my saw and extension cord. He was set up in the front yard. I heard the saw running and then an abrupt stop and the lights flickered. I went out front and he was standing there looking at the ends of wire to the saw that he just cut through. I think he was looking for the hydraulic fluid that he thought was running the saw. He looked at me and he said. "I think I cut your Vire!!" I said; "Let me get some things and I will fix it." "You know about dis stuff??" I got some wire nuts and tape and made the splice. Flipped the breaker back on and he got back to work. He said; "Vel, it is good you know about dis stuff!!"

Told him to be careful!!!

Oh, I can't type it all that well but, you can apply some Dutch Accent to his words in order to appreciate the moment. :-)

BTW the work he did for us was excellent and remains so today!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

They were Mormons, he used them because they didn't drink if I recall

Reply to
mleuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.