Recommend a punchdown tool?

Greetings all, Can anyone recommend the best 110 style punchdown tool for the money? I don't need the best of the best. However, I would rather spend a little more and get a quality tool than deal with the headaches of an inferior product. Also, could someone explain the difference/advantage of an 'impact' vs. 'non-impact' punchdown tool? I am building a home network and will be using the puncdown tool for a couple of Cat 5 patch panels (110 style) and 30+ wall-jacks (110 style).

I have looked at several brands: Harris Paladin Ideal Greeenlee

Reply to
dirtft
Loading thread data ...

They are all good brands and the dollar difference between them is not real great. If you know someone in the business, see if you can borrow theirs for a day or two and give them a new (or nearly new - only about 250 punches) blade for the loan. Cost is then about $20.00 if I remember right. (It has been literally years since I bought a blade.)

The non-impact styles are something you want to stay away from with the number of terminations you are planning. Essentially you put the wire in the contact, push with the tool to start the seating process and then whack the end of the tool with your palm to drive the wire between the IDC contacts and cut the tag end. Palms get very sore after the first 20 or so.

Reply to
Justin Time

"dirtft" wrote in news:licZc.126648$Lj.79944@fed1read03:

I bought a harris tool and it was pretty good.

Impact tools are spring loaded. When you push down, there is a spring which snaps the head down onto the block - thus terminating the wires. Non-impact ones are like a screwdriver, you'll need a hammer or your hand to push the wire down.

Buy an impact tool if possible - it'll give a cleaner and more consitent punch. Plus their eaiser to use too : )

Reply to
Lucas Tam

Thank you Justin Time and Lucas Tam for your info. and suggestions! I will definately go for an impact tool to save my hand.

Kind Regards, dirtft (Do It Right The First Time)

Reply to
dirtft

If you have a ReTool store in your area, go there. This is a used tool buy/trade store. I find telco tools in there all the time. I've seen puch tools that still have a lot of life in them selling for under $20. For just some light work over a weekend house install, something like this will be perfect. Also, look on eBay for a used punch tool. Save some money and, if needed, buy a new blade.

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel R. Patterson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.