Re: Quality Ademco engineering

Anyone can do it.

There is a merit badge for lying on Bass Level, no one has attained it.

Reply to
Apu Nahasapeemapetilon
Loading thread data ...

They are not that complicated. They display the information as concise as can be. I've become so familiar with them I can flip to the section easily. But I guess if it's not your brand it's easy to be frustrated. Napco manuals still defy logic for me, but I suppose Jim can flip to the page quickly and absorb it.

Reply to
Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

You expect us to remember 8 or 9 years ago when most here can't remember what they did last week?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

That may be the case but a 6160 isn't needed and you can program just as well with a fixed english like it's little brother the 4120XM.

Which bud at P1? They've only had a few hundred people in and out of tech support in the past 10 years

Reply to
Mark Leuck

What I said was accurate.

Go to MyWebTech and type 4140XMPT2 into the search box. Then click on Keypads to get a list of compatible keypads. You will find the 6160 listed as compatible. It isn't. It doesn't work with address 00 or 01. The 6160 instructions don't mention the problem either.

I think it's pretty stupid to build a keypad to replace the 6139, and not make it emulate a 6139.

I don't expect perfection, but I at least expect some sort of attempt to inform customers of compatibility issues. Otherwise those of us in the field waste time and money screwing around with problems that are not our fault.

And as Jim said earlier, Ademco manuals are poor quality. After all these years, you guys still haven't figured out how to make an index. All you do is have a computer compile a list of keywords. That's not an index.

Here's a couple examples I pulled out of the Vista-50P index. These are just examples, not specific complaints. In the index, no entries for:

Compass Downloading (except for a couple of program entries) Direct wire downloading Clock Set clock Test timer Timer test Zone expander

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

I wish manufacturers would take that message to heart. I been buried by their broken promises.

Well I was talking about today and not when dinosaurs walked the Earth. For the record the D8012 used the 5000 programmer and it would "hang" on the panel. It used a 5010 to burn customer text into PROM chips. There were only eight zones and a few lines of programming. The D8112 version E, G, G1, G2 used the 5100 (Wanda) programmer. More zones, POPITS, RAM II etc. More training was needed then, but there were still fewer options that the current G series panels. On G series you can use a

5200 programmer but most BCSDs use RPS. G series panels do require 3 day training. And yes Joe Lamontange still teaches it. I have found him to be a good instructor. Joe has been with Bosch so long that even though he is a bit of a maverick, Bosch still puts up with him (unlike his ex wives). Dean Kugler is a good instructor too. No matter what happened in the days of the 5100 programmer, there are enough folks that want to be Bosch dealers today that watching a video would cut it for training. You can get certified on the new easy series panels by going on line, but not much else.

I don't need yours either. If a BCSD was getting training on your gear, I'd bet he hadn't met his quota and had the "boot" letter from Bosh in his files already, especially if he was as lame as you claim. Honeywell is just his back up hump, you know just like every w**re has. What gear do you have that Bosch doesn't? Let me see Bosch has the entire BVIP line. Where are your video encoders? Or yes, the DVM that looks like re-branded Axis maybe, just like the re-branded Mercury panels? Oh wait, you have to be a NexWatch guy and get trained I bet! And Northern Computers Access Control? Yes there is a priceless piece of gear to go with the rest of the NexWatch stuff. DVM edge encoding? Yes. Edge recording? Nope! ANR? No again. Even your top of the line stuff is bottom of the barrel. This industry is moving in an IT direction. Although it is important to know basic electronics, a good understanding of IT is becoming very important as well. Those type classes are available at most community colleges as well as the training in basic electronics important to the alarm industry.

Reply to
Roland Moore

The information is there. Each of the compatible devices is a clickable link. Here's what you get when you click on

"Newer models of this keypad, as of 2004, may not be compatible. They will give the correct status display, but will not send commands to the panel. If replacing or adding a new keypad, use a different model keypad that is compatible, or it may be an option to upgrade the control. 2-line alpha keypad that must be assigned to an address in *93 device programming."

I think you owe the gentleman an apology.

Apparently either it was decided not to continue supporting the 4140XMPT2 or upon discovering the issue they decided not to fix it. It's not as though the

4140XMPT2 is a big seller.

I found the compatibility issue explained with a single mouse click.

That's an industry-wide issue. Honeywell has no corner on poor tech writing. While writing a help system for Edwards' FireShield control panels, I wanted to incorporate the installation manuals in the help system. I found the manuals so poorly written that I offered to rewrite them (for a fee). The manuals had already been submitted to UL so changing them at that point was not an option.

That's standard procedure when writing tech manuals in programs like Word. After each chapter is written the author goes through the text and marks words that need to be indexed. When the doc is finished, Word creates the index file automatically. It's done that way for good reason. During the creation of a tech manual images may get inserted after the text, causing changes in pagination. Text can also be added, edited or deleted at any time with the same result. Without automation the entire index would have to be rewritten every time a manual is revised.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Keep in mind that the Vista-50P is a lot older than Compass, I can't think of a manufacturer that mentions much about the downloading software in any panel installation manual

All three of these are in the table of contents

They have some mention of timers but the zone expansion is also mentioned in the table of contents

Reply to
Mark Leuck

And yet when I click "custom display" on the Napco LCD keypad, I can't find any mention of being able to program more than 16 characters per line, yet you say you've done it.

Oh give me a break. Who the hell are you anyway??

The "help system" you "wrote" used a "canned overlay". All you did was "fill in the blanks" with nonsense like MarkStepFather, etc. And you landed this job because your sister called you in.

Reply to
Frank Olson

I forgot his name, it was 2 years ago , he's not doing 1st level calls (as I imagine you don't either). He has a foreign sounding name and he said he still talks to you every couple of months (well 2 years ago anyway). He knew you when it was Westinghouse, he stayed when they called all you guys back, you had moved on. Nice guy, I wish I remembered his name.

Reply to
Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

I've always been able to find what I need in an Ademco/Honeywell manual... I have had general questions about the Vista series panel, and have had them answered via e-mail by tech support within 24 to 48 hours...

Russ

Reply to
Russell Brill

I don't take any calls, not my department

Sounds like Lennox

Reply to
Mark Leuck

That's him. I don't know why I thought he had a foreign sounding name. He spoke very fondly of you, he knows Rojas too. And he definitely knows his stuff.

Reply to
Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

He's from Trinidad

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Ahh, so it was the accent I remembered.

Reply to
Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

"Mark Leuck" a écrit dans le message de news:

46244a2b$0$5660$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com...

Mark,please keep in mind that Alcohol abuse do have bad effect,and memory problem is one of them...

You better call that AA pal of yours... ;-)

(if you don't see the humour here..well too bad....)

Reply to
Petem

At least you quit top-posting.

Reply to
Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

proof that frogs are trainable.:)

Reply to
GROUP MODERATOR

Not so fast..

It seems to be hit-and-miss. More data is required. :)

Reply to
Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Try

formatting link

WRONG

Reply to
secure15

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.