Ademco programming

You "can" program almost the either panel without the 6139, you only need it for zone programming. Most of the time I don't install a programming keypad, but I always carry one on the truck...with long alligator clip leads on it. Any user programming can be done without the 6139. I highly discourage homeowners from programming their system if I am monitoring it...actually I don't allow it at all. If this is y our house you're talking about then install a 6139 or the newer programming keypad...I think the 6160 can program but double check on that..I cant remember fer sure.

There's also a secret way of programming without the 6139 but it's kinda goofy, so I don't do it much.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®
Loading thread data ...

Hey, I have a really dumb question. I'm reading that Ademco panels require a 6139 keypad for programming. So what if you give the customer a different keypad? Are they expected to never reprogram the thing themselves? Is this so that they never can?

So I guess if I get a Vista 10, I had better get the 6139 keypad or I'll be out of luck. :-)

Reply to
Sue Odom

I had that 8.95 a month company try to steal a client of mine the other day. I unlocked the panel so they could try to program it....they totally screwed it up. I had to go reprogram it, and I ended up with the client back..but a total waste of my time. So they wasted the client's time by telling him they could program ANY panel (they couldn't) and they wasted my time as well.

You can't find a reliable company in your area?

A legit company will only lock you out while you are being monitored...and unlock you when you leave. I do it all the time.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

There isn't any reliable local alarm company where I live so I installed my own system. How good are these online monitoring companies that'll do the programming remotely for $40 or so? I could take the time to program my Ademco, but if it's only $40, I wouldn't bother doing it myself. I think the big risk is whether or not they would lock me out of my panel.

Bob

Reply to
Mel

As an installing dealer of monitored security and fire systems it's rare to come across a customer that wants to program (or reprogram) their own system. Even on a local panel about the only thing the customer really needs every once in a while is to change the master or secondary user codes. On systems that need special programming keys or keypads and the customer hasn't opted to purchase them, they have no choice but to call the installing dealer if they want to make any changes. Besides, it's better for the customer that *you* do it anyway...

Reply to
Frank Olson

You can't find a reliable company in your area?

No, not a single legit company in this area. It's bubba the electrician, bubba the plumber, bubba the alarm tech. Before installing my system I called several companies. All of them had the same deal, 2 door sensors and

2 motion sensors and $40 a month monitoring. I explained that I was adding a room on and wanted to know how expansion would be handled and what if I wanted the new room hard-wired. Duh, something different than our standard package? They didn't know and wouldn't do anything except what the sales people were programmed to sell. Some never called back or simply didn't show up for the appointment. You seem to think every DIY or homeowner wants $8.95 a month monitoring so you look down on them. I expect to pay a reasonable fee and get reasonable service. On the other hand, I'm not paying AD* $40 a month when they can't explain what I'll get.

Bob

Reply to
Mel

Being an engineer and also a programmer, it's a natural for me to fiddle with gadgets. Yes, I know most people wouldn't want to. That's great for

*you*!
Reply to
Sue Odom

Any of the Ademco/Honeywell Alpha (6139, 6160, 6160V) keypads can perform local programming... FYI: you can use one 6160 (for programming) along with one or more of the 6150 (cheaper than the 6160) keypads on the same system......... Good luck with your project, Russ

Reply to
Russ Brill

I used my most recent experience as an example.

I guess if these companies have enough monitored clients to be able to sell a product at such a low rate and still make money so they will be around next year...more power to 'em. Biggest questions are; what are they not offering, what are they not doing to save money?...daily test signals? physical service calls? no local licenses?...they got to be cutting corners somewhere. Personally, I always try to do business with someone I can talk to and physically meet with if I need them.

In your case, being in an area where you can't find a reliable company there may be no alternative. Where are you located anyway?

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Engineers are weenies, but he can do it himself...if he speaks or at least can read Alarmlish :-)

Go with the 6160's they're more modern looking than the 6139. You may wanna go with the Vista 20P, newer, more zones, and does a little more.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

There are murmurs, though nothing official, that the 10se & 20se will be retired soon.

It's good to have a translator!

I have a good client who is/was an engineer type with Motorola, on the first house I did for him he wanted to get into modifying the chip on a Radionics

6112...sheesh...he made me crazy.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Rural Tennessee, the meth capital of the world.

Bob

Reply to
Mel

Ok, thanks. My boss is putting a system in his newly remodeled house, and since he's an engineer, I'm telling him he can do it himself. You know, engineers are all weinies ( Hey, I have a really dumb question. I'm reading that Ademco panels require

Reply to
Sue Odom

Here's a place to start looking. While being a member of the NBFAA does not guarantee anything...

formatting link
maybe you can find someone this way.

I quit my association when it became just a mutual-admiration coffee klotching political bullshit society :-)

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

I was a member of local, national and nfpa for abt 15 years abt 10 years ago it seemed the local became so self serving and the national was all about the trips to Hawaii for the big mucky mucks. Too much hot air fer me.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

You quit when they stopped serving alcohol. Mikey (a reliable source when it comes to drinking) told me all about your penchant for the grape, RHC :-) And it's CHECKS not CHEQUES! Damn Canucks.

Reply to
no wires showing

Hey, thanks! I appreciate the advice! I can translate to and from Alarmish for him. Pretty soon, he be speakin' da language.

Thanks again.

Go with the 6160's they're more modern looking than the 6139. You may wanna go with the Vista 20P, newer, more zones, and does a little more.

Reply to
Sue Odom

Hey, now you're also describing 1-CANASA up here....(why I won't join)....and...2- The Association of Ontario Locksmiths (exactly why I quit....)

IMO, both these organizations do nothing but cash your cheque. The real issues that threaten our industry don't even get addressed unless they are dragged into them....

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

formatting link

I quit my association when it became just a mutual-admiration coffee klotching political bullshit society :-)

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Yeppers...and you?

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Lemme guess...Mesa?

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.