Re: Quality Ademco engineering

I understand the difficulty in trying to map every field of the old panel to the new panel. But lots of information stays the same. Receiver format, receiver phone number, zone types and alpha descriptions all stay the same. Even the field numbers are the same, in some cases. If they would copy the obvious stuff, I wouledn't mind filling in the blanks now and then.

This problem will eventually come up with every programmable panel in the field today. They'll all need replacing eventually, and when they do, the old panel will be obsolete, no longer available. Even if you use the same brand, it means reprogramming the whole panel. That isn't so bad for an eight zone system. Replace a 60 zone panel and it is a lot of extra work.

That's the problem: the info is wrong. The website says the 4140XMPT2 is compatible with the 6160. It isn't. Ademco documentation is poor.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio
Loading thread data ...

Agreed. One other problem is that EEPROM real estate is always at a premium. As a result, manufacturers frequently find it necessary to shift the addresses of data points when designing new panels. This is rarely so when a new version of the same panel so in those cases it is usually easy to transfer the data.

You're absolutely right about that. There is one manufacturer that has sort of addressed the problem -- Edwards. I know because I was involved in designing their software. The downloader employs an XML schema to define every aspect of the data. Although the design was originally intended only to facilitate rapid deployment of future models it lends itself to solving this problem. The app as written does not specifically address panel upgrades. However, it would be far easier to write an add-on routine to enable it because none of the panel characteristics are hard-coded into the app. Everything is in the XML schema.

That stinks. I hadn't run across that before since I've not had occasion to provide a new keypad for one of those.

I just ran up against a related Napco foul-up. Due to the new DST parameters, Napco offers upgrade chips. Their tech support assured me that the new chip for the P3200 would work fine for a customer's Version 11. When he tried it though, it did not work at all. I called tech support again and was told it muyst be a bad chip. I sent the client a replacement chip. Same problem. This time I called and got a different tech support guy. He informed me that version 11 is *not* upgradable. %^&$^!

I gave the customer a refund, sent a call tag to pick up the useless chip and thought mean thoughts about Napco. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Please see compatible list/ Non compatible list on web link My Webtech at the Honeywell Security website.

Nomen is wrong, it is all there in a list, Please use it as it was put there for you.

as to the recall we actually had a field fix but did not like trusting it to field personnel so we changed the boards. Remember please we did not sun set the analog service, your Congress did. And to help with the problem with offer a rebate for the old units as well as competitive products

It may interest you to know that on a national Beta test that ended 2 weeks ago, another GSM product was shipped to dealers all over the country. Of the

75 units shipped, less than half were installed and registered as the dealers agreed they would.

Wonder how many "Beta" products are just sitting around in stock rooms and basements.

But then everyone wants it sooner, and they do not want any problems once they get it.

I guess Nomen flipped my switch as every day I and my team members receive calls from many folks that don't care enough to even read a manual and feel they are just entitled to be walked through whatever, and then want to abuse us when lack of preparation on their part causes an issue. I drive to jobsites and training appointments every weekday, typically 4 days (and nights) out each week and the guys that put this stuff in on the vast majority have no previous training or even entry level education to prepare them for the job. The I read here how it is the manufacturer's fault.

Guess I will catch some grief for responding but hey, I have writen the truth about how I feel.

Reply to
Seccon1

actually according to:

formatting link
the 6160 is listed as compatible. I've never run across a 4140xmp2, but a 4140xmp works with the 6160 if you address the keypad as "00".

I don't remember getting an invitation.

Or sold on Ebay!

I'd had really good luck with the support department for the last few years. I remember it used to be a huge hold time, but that improved.

Reply to
Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Then how were they originally hand programmed?

The 6160 works with the XMP - but in non-supervised mode.

Reply to
Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

I use the MyWeb Tech site all the time. It's one of the best resources online (well, other than my own website that is).

What?!? No college degree? Whatever you do, don't use the word, primate. It makes some people go bananas. :^) [private joke]

Grief comes with the territory. You sometimes need a thick skin in this newsgroup but it's not all that bad. It's nice to have someone from the manufacturing side post. I hope you'll stick around and continue to participate.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

It is a nice resource. It's intended for industry pros that buy stuff through distribution. You seem to thing it's okay to dole out the login credentials to everyone.

He didn't say anything about a college degree. I suspect he's up to his eyeballs from calls resulting in your non-existing support from end-users. That makes MY hold time longer, and I do read the manuals.

I hope he will tell his boss to change the MyWebTech login to individual users, and report you for theft.

Reply to
Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

formatting link

The XMPT2 would have to have the keypads addressed like a Vista-40

I got that invitation, I've still got the beta products which still work fine

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Yes and so do the people who you publicly gave the login to

Reply to
Mark Leuck

You can program the XMP with a fixed english keypad, there are no menus that require an alpha

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Reply to
I brive a dus

Okay, so now you want them all back?

As long as any manufacturer makes their products available through distribution, then the trunk slammer headaches you describe are going to be the result. If you want to see the quality of techs using your brand improve, there are many things you could do on your end. Some companies like Bosch, DMP, Verint, (to name just a few) refuse to sell their product to anyone that has not PASSED (not just attended) a training course on the product. Another technique used by companies that have product available through distribution (like American Dynamics) is to offer a better discount level on the product to companies that send their employees to training. I know that you have training, I have not been to effective Honeywell Security training; comparing it to other vendor's training. In many cases the training seemed far more sales oriented than technical. There are more ways than these to help solve the tech problem for sure, but until I see at least ONE being tried by your company I find it hard to believe Honeywell Security is being proactive or even serious about your complaints. The fear of declining sales or market share erosion seems to stop any real action on addressing the problem. To me this problem you describe remains firmly the manufacturer's fault. Reason? NOT ALL MANUFACTURERS HAVE THIS PROBLEM. ONLY THE ONES THAT CATER TO THE TRUNK SLAMMER MARKET DO, LIKE HONEYWELL SECURITY AND DSC.

"Seccon1" wrote in message news:W1yUh.52$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe03.lga...

Reply to
Roland Moore

No, I just would like professionals to keep their word or not give it.

So why does Bosch sell sensors through distribution, It's been a while since I installed Radionics (Bar Reader Programmer 5100 I believe, panels we used were 8012, 8112, ) but they sold a Fire DACT called the Notifier 911 (Not to be confused with the Moose 911) So that is one thing you are Wrong about.

Bull, I sat through Joe Lamontange's classes in Atlanta and if your techs could not pass the class they still got the pretty little certificate. All your company had to do was send folks to Marrietta GA, (Roy Thurston was the rep. then and if you could not attend but Radionics wanted your business bad enough they would send you Jim Kelly's video instead.

Please, you clearly do not know what your preferred vender does.

I do not know what ADI Expo class limited to 2 hours you have attended and called it a technical training but I will stack any training presentation and material that we provide against whatever is available.

Unlike others here, I will not pretend to be "All Knowing" But I have installed, serviced, run a CS, worked for manufacturers (through 4 acquisitions) and distribution. I doubt seriously you can teach me much little man!

What accredited tech school program specifically supports this industry? Besides the program through Lincoln Technical Ins. (5 campus locations) there is no place that and individual can go to specificly learn this industry. Even the CEDIA approved EST program does not equip. the average tech. But every year, owners with attitudes much like yours throw the new hires to the job and say "here is the manual". Please, give me a break, I taught a class to a dealer just today that had the Bosch Logo everywhere and had to cover closed loop, open loop, series and parallel circuits and the difference between dry contacts and open collector outputs. Where were the superior, truck equiped techs then.

Give me a break, My cow died, so I don't need your bull.

Reply to
Seccon1

You can also program it with a 6160. I did it. I still remember the asshole's home address. You can ask your bud @ P1 support, he helped me do it.

Reply to
Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Years and years ago, I used Ademco equipment but stopped using them because of their poor documentation. Equipment was ok, it's just that the documentation was written beginning to end with no index or even a table of contents. If you wanted to change a particular item in the programing, if you weren't totally familiar with the panel, you had to start reading from the beginning of the instructions to find out the particulars on a specific programing point or call and wait on hold for tech support. Not even a frickin glossary of terms. Back then, Napco had an alphabetical list of programing points and even the numerical locations in the program, a table of contents and index.. Never used Ademco again unless it was a takeover.

Reply to
Jim

I'm gonna give ya a little hint.

You're in the wrong group to cop an attitude.

I'd suggest that you step back, take a deep breath and read some the the history of this Newsgroup ..... then decide if you're ready to take on the reprecussions. In spite of what you think are credible credentials in this industry, if that's all you've got, you're in over your head already.

It's just a suggestion ..... take it or leave it.

Reply to
Jim

Regarding Bosch, you're both kind of right. They do limit some items (so far) to their own dealers but most of their gear is sold through distribution. I know because I carry over 1,000 Bosch products online and I've never attended their classes. I can't sell some of their high end video stuff or their control panels. Those are Bosch dealer only. It's not a problem though. With literally hundreds of manufacturers willing to sell to us, our selection is growing faster than an OT thread in ASA. :^)

I think it's unfair and demeaning to call everyone who doesn't sell proprietary systems trunk slammers. Only Tom Fowler, Graham Morgan and I have received official certification as Trunk Slammers. The rest are mere Van Bumpers. Kindly remember that next time you post.

For the rest of you non-certified folk out there, please register in advance for classes at next year's EH Expo. I will be giving classes in Beginning and Advanced Trunk Slamming while down the hall Mr. Fowler will hold classes in Advanced Counter Top installation, Door Knocking 101 and (for already certified TS1 card holders) Free System Sales 203. The FSS-203 class does have a prerequisite of at least 6 credits in Automatic Renewal, Multi-Year Commitment and/or Beer Binge 201. ADT Authorized Dealers are of course eligible to take the advanced placement test due to "Life Experience".

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I forgot to mention that all graduates will receive a free tank top with their first name inscribed in Sharpie on the front and the famed Trunk Slammer Incorporated logo emblazoned across the back. A sample of the logo is available here:

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Amazing what short memories exist here, about 8 or 9 years ago in this group when I responded to the Clock issue on the Z1100 and got chewed out there was plenty of attitude to go around.

I don't write every nite as many here do and as I have stated in the past many of the answers that are posted are accurate so when the point is made, I see no reason to go on and on.

Furthermore, I don't dig up personal crap on fellow posters as I have seen done here for years. Sometimes, I do get good feedback from this group and I have passed it on to whomever I worked for at the time whether it was Wade Moose, David Steele, (Moose Products), Ken Boyda (Sentrol then Interlogix) or now with the product managers of Honeywell.

As to coping an attitude, well when you see erroneous information posted about your company (Nomen's post that we do not notify folks about compatibility) well it just flipped a switch. and when someone gave their opinion that our organization essentially causes the problem. I simply gave an opinion.

Seems like years ago I contributed copies of the Scantronic Products to the Library Jim, Seems like I also wrote a letter years ago when Ademco wanted to stop the distribution of Ademco manuals on Tech Man

Don't remember anyone not wanting my input then.

So, Can anyone complain and Lie here or is some special requirement needed?

I'm gonna give ya a little hint.

You're in the wrong group to cop an attitude.

I'd suggest that you step back, take a deep breath and read some the the history of this Newsgroup ..... then decide if you're ready to take on the reprecussions. In spite of what you think are credible credentials in this industry, if that's all you've got, you're in over your head already.

It's just a suggestion ..... take it or leave it.

Reply to
Seccon1

systems trunk slammers. Only Tom Fowler, Graham

Get f***ed...

Don't include me in your little jokes, I find you despicable. Quit trying to usurp the NG for your own personal gain and try to get along with the group and maybe I'll joke around.

You do it with every post as of late. You play stupid as in: Message-ID:

While the OP has no clue of what you're up to, every regular does. You're trying to establish banter so you can swing a sale, right?

Damn You Robert. Why can't you just play by the rules?

You are a manipulator. You have severe personality flaws too.

formatting link

Reply to
Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.