DSC 1555 vs DSL

I visited a client today on an unrelated matter and was surprised to see DSL filtres on the phones. Sure enough, she has high speed. The 1555 has been faithfully calling in daily and has never missed a beat. I installed the Exce... whatever (why do they make it so hard to remember the name?) filtre anyways but the thing is 30 bucks. It's kinda difficult to ask the customer to pay for it when they don't see why it's needed. I guess not clobbering her overnight downloads from that wrestling site make it justifiable but it's still a bit of a hard sell.

*** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com *** *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
formatting link
Reply to
mikey
Loading thread data ...

If you feel bad about it, make a big deal that you're only charging them your cost for the part then. You didn't order dsl for them didja? I doubt it...so why should you donate the part. btw they're only 24 bucks here.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Your contract should have a line similar to this:

"15. The Subscriber shall forthwith notify of any structural alteration or any other modification which might affect the Alarm System or the operation thereof. Any alteration of the Alarm System which may thereby become necessary shall be made by at the Subscriber?s expense."

I would consider VOIP, or a DSL modem on the primary telephone line the systems uses to fall into the category of "other modification which might affect the Alarm System or the operation thereof".

Tell your customer that you value her business and her safety. The DSL modem could affect the panel's ability to communicate. Install the filter!

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

He's in Canada. C$30 is worth about $1.98 in real money. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Mike, it has been my experience that DSC panels generally require the ADSL filter (yes....the one you nor I can spell correctly) right from the "get go". You can be lucky and find some that initially will communicate, but I wouldn't count on it working long term once the board components start to age (that's my assumption; something happens over time that messes up it's ability to dial properly...). Insist on putting the filter in right up front, even if you only charge the cost of the damn thing.

My experience with Paradox has been the complete opposite; they never seem to need the filter to communicate properly; however, still a good idea to install one so as not to interupt those overnight music downloads....(yaa, bit torrent....)

You just have to explain why the thing is needed, and if you do, I have yet to have anyone refuse to have it installed....

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Mike Just explain why the filter is needed, and let her decide. Write on the service ticket the reason for the filter, and if she declines, have her sign it. js

Reply to
alarman

A little under $20 in CA.......

Reply to
Russell Brill

Or how about:

The use of DSL or other broadband telephone service may prevent the System from transmitting alarm signals to the monitoring facility and/or interfere with the telephone line-seizure feature of the alarm system. Such services should be installed on a telephone number that is not used for alarm signal transmission. Subscriber agrees to notify Company and M.A. if DSL has been installed or Subscribers intends to install DSL or other broadband service. IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE INSTALLATION OF DSL OR OTHER BROADBAND SERVICE SUBSCRIBER MUST TEST THE SYSTEM?S SIGNAL TRANSMISSION.....

Reply to
Russell Brill

In a previous post you said those filters don't work. Do you still believe that?

Reply to
Talibass

If you let SBC come out and install your adsl service they often replace the existing protector with a new version that has a filtered output. Then they run a line from the unfiltered port to the location where they install a new jack for the adsl modem. Since they charge $200. you should darn sure get the new protector and in that case you never know the sub has adsl.

On the self-install option they send the bag of filters and tell you to plug each phone into one but not use one on the modem. Until recently they did not mention security systems but now a small notice is enclosed in the bag of filters warning that you security system 'may' be affected if you make any changes to the telephone wiring. They also mention that if you have a security system installed by SBC you won't have any difficulty.

Reply to
thesatguy

That is not what I said.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I find that most of my alarm panels will communicate to central station without a DSL filter but I absolutely cannot do a successful upload/download without one in place. I sell them to my customers for $39.95 and have never had anyone complain. If they have DSL, they are generally a tech-savvy, upscale person and are perfectly capable of understanding they why of the filter. I also tell them that the filter will help keep the alarm from degrading the quality of their DSL and improve their performance.

We even install a DSL filter if the customer is planning to add DSL in the future. It saves me a trip back.

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

Reply to
Everywhere Man

We're going to include them in the cost of the install. I figure that's the best way to go. I figure that we're actually going to make money now that we've switched to Loxxon. No more wire, ladders, drills, contacts... Sell the vans and buy Smartcars... Life is good!!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Yeah... He finally convinced me to drop Paradox and get rid of all the DSC "junk" (RLB's favorite descriptor). I figure Bob and I are gonna give AlarmFarce a run for their money... We'll eventually corner the Canadian Market, then set up a couple guys in California and Texas. Can't touch Noo Yawk. Jim's already refused because the ones they make for boats rust solid in a few weeks. I figure it's all those cheap recycled American Beer cans they're using for the box. :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cost in Houston is $20-$22 depending on supplier....

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

That price is ridiculous. See if your supplier will lower the price for a bulk order or find a new supplier.

Allan Waghalter wrote:

Reply to
Everywhere Man

They are only 18 and change here.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

I pay double that in CA dollars up here. An alarm dealer being robbed ha ha.

*** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com *** *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
formatting link
Reply to
mikey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.