GE Allegro

Any opinions on this panel? How reliable is it?

James

Reply to
J Barnes
Loading thread data ...

GE is preparing to sell off some of it's security divisions. The line that was Interlogix/ITI will be gone soon. They are retiring all the wireless products, and support/parts will be gone in a year.

Look elsewhere.

Reply to
Karl Magnus

if some company is going to go through all the trouble and money to purchase why would they then discontinue and not support the product they purchased? Makes no sense to me.

Reply to
Chub

Karl, Could you point us to where you got this info? There a a few dealers on this forum who would be quite upset if this is true! Can you give us some hard proof?

Karl Magnus wrote:

Reply to
Mike Sokoly

*** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com *** *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
formatting link
Reply to
mikey

Karl,

What? You want facts? Must I remind you this is alt.security.alarms? Facts are ignored here at all times in favor of rumor and innuendo (No, Doug, that's not a new version of Nintendo made 'specially for you).

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I wouldn't be at all surprised if GE sold off some of its security operations. When Jack Welch was chairman of GE, he wanted each GE division to be #1 or #2 in its market. As he put it, "Fix it, sell it, or close it."

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Seems to be good... a huge improvement over the Simon series anyway (especially with the wireless phone module).

However (after installing maybe 30 of these panels), I do have some issues...

- seems to get communication errors, especially while testing... i'm assuming it trips over it's own feet when it tries to send too many signals at once (more than one)

- phone module can be a pain to enroll... i suggest getting it enrolled before you go to the other side of the house to mount it so you don't have to go back and forth to check everytime to see if you got the little sequence right

- panel will give a low battery trouble for the first few hours after initial power up... just ignore it

- very limited number of names for the zones... no "patio door" for example

- other than the occasional failure to communicate troubles, i'm not sure there's any kind of phone line monitoring... got all the way to testing for signals last time i installed one... then i realized the jack wasn't plugged in... panel seemed to have no clue

- minimum of 15 second dialer delay

- only 4 user codes, including master

Otherwise, it's a good little panel overall. Easy menu based programming, last one done without a manual or mask sheet or anything. Seems to be easy to use, haven't had to do any re-training yet.

Range seems to be good too. I haven't had to use the included antenna extension yet. Furthest I've had to go was a door contact about 6 typical wood/drywall walls, one layer of sheet metal, and about 150-200 feet away... works flawlessly.

Reply to
shady

It works but pretty limited in capabilities, if you must have a remote dialer use a Simon with a DTM module

Reply to
Mark Leuck

That is complete garbage

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Let's see... GE bought: Acron Scantronics DTI C&K Moose Sentrol Caddx ITI OsborneHoffman just to mention a few and although many folks may not have bought any products from these companies they did exist as competitors so you had a choice and now all thats left is a couple of items from all of the above.

And now I understand the GE attempt to purchase Honeywell is back on again and if successful would eliminate the need for any of those other lines. A couple of years ago the government had some concerns GE was buying up all these companies and blocked the Honeywell purchase.

Now GE could logically claim they don't own any other security firms if they are all kaput and for all practical purposes doesn't the Interlogix product line seem more or less kaput now?

They spent a lot of money to take everyone else out of the market and now Napco is the only independent left but they are not any competition to anyone but if they can keep going another year they may be in the catbird seat.

Reply to
thesatguy

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided tape

You had a choice but a real shitty one, look at what DTI, Acron and Scantronics made. They were bought out for a reason and that reason is they were almost kaput

And don't get me started on Moose again, Jack doesn't like me to talk about them

Umm the Interlogix product line WAS almost all of that list, most were kaput after Sentrol bought them before Interlogix

Well you could say Linear and Visonic are also independent but I seriously doubt GE will take over everything.

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.