Can you help me construct secure DIY network compatible alarm?

Here's the situation, it should be relatively easy. We've got one room with two doors and a few windows along one wall that we'd like to protect. We're thinking two door sensors and one motion detector, along with one siren. Keypad only needs to be by one door.

There's no closets or anything fancy, just a plain room. We don't have a telephone line, though, just VoIP. NextAlarm looks to be a good choice from what I've seen. However, we've got concerns about getting the right equipment.

We'd prefer wireless sensors since we're leasing and there's no drywall, only stucco walls. However, it seems that the keypad for many completely wireless alarm systems is also the brain, meaning that if the keypad is smashed with a hammer, the alarm is disabled. The more expensive systems seem to have a seperate "brain" with a metal lock box to prevent this.

I left a message and an email for Robert Bass but never heard back. Anybody else care to sell us an alarm system? We've found most sites pretty confusing, and figuring out all the parts we need is tough.

One option that we were considering is putting that keypad/brain somewhere hidden, disabling the sound on it so it doesn't alert the robber to its location, and putting a second keypad on the wall by the door. It starts to get costly at some point, and might even make more sense to get a phone line for a year and buy a cheaper system than one that's network compatible. Any advice?

Thanks, tslugmo

Reply to
tslugmo
Loading thread data ...

I hope somebody can lend a hand before we get robbed...

Reply to
tslugmo

WOW

Reply to
Chub

I also have left emails for Robert Bass over the last week with no response.

I have a similar situation. What have you decided to go with?

Thanks, Luke

Reply to
virtualluke

Hey tslugmo,

I think I have a solution for you. Check out

formatting link
We have a great wireless alarm system. It is perfect for those who rent and lease because there are no new wires required, and it is very simple to setup. It can be done in less than thirty minutes. The system comes with 2 door sensors, a motion detector, and a siren. The kit also includes to remotes to control the console.

The system is unmonitored so there are no monthy fees, and no false alarm charges. The alarm calls you if you like. You can set it up to dial up to four emergency contacts that you want to let know of an emergency. Once one of these people answers, they can decide what to do next- and can even shut off the siren from the phone. They can also monitor the room because the phone pics up the open microphone to hear what is going on.

Hopefully this helps, let me know.

Owen x10securityteam

formatting link

Reply to
odoggy4

Hey tslugmo,

I think I have a solution for you. Check out

formatting link
We have a great wireless alarm system. It is perfect for those who rent and lease because there are no new wires required, and it is very simple to setup. It can be done in less than thirty minutes. The system comes with 2 door sensors, a motion detector, and a siren. The kit also includes to remotes to control the console.

The system is unmonitored so there are no monthy fees, and no false alarm charges. The alarm calls you if you like. You can set it up to dial up to four emergency contacts that you want to let know of an emergency. Once one of these people answers, they can decide what to do next- and can even shut off the siren from the phone. They can also monitor the room because the phone pics up the open microphone to hear what is going on.

Hopefully this helps, let me know.

Owen x10securityteam

formatting link

Reply to
odoggy4

looks like bAss has some competition. :)

Reply to
Chub

Is he selling X-10 Security systems now too?? That figures!! :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

actually I meant competition spamming Usenet and ASA. ;)

Reply to
Chub

Spamming, no. Just trying to help out.

Reply to
X10SecuritySystems.com

Once under this address and 5 times under odoggy, yah, you're helping alright, who asked the question 5 times?

*** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com *** *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
formatting link
Reply to
mikey

Wow, I just registered after my post so my name display name changed. Honest intentions of helping. Can't control how its displayed. 5 times? I don't see it 5 times, must have made an entry error.

Reply to
X10SecuritySystems.com

Why in the name of Ann Coulter's bunghole would anyone want to use that God damn tinkertoy set that you call an alarm? Why not suggest Bell & Howell?

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided tape

sorta like working with x10, isn't it?

*** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com *** *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
formatting link
Reply to
mikey

You and I both know the answer....he has a financial interest in selling his solution ! All I can say is I hope that it works better than the rest of the X10 stuff, none of which I personally consider applicable for professional installations.....

RHC

Reply to
Robert Campbell

OK, you've peaked my interest, inquiring [dirty] minds want to know, what is her bungholes name?

Reply to
Chub

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided tape

Wow. OK, thanks for the suggestion. Man, you guys really jump all over people on this board. I'm the OP, and I appreciate your opinions on the X10, but your arguments are a bit off-topic for me. If you have feedback about what a better system would be (constructive criticism), I'd LOVE to hear it.

I appreciate the X10 suggestion, however since I live 40 minutes away from the alarmed building, I require that the alarm be monitored. I have still not chosen anything. Creating a secure wireless network friendly alarm system seems to be pretty expensive. Once you factor in having to hide the brain and buy another keypad plus the network dialer and wireless stuff, it's almost better to get a cheaper system and pay for POTS.

Problem is our phone provider charges a huge amount for a standard business phone line, which would defeat the purpose of our VoIP service. Any other suggestions out there?

If we were to go with regular phone line, what do you guys suggest?

Thanks, tslugmo

Reply to
tslugmo

Any suggestions?

Reply to
tslugmo

Yea

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.