How Many Years Have You Been in the Industry?

I have a hard time with this. I took a correspondence course in electrical and refrigeration when I was in my mid teens. Did that so I could service the refrigeration systems in my parents grocery store. That doesn't seem to directly relate to the industry, but all those electrical skills certainly came in handy over the years.

When we built a 50 X 60 addition to the store in my late teens I was in the thick of it framing, wiring, drywalling, helping plan lighting and a multiple compressor air conditioning system. It was a steel building with framed inner walls, and wood frame offices and areas inside. Lots of great experience there. Except for some simple alarm stuff and some video cable planning there wasn't much related to the industry, except golly. I can easily visualize the structure of a building when planning an alarm system. Knowing how things are constructed sure makes it easier to do a retrofit alarm.

I spent some time going to college studying computer information system. Gee that doesn't seem to have anything directly related to the industry either. Well, I suppose that my systems analysis and design classes might helped me to follow a logical decision making process that assists in alarm system design. It certainly helped to give me some computer skills that help on the business side of it.

Then I got a job for a small telephone service provider. Worked on digital carrier systems, underground cable, and central office switching equipment (the old mechanical stuff). I had to be able to aim a microwave dish antenna and install phone jacks in a persons home.

I got tired of the small business politics with the phone company and we parted company. I suppose it was mutual except that when I stopped by the main office to settle my final stuff the president of the company came out to talk to me as I was leaving to ask if I would be interested in staying if we could work out the issues. I said no.

Golly, still no major alarm experience.

I went back to college and took a bunch more computer related classes and some more business classes. I enjoyed the heck out of myself and hit my stride for college. Picked up enough credits for a degree in business and a degree in computer information systems. Just never could bring myself to finish the humanities classes to be able to actually get the paper. Art appreciation, music appreciation, and underwater basket weaving just didn't interest me. Psychology was fun and business law was very educational.

A friend called me and said the outfit he was working for could use some help with some underground telephone cable tie down, and I could work around my class schedule. Cool. I did that. Piece of cake stuff. Then they asked me to do an alarm system in a court center. Wild. I got some general info on what was needed and then they left me there to work on my own. "WHAT ?!? I don't know enough about alarms to do this by myself." Took me a couple weeks between classes to get it all wired up. My boss arrived one day when I was sitting on the lawn under a tree.

He asked if I had given up. I replied, "Nope. All finished up with the install. I'm just trying to make head or tails of these manuals to program it. They don't make sense."

Finally some alarm experience. LOL.

At the same time I had two jobs on campus. Working in the computer labs helping lazy idiots learn to learn, and telling self important little people that I would be glad to teach them how to do their assignments, but they would have to do the work themselves. My other job on campus was tutoring economics. That was fun. Those students all seemed to actually want to learn.

I worked for the sound / alarm company off and on for a couple years. Got a little alarm experience, but we worked on so many different systems its hard to really say that was an alarm job. I pulled network cable, installed commercial sound systems, and had to learn to troubleshoot all kinds of esoteric specialty systems. Often not knowing what they were supposed to do or how they were supposed to be hooked up. My first drive through intercom was quite an experience. Fought with the darn thing for a full day, and finally had to order in a new module that controlled the system. I got it replaced, and the next day they managed to spill a milk shake in it. Pzzzzzt!

When they slowed down I started looking for another job.

Boy oh boy. I got a job as a salesman for a California based alarm company that was contracting in Arizona. When we parted company my business card said regional salesmanager. I actually quit them twice. The first time I quit because I could never get any support material. They asked me to stay. The second time was after I discovered they didn't have an Arizona contractor's license. Oh, boy! THAT was some alarm experience.

I actually didn't want anything to do with the alarm industry after that. I started a home based computer service business and I was doing a small traffic in that on the evenings and between times. At the same time I worked days doing shipping and receiving at a tool company and I delivered pizzas during the peak hours for a local startup pizza company. I have to say the pizzas made on an old style stone plate oven are much better than those made on a conveyor. But alas that still didn't have anything to do with the alarm industry.

In December 1993 I did my first ever alarm system. A client I had sold an alarm system for that other company called me. Actually he called me to service one of his computers, and while I was there talking to him he told me that they had totally screwed up a contract I had already had him sign when I worked for them. They cut out equipment he had asked for and did all kinds of weird stuff. Basically they invalidated the contract and asked him to sign a new contract. To be honest I think it was an attempt to cut me out of the commissions they still owed me. I told him I could do it, but he had to understand he was hiring an unlicensed contractor. He said, "I can't deal with this stuff. I want you to do it." I figured one alarm system, and back to my computer service business. I didn't even have a truck then. Just my motorcycle, and the little beater car I used for pizza delivery. I hired a friend with a truck to help with that one job.

Things went back to normal for a while. I shipped and received during the day, delivered pizzas in the evening, and serviced people's computers in between. Then people started calling me. I had to open an office in early

1994 and in June I drove up to Phoenix and spent a week doing an intensive crash study course and take my license exams. I couldn't believe they were so easy. I could have saved the time I spent on the crash course. In fact I finished all my exams before most people there finished their first one. Then I had to go find something to do for the rest of the day before I could come back and get my scores. I was officially in the alarm business. If you count my first alarm system I have been in the business since December 1993. That is when the business started.

So how many years have I been in the business? Just the years as a business owner? A couple years as a sales man? A couple years as an installer for the sound company? A couple years as a service rep for the phone company? An undetermined number of years growing up fixing and building as needed? Does any of my experience teaching idiots to use computers in college count? What about the business I had servicing computers?

Hey Rob Blair, how long have I been in the business now? Screw you. I still won't buy Optex if there is another product that will do the job.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

To my way of thinking, you've been "in the business" since you got your license. If you had started in the alarm trade as an apprentice working for a licensed/legitimate alarm company in 1993, you'd be "in the trade" from your first day there. DIY and unlicensed work doesn't count with any legitimate alarm contractor or licensing agency (although it would put you "ahead" of someone with no experience at all with alarm panels). My older son would have a huge advantage if he ever decided to get into the trade (having worked for me in the summer months). He'd only be a couple of monts short of obtaining his TQ if he took the alarm course at BCIT (the course credits you with one and a half years on a three year apprenticeship). He's presently licensed "under supervision" but has no intention of renewing it because he's decided on a retail career.

I got my start in the alarm business with Chubb. They sent me back east for training on their fire and security alarm products. Back then, the security systems were all OEM (by DSC). They had the Sentinel II (it wasn't even a DSC PC-1000 but it's precursor) and the Sentinel IIIB (glorified PC-2000 with Chubb manufactured keypads) for residential and light commercial. They had their own stuff for the Banks and higher end commercial. When I left there I had just finished installing my third Lynx (card access) system. I've still got all the manuals, price lists, etc. from the mid to late eighties. I've also never left the trade. I've been installing and servicing alarm systems continuously since 1984.

You're one of the most honest and forthright individuals I know, Bob. When I'm in AZ later this year, I'll be sure to look you up (if you don't mind that is). It would be a pleasure to meet you.

Frank Olson

formatting link
"Splash, splash, splash, went the minnow." (Robert J. La Londe III -
formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

I built my first "alarm" when I was in grade school. When I was a kid my older brother bought a Morse code key so he practice for his ham radio license. He lost interest in it and I asked if I could have the key. No problem.

One night I decided to see what I could do using that switch to complete a 110 VAC circuit. I got some bell wire from my Gilbert kit and wired the key in parallel (I didn't know it was called parallel wiring at the time) to the light switch in my room. That switch controlled the overhead lamp and half of an outlet. Next I adjusted the two tension screws so the key would connect if it received a slight vibration and set it down on the bureau next to my door.

My bedroom door used to stick. You had to shove it to make it close all the way. With the door closed and the code key in place, I plugged my alarm clock into the outlet, turned off the light and set the alarm to sound as soon as the outlet went live.

Every night my father would check each of the five kids' bedrooms before he went to bed. When he gently pushed open my door the light came on and the alarm clock went off. I woke up to a really angry father. What happened next would be illegal today. :^)

That was my first alarm system. I was 7 years old. I took a hiatus for a few years, traveled extensively, went to college, studied business law, computer programming and a few other interesting things and some years later wound up installing alarms for a living.

Not counting the years between my first and second installations, I've been in the industry for over 29 years now, built a small alarm central station company, trained technicians, installed hundreds of systems, serviced lots more, sold tens of thousands of DIY systems and taught countless DIYers how to install their own.

Now I'm just selling alarms. I hung up my screwdriver several years ago. I only install for friends and family members -- not for a living any more -- and I don't miss it. At the current rate I'll be ready to retire right around the time Bob C hits

2,500 monitoring accounts (~5-6 years). :^)
Reply to
Robert L Bass

traveled extensively for a few years at 8 years old. Do you even read the BS you post?

Reply to
Chub

"Frank Olson"

Nah, I don't mind at all. My cell phone number is Left paran 928 right paran 580 dash 1270

*** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com *** *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
formatting link
Reply to
Bob La Londe

I think there were a couple of "experiences" that you seem to have left out??

Reply to
coord

Gawd !!....I hope that never happens ! We'll be pushing the 1000 mark any time now if my son continues to grow things as he's doing ! This month in Florida really puts things in perspective for me. My son seems to be doing a splendid job of managing the business as well as doing a couple of full installs a week. I'm actually amazed at how well he's doing; I told him service is the ONLY thing I care about while I'm gone, but he seems to be doing both very well. Next year I plan to trailer my motorcycle down for Jan, Feb and half of March, and I'm beginning to think I'll hand things over to him to fully run by then....

I NEVER want to get to that size...certainly not without increasing staff to handle it. I've seen too many local companies grow too bit too quickly only to start to lose their reputation and a lot of their customers when they forget what it's really all about. But...hey...I'm just a youngster n terms of years in business compared to guys like yourself, Bob Lalonde and Jim (alarman). So I'll just sit back and continue to learn things from others on the newsgroup !

A year is a long time though; who knows what can happen in that length of time. I retired once before 12 years ago; I'm beginning to think its time again.

I wish everyone on the ng well....(having to deal with a dial up account here in Florida is a bummer though......)

Cheers !

RHC

At the current

Reply to
Robert Campbell

On a personal note, Bob, you might not want to always seem so amazed at how well he handles things. It sounds as though he's just what you raised him to be.

Excellent! Next year we'll be in the USA from December through the first half of February. Hopefully you can come down to Sarasota then.

After ten years or so the length of time in the trade really doesn't matter. The issue whether you stay up to date on new industry trends and developing technology. A typical example is VoIP. Most of the people in the trade act as though if they wish hard enough or say enough bad things about it, it will go away. It's here to stay and it's going to significantly affect our industry -- like it or not. My attitude is if it's here to stay and I want to be here too, I'd darned well better learn how to work with it.

I have a different attitude about retirement and a different approach to it as well. We're planning to hire two or three more sales people over the next year. I've raised my advertising budget to $150,000 per year and will increase it further as we hire. When there's enough income from what my staff do without me having to work much I'll consider myself retired. :^)

Same here.

Kind of ironic, isn't it? I'm in the middle of a Third World nation using high speed DSL. Have fun in Florida, Bob. Time for me to go now. There's a small Carnaval party tonight in Campo Grande. We'll be getting together for dancing, music, laughter, dancing and more music, along with a bit of the bubbly with a small group of 35,000 newfound friends. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

He is the king of "me too!" , and a completly full of shit.

Reply to
Karl Magnus

I can relate to that ! VoIP is coming and coming on strong. Even the phone companies recognize that and are introducing their own versions of VoIP. I've been encouraging my son to move into other areas of the low voltage industry such as home automation and video. He takes any and all course he can get in to, so once the company is his, I expect he will take it big, moving out of the "mom and pop" category. For me, it's been just another of a number of businesses I've had; for him, it may be his future.

I've been working with a small company here in Ottawa, giving them advice from the perspective of the alarm industry, as they develop an alternative to a landline for alarm services. They are in final stages of production, and it looks like both a good and very cost efficient solution allowing use of the internet for those who choose to do so. I have no stake in the company other than wanting to assist them, and giving them my 2 cents worth of advice from time to time. They are a nice bunch of folks, and I sincerely hope they are successful. It's been a pleasure working with them....

Their website is

formatting link
if anyone is interested in seeing what they are up to.....

RHC

Reply to
Robert Campbell

True indeed. In another recent thread it was mentioned that some phone companies are switching to VoIP for their long distance services. This has already impacted some alarm dealers and certainly will impact the entire industry over the next few years as the service matures.

For companies that have the smarts this will bring an opportunity to sell additional equipment and services. For the rest it will be a blanket-shaker. When all settles down they'll be dust on the floor.

Many small alarm companies are far from cutting edge. They continue pushing whatever hardware the distributor offers at the lowest price possible without any thought for the future. Relatively few technicians take even trade association courses, let alone bother studying new technology. These are the guys who will be caught with their draws around their ankles. From what I hear you saying, your son is likely to be one of the people shaking the blanket. :^)

Hope he's ten times as successful as his old man.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I forgot. In my teens as soon as I could drive my dad had me out installing satellite dishes. I did that off and on until I was about 18 when I started managing his hardware store. Did I mention I hate retail.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Hi Bob,

I'm looking at this myself... I'd much prefer going RF but can't interest any of you guys to set it up :-( Are there any of the Loblow receivers installed in any of the stations around here?

*** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com *** *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
formatting link
Reply to
mikey

Wireless requires a large investment in the backbone. Cellular seemed like the great answer as prices have gotten reasonable, but now that we know it won't last... Now I'm gonna have to invest thousands of dollars in cellular replacements. Grrrrr......

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I dont know Mike. You might want to give them a call in Kanata; they are a super bunch. Protectron are definately looking at it....

RHC

Reply to
Robert Campbell

Bob, I believe that Uplink has come out with a digital replacement for their analogue ones. Still means replacement costs though....:(((

RHC

Reply to
Robert Campbell

I dropped them a line. Chap called today but I was out and about, he probably called to tell me Protectron are looking at it. Really, I don't know why I bother... just let me know when you have something, will you, Bob?

formatting link
Reply to
mikey

Yeah, I will do that when I find out what they plan to do.

RHC

Reply to
Robert Campbell

Here's something he may want to investigate. In the last few years I've been advertising in my newsletter that I do Home Theater hookups and I've been talking it up with each of my clients when I see them. My offer to them is that I will accompany them to assist in the choice and purchase of their home entertainment electronics. Mostly it's the men who make these choices governed by the wife's esthetic guidelines. I don't know if any of you have looked at the back of some of the latest big screen TV's and amplifier/receivers, but it's really a daunting task for any layman to determine if there are going to be sufficent and appropriate inputs and outputs to accommodate all the different kinds of devices they are going to use. I help them choose matching equipment. Takes maybe an hour or two. Once explaining what's involved in the hookup, programing and cable choices, and the usual requirement to hide the surrround and rear speaker wires ..... they'll more often than not, ask you to do it for them. Depending upon the complication of the job, I've been asking and getting $65.00 to $75.00 per hour. The smallest job so far was $750.00. The biggest was $5000.00, so far and it's all labor and very little comparatively in parts. You can purchase cables at ADI and mark them up to make a profit and still be below what they go for at Rat Shack or wherever.

I suspect that this part of the market will only be as profitable as it is right now for a limited period of time. Maybe for 5 years at the most. As Home Theater and big screen TV's gets more and more popular, the Mfg's will have to make it easier for the end users to do hookups, if they want the masses to buy into the equipment. But home entertainment is going to keep right on growing. Audio and video servers, IP addressable equipment and entertainment from the Internet is just around the corner as a household item. As it gets more complicated people are just not going to be willing to spend the time to set up their systems. I just heard that some producer just made a movie and released it on the Internet ...... only! Hollywood studios are incensed. But ..... here comes the future. Anyone getting into home entertainment today has got to do well in the future.

Reply to
Jim

I think you have hit on a good thing there. I know just setting up my own system was major daunting, and while doing so, I thought that someone with this expertise could make a decent buck simply assisting people with this sometimes arduous chore. Locally, I only know of one company that does this and only because they sell all the equipment needed for home entertainment. And if it leads into selling the hardware, so much the better.

If I wasn't looking to "phase out", this would definately be a market worth looking at.......

RHC

Reply to
Robert Campbell

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.