Learning Resources

I have been reading this group for a little while now and am still confused about what options are best for me. I'm looking to install some kind of security system to protect my family. The house I live in is about 30 years old and is a split, so running wire isn't too bad. I have experience with running network cable but not to doors or windows, of course. Are there some online resources someone can recommend so I can educate myself about the options available? Being a technical guy, I'd like to learn a bit about how the various systems work. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Seeker
Loading thread data ...

This is a great place to start....

formatting link

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

I suggest doing a search on Google for "AT&T 8000", it should suit your needs

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Don't listen to this. The AT&T 8000 is the professional alarm equivalent to a Yugo automobile on cinder blocks.

What I would do: a)- Get 3 bids from small, local, reputable alarm installation companies. If any show "high-pressure, buy-it-now" sales tactics- throw them out and call another. Avoid the large chain companies- you will not get what you pay for. b)- Use the info gleaned from their bids to evaluate whether you can/should/want to install it yourself. c)- Call your insurance agent to inquire about possible discounts for having a monitored system. d)- Install system- Insist on using non-proprietary equipment (non- "company-branded" equipment such as ADT or Brinks.) Whether you do it yourself or have it done for you, be sure it's done right to avoid problems which will lead to it not being used. Be sure everyone in the household has their own separate code and knows how to use the system. Have at least a couple of smoke detectors installed, if monitored. e)- Go on vacation. Be amazed that you're not consumed with worry that something will happen while you're gone. f)- Go on a business trip. Be amazed that you're not consumed with worry that something will happen to your family while you're gone. g)- Go to sleep. Be amazed that you're not consumed with worry that something will happen while you're asleep.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

No, no, no, NO, NO, WRONG! The best security system ever made is the Moose Z-1100. Nuff said. js

Reply to
alarman

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Very good. Too bad the public does not know what "proprietary" means in this industry until they try to get rid of the company that put it in!

Reply to
Holger

Ahh the MyAlarm, that brings up fond tears to my eyes

Unless DSC has expanded they don't have the production capability for ADT

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Some people just don't understand systems far ahead of their time I guess

I prefer the high-pressure buy-it-now tactic, it stresses me out and I buy things like Zebra-colored skinsuits and funny shaped bikes

I go on vacations and business trips all the time and am consumed with worry....or maybe guilt...I'm never quite sure

When I go to sleep I get strange calls from a guy named Tom Fowler, he drones on and on

Reply to
Mark Leuck

PULEEESE.....the Loxxon....you gotta be kidding......

At least get the company name right ! Or is that too difficult for you....:))

RHC

To truly protect your home you will need the new Loxxon security system.

It is distributed by Home Metal Products in Canada.

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Terrific news ! Now I soon will be able to take on even more of their "takeovers" that come my way.....

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Yeah, I guess it is too difficult for you....

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Nya Nya there's still snow here!

6 weeks!? must be nice, I been workin' but I might have enouff for a bike this spring and that bug do bite it'll be a harley tho, I'll let you ride with me anyways
*** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com *** *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
formatting link
Reply to
mikey

Hope you get one Mikey! There is a saying...."when you buy metric you get twice the bike at half the price"

You gotta hand it to Willie G Davidson though, he's convinced a lot of buyers that they don't have a real motorcycle unless they put out to buy a Harley.....part of selling that whole Harley cult mentality....

Go figure...

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Hi Bob,

Sorry I wasn't in the States to greet you when you made it to Florida.

I'm looking at getting a bike to ride in Brazil. They're real popular here since the traffic is often totally jammed for cars. "Filtering" is legal here, allowing riders to slip between lanes of cars at stop lights. The difference is that here bikers are also allowed to zip between lanes while the traffic is moving -- something I haven't the nerve to try. :^)

Bob L gave me some advice on possible bikes to choose from. The problem is man models that are available in the USA aren't sold here. Also, I've no idea what is a fair price. I'll probably get a friend who rides to go shopping with me.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

YOU know someone that drones on and on...? The mind boggles...

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.