Verizon DSL with router

I have a Windows Me PC with Verizon DSL and a Westell 2200 modem. Without a router, the setup works fine. I have been unsuccessful at adding a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router. Some specific questions:

1. Does the Westell setup have to change (e.g., to bridge mode) if a router is added downstream?
  2. Both the modem and router have the same default IP address (192.168.1.1). When the router is added, that address points to the router setup page with no apparent conflict. Does the router IP address have to be changed (e.g., to 192.168.2.1)?

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could summarize the setup process of adding the router. (I know what the hardware connections are.) Thanks for any suggestions.

Gordo

Reply to
Gordo
Loading thread data ...

The Westell 2200 is a modem/router. So you are trying to add a router to a router. To add the wireless router, you need to turn the router function in the Westell off so that it is just a modem. Take a look at these two websites for help.

formatting link
Dick

Reply to
Dick

Yes, the Westell should be changed to bridge mode. You'll also need to configure the router to your area. This means to select PPPoE (mostly former Bell Atlantic areas) or DHCP (mostly former GTE areas). This configuration is done in the router since the router will now be doing the authentication on the VOL network (not the modem).

No, once you've reconfigured the Westell to bridge mode and setup the router, all will be fine. Just set your PC(s) to use DHCP (obtain address automatically) and it will be nearly plug and play from that point.

Since the Windows ME PC is already obtaining an IP address from the Westell, any changes there will be quite minimal. You didn't mention installing WinPoet so I guess you're either former GTE and using DHCP on the WAN side or have the username/password programmed into the PPPoE shim on the Westell.

Good luck!

John

-- John Dearing A+, Network+

Reply to
John P. Dearing

My Verizon connection, with a private ISP, uses a static IP address. Would I need to disable DHCP in the Westell 2200? I'm planning on installing a Linksys router with an 8-port switch [model BEFSR81] next week. I'm set up as Routed Bridge now... when I get the new router, besides just setting it to Bridged, would I need to turn off DHCP or anything else? Also, since the Linksys comes configured as

192.168.1.1, does this cause a conflict with the Westell? If so, how do I get around it? I find a lot of this sort of confusing.

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.