Westell 2200 and Linksys router problem

I have a Verizon connection, with a private ISP that uses a static IP address. So, I don't need PPPoE setups, etc. I want to install a Linksys router with an 8-port switch [model BEFSR81]. However, I'm at a loss as to how to set up the Westell 2200 modem that Verizon supplied. I've tried setting it to just Bridge mode, but that doesn't work since the router doesn't recognize that it's connected to the Internet. It works OK set up in the Routed Bridge mode. But, since all my ports are on the router, I need to use it. Obviously I haven't set up something right.

Do I need to disable DHCP in the Westell 2200? Is there something else that needs tweaking either on the modem or router? There are a lot of options that I'm not comfortable with changing without knowing what I'm doing. As an example, since the Linksys comes configured as

192.168.1.1, wouldn't this cause a conflict with the Westell? If so, do I need to change it? And if so, to what?

I find a lot of this sort of confusing. I'd set up our network with an older frame-relay modem/system from Verizon and everything worked just fine. Obviously the Westell modem is a lot more sophisticated.

Sam

Reply to
Sam
Loading thread data ...

Nope! My ISP only has static IP addresses and PPPoE wasn't even an option. When I talked to them on the phone last week I was given 4 pieces of information: static IP, mask, gateway and DNS servers. We've been with this same ISP for about 3 years with DSL and we've always had a static IP address. We previously had Frame Relay and just now switched to ATM, hence the change in routers.

Sam

Reply to
Sam

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 22:27:18 GMT, Sam wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net:

My ISP sells static IP addresses with and without PPPoE. Have you made an incorrect assumption?

Reply to
Dave Null Sr.

formatting link

Reply to
JoeG

Thanks for the link... however, I'd already read that and it didn't help initially. With some help from another forum I got it running and it works fine now. See:

formatting link
Sam

Reply to
Sam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.