Stupid n00b DSL Verizon Question

Just to warn you its gonna be stupid. I have never messed with

networking so i dont know the basics.

Anyway... Verizon says that you can connect 2 or 3 more computers with

a modem. How exactly? I was looking around... Do i actually need to

buy a hub in order to hook up additional computers? Or can i actually

just use this one modem for 2 computers?

Just so you know my modem is Westell 2200.

Sorry for the stupid n00b question!

Reply to
MysticForest
Loading thread data ...

Presumably it only has one ethernet port on the back, so you can only connect one PC. If you connect that single port to a hub or switch, you can plug multiple PCs into that hub or switch.

No prob.

Reply to
Dan Swartzendruber

The Westell 2100/2200 modems are capable of using 4 computers via an ethernet hub or switch. They have builtin Firewall/NAT/Router. Nice DSL modems.

Reply to
Art Jackson

Actually... you can have up to 253 computers when the Westell 2200 is in the Router mode and not in the Bridge mode.

Dave

| The Westell 2100/2200 modems are capable of using 4 computers via an | ethernet hub or switch. They have builtin Firewall/NAT/Router. Nice DSL | modems.

Reply to
David H. Lipman

I think you'll find it MORE beneficial to use Verizon's News Server - news.verizon.net and take advantage of the; 0.verizon.adsl News Group for questions such as this one.

news://news.verizon.net/0.verizon.adsl

Dave

Reply to
David H. Lipman

the Router mode and

Reply to
John

No. That's the max due to the mask of 255.255.255.0 That leaves 255 nodes. Minus the gateway and the address .255 which is not defined so that leaves 253 nodes on the LAN side of the Router.

Dave

| > Dave | >

| >

| >

| > | The Westell 2100/2200 modems are capable of using 4 computers via an | > | ethernet hub or switch. They have builtin Firewall/NAT/Router. Nice DSL | > | modems. | >

| >

| |

Reply to
David H. Lipman

on the LAN side

Reply to
mimiseh

In article , mimiseh writes

It's a limitation of some (ie most of the cheap) NAT routers, including NAT implementations built into (cheap) DSL modems. There are others (eg Cisco) that will allow larger ranges (eg 10.0.0.0 subnet 255.0.0.0) or multiple ranges.

Reply to
David Mahon

At the point of having more than 253-5 PCs, I'd think a more sophisticated router / firewall would be necessary and desireable for service quality. A 486 running Linux.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Exactly. SOHO NAT Routers are not meant for corporations. They are cheap, limited and their latency is too high. They are meant for smaller orgs.

Dave

Reply to
David H. Lipman

In article , David H. Lipman writes

But to answer the question posed, it can be done and if DSL bandwidth and SLA is enough (possibly with multiple bonded DSL lines) for you, it works out much cheaper than SDSL or leased lines. It's still much cheaper even when you take into account the cost of a decent router (perhaps $500).

I have over 256 real (routeable) IPs handled on a DSL line (although I could easily configure the use of NAT if it were appropriate). I use a dedicated box () that is a firewall and handles multiple DSL lines as well as being a router + DHCP server, in addition to a standard (ie cheap) DSL router (with a few static routes set up).

Reply to
David Mahon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.