Westell 2200 USB drivers for Verizon DSL

A friend asked me to help a friend of hers set up Verizon DSL. By the time I got there, they had the DSL Modem connected. When I started going through the setup procedure, I realized that they didn't have the Westell modem installation CD. They had already discarded the box it came in, and they insisted there wasn't a CD in it, but who knows. Anyway, the bottom line is, they don't have the CD and they need the drivers. Naturally, I went to tech support on the Westell website, but if you go to their particular model of modem, it simply says that all tech support is provided through your ISP, blah, blah, blah, and it didn't have the drivers for download. I tried calling Verizon support on the phone, but I got fed up with the voice recognition Help, which couldn't even recognize the word, "YES". I tried going to the Verizon support web site, but again, it's an endless cycle of irrelevant questions, and I couldn't find anywhere where you could send them a simple request.

Her system barely meets the requirements for Verizon DSL with Win98 and a USB modem connection. The modem is Westell Wirespeed B90-220015-04. Can anyone help me locate the USB drivers for that model. I already tried using the drivers that Westell provides for model 220010, but they weren't recognized.

TIA, Natty

Reply to
Natty Bumppo
Loading thread data ...

Use the Ethernet connection. It is more efficient and won't congest the 12Mb/s bandwidth of the USB v1.x on that Win98 platform.

Dave

Reply to
David H. Lipman

I know that Ethernet is a better option, but she doesn't have an Ethernet port, and she doesn't want to spend money on this old machine. Are you saying that, if I add an Ethernet port, then I wouldn't need any drivers for the modem?

Natty

12Mb/s bandwidth of
Reply to
Natty Bumppo

I'm not sure you need any drivers. (Actually I believe that DSL modems and routers do not have drivers, but rather "firmware" which comes installed; and upgrades are flashed into the modem) My Westell 2200 did not come with a CD and worked right out of the box. Note that the 2200 is a combination Modem/Router (one port) and can be configured in several ways.

I *assume* you can access the configuration settings through the USB port, but if you can't figure out how to do that connect it to an ethernet port (on your computer, if necessary) and from your browser put http://192.168.1.1 in the address window. This should get you into the configuration screen. Play around looking for the appropriate settings. Set it up for DHCP or PPPoE (depending on the type of interface Verizon is using in her area) and, if PPPoE insert the User Name and password in the boxes provided. Then (again if PPPoE) remove WinPoet (or if it is a new installation, do not install WinPoet). The router in the 2200 will handle the PPPoE protocol.

The Ethernet card is a separate issue, but as long as she has a space PCI slot in the computer, I would go for it. I'm sure you can find a 10/100 ethernet car for around $10. I've even seen ads for them for free after rebates.

Reply to
Marilyn and Bob

I just looked further and see that you do need drivers loaded from a CD to do USB on Windows 98. So without the drivers, you are best off installing an Ethernet card (although you probably can find a download of the drivers on the Verizon site. In any case, I thought you might want to look at the Westell 2200 manual. Here the link to the PDF

formatting link
luck

Reply to
Marilyn and Bob

Well stated Bob !

Dave

| > Natty | >

| >> Dave | >>

| >>

| >>

| >>

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Well, it was an exercise in futility, or maybe not. I finally convinced her that she really needed to upgrade the whole system, because a lot of the new stuff she'd find online wouldn't work on her current hardware. So she went out and bought a packaged system with WinXP, ba-da-boom, ba-da-bing, problem solved.

Reply to
Natty Bumppo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.