DSL with Two Computers

I am seriously thinking about getting Verizon DSL so that I can connect to the Internet at faster speeds with an "always on" connection.

I have one computer in my study near a phone jack. My kids have a computer in the living room near another phone jack. What I want to do is put a DSL modem at the phone jack in my study. The question is how can I allow the second computer to connect to that DSL connection. I don't want to go wireless. I was looking at the Linksys HPRO200 ("HomeLink® PhoneLine 10M Cable/DSL Router") but am not sure that it would work--it seems to require two phone jacks when used with DSL--my study just has the one.

Any advice for connecting that second machine to the DSL connection without going wireless and without running Ethernet cable from one computer to the other? Could I use two modems, one in my study for my computer and one in the living room for the kids' computer? (We would both need to be connected at the same time, so I'm not sure that would work....)

Thank you for your help.

Reply to
AJ Asalees
Loading thread data ...

I have that scenario, as I can't run external wiring.

I simply use one modem to connect the DSL to the internet and have a HPNA network consisting of a Net Gear PA301 PCI board in each machine and it shares the same phone line as DSL. The one drawback is that I must have my host machine on in order for my wife's PC to connect through. Very inexpensive...even available on E-bay.

If I wanted to spend the additional ~$200 for the HPRO200, I could achieve the same service but without leaving my PC on all the time. If you Google Netgear or Linksys, I think you can get a breakdown of how each one works.

burris

Reply to
burris

No, that won't work.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

AJ Asalees ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) wrote: : I am seriously thinking about getting Verizon DSL so that I can : connect to the Internet at faster speeds with an "always on" : connection. : : I have one computer in my study near a phone jack. My kids have a : computer in the living room near another phone jack. What I want to : do is put a DSL modem at the phone jack in my study. The question is : how can I allow the second computer to connect to that DSL connection. : I don't want to go wireless. I was looking at the Linksys HPRO200 : ("HomeLink® PhoneLine 10M Cable/DSL Router") but am not sure that it : would work--it seems to require two phone jacks when used with DSL--my : study just has the one. : : Any advice for connecting that second machine to the DSL connection : without going wireless and without running Ethernet cable from one : computer to the other? Could I use two modems, one in my study for my : computer and one in the living room for the kids' computer? (We would : both need to be connected at the same time, so I'm not sure that would : work....) : : Thank you for your help. :

Another option to connecting computers is to use Powerline ethernet bridges such as the Linksys PLEBR10 or Netgear XE102.

These use the home electrical wiring as the network medium. More info available at:

formatting link
HomePlug

--Jerry Leslie Note: snipped-for-privacy@jrlvax.houston.rr.com is invalid for email

Reply to
leslie

What is so bad about going wireless? At least WPA encryption is still considered secure.

Andreas

Reply to
Andreas Wenzel

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.