about wireless router

"Marco Terzuoli" wrote in news:ybvOd.24663$ snipped-for-privacy@twister1.libero.it:

First you need to disable internet connection sharing on all computers, the routher is taking care of sharing the internet connection, not the computers. What is your default gateway set to on each computer? It should be the address of the router. Go to the command prompt on the computers and type "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes), you should have at least one address in the DNS Servers line.

Reply to
Some One
Loading thread data ...

Hi, I have 2 computers (a desktop and a laptop) and a wireless router. The desktop is connected to internet (through USB) and to the router (via ethernet). The laptop has a WiFi connection to the router. The IPs and operating systems are the following: desktop: 192.168.0.1 (Win2000) router: 192.168.0.2 laptop: 192.168.0.3 (WinXP) The netmask is 255.255.255.0. I can ping from one computer to another and from one computer to the router and can share folders between the two computers, but cannot access Internet with the laptop. I have already enabled on the desktop the option that allows the Internet connection to be shared. If I ping some srever (like

formatting link
from the laptop, I get an "unreachable destination host" error message. The router is an Asus WL-500g. Can anyone help me to configure this net? Thank you all very much, Marco

Reply to
Marco Terzuoli

"Marco Terzuoli" wrote

If you stated the connections correctly, that is the problem; things are not connected properly.

The intended (and most common) use of a router is for each computer to be connected to the router and then the ROUTER is connected to your ISP service (assuming you have DSL or Cable service).

Basically, the cable from your Internet modem needs to connect to the router, not to your desktop machine. If your modem does not have an Ethernet port, then you are pretty much screwed. Assuming you have an instruction manual for the router, NOW would be a good time to actually read it! ;-)

If you are trying to do this with a dial-up Internet connection, that is a whole different problem and (most of) the above answer does not apply.

Reply to
Ken Abrams

I think you have to read the OP's message again. From what I gather, he has a USB modem which cannot be connected directly to the router. Frankly, I don't think there is anything he can do with this setup unless the modem is a combined USB/ethernet modem like the Westell 2100 and 2200. In that case, he can follow your instructions, connecting the Modem to the Router via Ethernet cable and Router to Desktop via Ethernet cable and to laptop via wireless. If he does not have a dual cable type modem, the only practical solution is to replace the existing modem with an Ethernet capable one.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

"Marilyn & Bob" wrote

Or maybe you should read my response a little closer? ;-)

You DID do a better job of explaining the modem requirements than I did! Thanks.

Reply to
Ken Abrams

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.