Router and DSL modem relationship

Hello, everyone: I am using a DSL modem (Seamens SpeedStream) and a router (Belkin). The setup works OK from day one, but it just occured to me that I do not fully understand a relationship between the two. Without a router, DSL modem would have an IP address of 192.168.2.1 (for instance) for LAN and something like 70.52.xxx.xxx for WAN (Internet). I would be able to access modem settings by entering

192.168.2.1 into a browser address box. Now, with router attached, I can access router settings by entering the same or similar IP address. Now I have three hosts on my home network, namely: router - 192.168.0.1 for LAN and 70.52.xxx.xxx for WAN (kinda converts one address into another and splits it with DHCP) desktop - 192.168.0.2 laptop - 192.168.0.3 Fair enough. But what happened to DSL modem in this scheme. Does it have any IP address? How does it communicate with a router? Or is it simply done on different OSI layer, such as MAC address? And is there any way to access DSL modem's settings the way I can access router's settings? I would appreciate if someone takes time and clarifies this to me or provides me with appropriate links. Thank you. Viatcheslav
Reply to
vriabov
Loading thread data ...

Check your router (Belkin) wan ip address, it will show you what your DSL (SpeedStream) ip range is and from that you can find out what the DSL ip address is... You said that the wan ip on the Belkin is something like 70.52.xxx.xxx for WAN so you know the ip address that the DSL is giving you...

Reply to
gene martinez

On 19 Jan 2007 20:42:07 -0800, "vriabov" wrote in :

The DSL modem communicates as a network bridge. It still has the same private IP address, but you can only reach that address if you are on the same subnet (which you're not).

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.