Keystone Jack / Serial Phone Coupler

How would the pros punch down two phone lines at one keystone jack? The ph= one lines in my home are run in series / serial. Phone line comes into the= wallbox (some newwork; some oldwork), then goes out from the box.

I am installing a wired network in my home including converting all phone-j= acks to keystone -- using Cat6 for data and Cat3 for phones. I tried punch= ing down a 'double-punch' of both the upstream and downstream wires to the = same slot, but that seems a kluge and some resulted in static when I pick u= p the phone. =20

Given that mine are basic phones that use no more than four wires, a keysto= ne phone coupler jack (four slots for in; four for out) would be a solution= , but found none. Plus, jacks are 110-block, and I assume 66-block clips w= on't solve this. Maybe a junction of some kind upstream from but nearby th= e jack? What would the pros do?

Glenn NJ

Reply to
embraceme2u
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com wrote in part:

Rewire! That's what the pros do.

You have a problem with the punchdowns because you have an even more fundamental problem with the wiring layout: the phone wiring you describe is the standard, common daisy-chain. The NID box wired to the first phone, then one phone to the next. This works for analog POTS.

Data (other than obsolete coax like 10base2 and 10base5) requires star-topology wiring (no up/downstream) -- each outlet having a dedicated wire run to a central "head-end". Also works for POTS but takes 3-5x more wire.

With cleverness, it might be possible to break into the daisy chain and reuse a run or two (max per break). Some places can be very hard to rewire without disturbing wall finishes. For short residential runs, the quality (Cat) of the wire is less important than having the necessary pairs (one pair for POTS, two for 10/100 data).

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Keystone jacks aren't designed to allow that, so that is why you are getting static (and probably no data will work at all in that setup).

A pro would rip out all the daisy-chained wire, and wire homeruns from the demarc out to each station. One run, end to end.

Yes, you sometimes have to creative fishing wire, or know how to redo drywall and repaint. :)

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.