Two line jacks

This is basically a technical question (I think.)

I am getting DSL, and intend to connect the modem to the telephone jack next to my computer. There's a problem: there's a two-line phone connected to that jack, and "Line 1" is a telephone number I want to discontinue, and "Line 2" is the number I am setting up for DSL.

Today, it occurred to me to test that jack with a single-lne phone, since the modem will have a single line connector. When I plugged the single-line phone into the jack, it automatically connected to the "Line 1," on which I want to discontinue servie, instead of line 2, which is being set up for DSL.

Will I have to pay to have that jack rewired, or is it likely that, once "line 1" service is discontinued, the modem jack will automatically connect to the remaining "Line 2" instead of reporting "no connection?"

Thanks, Joe

Reply to
Joseph Carrier
Loading thread data ...

The easiest non-technical thing for you to do is to go to Radio Shack and purchase a "2-line 2-way jack" which is really an adapter which plugs into your single 2-line jack and provides a separate jack for each line. Then just use the jack marked "L2" (for line #2) for your DSL and telephone needs.

If you're comfortable with wiring, you can also remove the existing jack and swap the red/green pair of wires with the yellow/black pair. That will swap your line 1 and line 2 at that jack. What is now "Line 2" at the jack will become "Line 1" and vice versa.

Reply to
Someone

Hi Joseph!

Well, nothing is automatic so you've probably got some work to do!

When you talk about the "modem" I'm guessing you mean the DSL box and not the analog modem you're probably using now. So, once your "Line 1" telephone service is disconnected that "Circuit One position" (aka pins 3 and 4) on the jacks in your home will be "dead" and the second position on the jacks (pins 2 and 5) will be "live" with both your telephone line and the DSL service.

So something will have to get re-wired so when you plug the DSL box into the jack it will connect with the DSL circuit on pins 3 and 4 (Circuit One). If you're moderately handy with a screwdriver this might be done most easily at the "protector" on the side of your home where the cable from the telephone pole connects to your home wiring. In most of these protectors there are screw terminals where your home wires (the "inside wire") connects to the telephone company wires. Inside the protector

It's pretty hard to predict exactly how your protector is wired now - there are two "standard" types of wire that could have been used and then it could be "non-standard" - and that's how most non-telephone people would wire it! But at any rate, if you exchange both wires associated with Line 1 with those associated with Line 2 your jacks should then be OK.

If you're in an apartment (where the wiring could be substantially more complex) or in an older residence (where the wiring is more than about 15 years old) you may have a greater challenge!

Good luck! Post your results or questions - someone can probably help!

Al

Reply to
Al Gillis

You will have to rewire the jack. It is really quit simple.

Reply to
IBNFSHN

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question, but especially to "Someone."

The phone company advised me that it would cost $150 to make the switch. So I decided that I would risk really messing up the jack and make them earn their money.

Taking my guidance from "Someone," I removed the cover from the jack and was astounded to see the maze of wires of all colors. It's a fortunate thing that the jack is really two jacks in one: the two-line one that I want changed and a single-line one (which is for the number I intend to discontinue.)

Anyway, following Someone's suggestion about switching wire pairs together with a careful examination the single-line jack's wire pair, I stumbled onto the solution and have now successfully switched lines

1 and 2. Despite geriatric finger-dexterity and eyesight, I've deprived SBC of $150!

Thanks again.

Reply to
Joseph Carrier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.