DSL Router

I just subscribed to a DSL service. Unfortunately I don't have a telephone line anywhere near my computer and it would be difficult to run a new line.

Can I use a DSL Wireless Router as a stand alone box? That is, does a DSL router need to be connect to a computer or does it just connect to the DSL line & a power source? I would like to hook the DSL router to a telephone jack on the first floor of my home (where there is no computer) and receive the wireless signal at my computer on the second floor (where there is no telephone jack)... thereby eliminating the need to run telephone wire to my second story room. Thanks.

Reply to
Marsh
Loading thread data ...

"Marsh" wrote in news:1125112407.489047.165830 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

You can use a computer with a wire NIC and plug it into the router and use it to configure the router in setting wireless channel, SSID, WEP or WPA and maybe some other settings and then you can unplug the computer from the router. You should not disconnect the wire computer from the router until you get the wireless computer using the wireless router working. After you get things working wireless, you don't need a computer with a wire connection connected to the router. However you may just want to keep a computer with a wire NIC in reserve in case of an emergency. You can configure the router via the wireless computer too, but if the channel on the router changes as an example and the setting on the wireless computer's NIC doesn't match, then the wireless computer cannot access the router to configure it.

tips

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

No problem

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.