Causing a Reorder

Is it possible to cause a "reorder" (fast busy signal) to occur when someone calls my phone number? If so, how would I go about doing this this?

Reply to
Sm704
Loading thread data ...

Don't pay your phone bill... ;-)

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

There was a time when you could call-forward your line to a non-working number with a reorder provided is was on another switch. But I think SS7 has eliminated that. If you can find a non-SS7 switch with a reorder number, it would probably still work. This would send a reorder to all your incoming calls.

If you mean have a reorder without ringing signal when only a certain number or numbers call, you'd probably need trunk-side access with Caller-ID or ANI, and route the desired calls to a recording of a reorder signal. There would still be supervision, though.

A cheap way would be to put a reorder on an answering machine set to answer on the first ring and let it field your calls. Sure, the caller would hear the line ring before the reorder, but I can remember when some switches did that anyway! There would be supervision here too.

Reply to
Someone

No, that just gets you SIT and a message saying it was disconnected.

Reply to
Tony P.

Depends. Many telco's use a reorder rather than a SIT.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

And louses up your credit rating.

Take care, Rich

God bless the USA

Reply to
Rich Piehl
<snip>

I'm taking it that you cannot cause a reorder by just putting an electronic component, such as a resistor, across a line pair? That's what I was hoping I could do...

Reply to
Sm704

You can cause a standard busy signal by using a 0 Ohm resistor. Typically those are made with a short piece of 26ga copper wire.

But a reorder is a "treatment", and is the accepted default when no other appropriate treatment is provided. It has most commonly been used as the standard treatment for an All Trunks Busy (ATB) condition. Otherwise the most commonly seen use of a reorder is for vacant (unassigned) lines. (Hence, if you don't pay your bill...)

As someone else noted, you might be able to use call forwarding to send incoming calls to a line that will receive a reorder treatment, but that too might not work at all and it also might work only after an audible ringback is sent to the calling party, though that probably won't make any difference.

There is no guaranteed way to do it without having your own PBX.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Technically, you don't need a PBX. Just a DID trunk :-).

I have one of those in a 2-port flavor that fits in an ISA slot of a computer, but nowadays, I would imagine that you can get a whole PCI treatment on an Asterisk PBX for less than $200.00

Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro

Reply to
oberender

You'll be on a fast track to the hoosegow too, so you won't be paying a phone bill for a few years.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

Real reorder could be obtained using an ISDN line with equipment able to reject a call based on originating number or other parameters.

Little known trick is an ISDN BRI line with a Motorola BitSURFR Pro (extinct by 1998 but available on eBay), flashed to the most recent software revision. It allows rejection of calls from numbers in a reject list/or rejection of calls from numbers that are not in a list. You can also reject "out of area" and/or "blocked" callers, independently.

The caller gets rejected by the BitSURFR as soon as it gets wind of it coming down the D-Channel. The phone never rings, the caller gets fast busy, and there is no supervision.

I suppose a caller with access to network signaling data could determine that the call was actually rejected by the destination equipment, but to anyone else, it's reorder.

E
Reply to
E Pluribus Unum

| Little known trick is an ISDN BRI line with a Motorola BitSURFR Pro | (extinct by 1998 but available on eBay), flashed to the most recent | software revision. It allows rejection of calls from numbers in a reject | list/or rejection of calls from numbers that are not in a list. You can | also reject "out of area" and/or "blocked" callers, independently.

Do you have a pointer to documentation on this? I'm currently using a "block the blocker" box on the POTS port of my BitSURFR Pro and this requires me to run the (I think) third from last BSP firmware for the following interesting reason:

The two newest BSP firmware versions support caller ID with name if your telco provides it (mine does not). Regardless of whether the BSP gets any name information it uses the extended message format on the POTS port. If there is no name information and the number is blocked/private the BSP sets the name information in the extended message to "unavailable" rather than leaving it out or setting it to private. This causes the blocker box to allow the call through. If I can block "blocked" callers in the BSP I can eliminate another little box and wall wart and even run the latest firmware on the BSP.

Do you have any information on the BSP (non-EX) hardware platforms? In collecting spares I found that there are at last two with different firmware (the original and the II) and different ring generators.

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

would hear the line ring

That just gives a regular busy signal. You can just short the wires and it will do the same.

You could do as the bums did about ten years ago here in Orange County. They lit a fire under the bridge, and burned up the trunk lines going from Anaheim where the main LD center is, to Santa Ana, where our prefixes are. Every number north of that bridge that we dialed got a fast busy signal. That was very perplexing since all of our numbers were out of the same prefix in S.A. Anyway, the Pac Bell crews spent weeks there patching up the damage.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.