Phone to VOIP

Hi all

I am an awful story teller so I'll get right to the point. If someone calls on a specific number, and is for a specific problem, the Secretary, after answering can divert the call to someone else, but the tricky part is to use a "Voice over IP" for inside company, but Incoming call will be from a regular Phone. I was thinking on using Skype for inside (with USB Phones), combined maybe with some kind of "Phone Answering Software", but don't now how that can be connected to something like a Skype, or even if this is possible. What can I use ? Besides "SkaypeIn" if possible.

To make it shorter, how can a VOIP application can be "combined" with regular phone line.

Thanks

Reply to
Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol
Loading thread data ...

Asterisk is all you need. Check this out:

formatting link

Reply to
Glitch

Skype appears to use proprietary VoIP protocol. How do you terminate this call in Asterisk then?

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

How do you suggest configuring Asterisk to handle Skype calls?

formatting link
(Note that I'm not suggesting it makes any sense at all for someone smart enough to use Asterisk to try to weld Skype onto it. I just think it's misleading to claim Asterisk already handles it.)

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

You¡¦re absolutely right; you will not do it if Skype is your application of choice. But again, your question was: ¡V in your words ¡V ¡§how can VoIP application be "combined" with a regular phone line¡¨. Asterisk is definitely an answer to your question. There are many free VoIP applications on the market to choose from (btw, I don¡¦t think Skype is the best one; also you can not use any hardware IP phones with it).

Reply to
Glitch

formatting link

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

Thanks guys, you really got me thinking more deeply on the situation.

And to clarify the situation, I mentioned Skype first like my starting point, not a must. I heard about this "Asterisk", and I'm starting learning about him right now. Maybe it can fix my problem. The fact is that I was interested an using also a Palm on the Internal network, and 2 of my teem mates are in other country, with make me thing integrating with Skype could be a start. Lets se what "Asterisk" can do for me.

Thanks all for help.

Reply to
Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol

You're right. I was confused. The (bottom-quoted...) message to which he replied made that clear. Unfortunately I didn't go that far and instead confused it with this thread.

formatting link
Thanks for catching it and correcting me.

And yes, Asterisk is the answer.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

Stop thinking that!

Be sure to ask here if you run into anything that makes you think Asterisk can *not* handle what Skype can.

formatting link
As long as we're into peer-to-peer things...also note that Asterisk now supports DUNDI
formatting link
addition to ENUM.
formatting link
is unnecessary for handling two teammates but it could come in handy with larger groups.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

Kyler:

Are you aware of any good docs on using Asterisk in a home environment?

Thanks!

formatting link

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

I've heard good things about one of the books...but I don't recall which one so I'm not much help. I'm inclined to stumble around for awhile using 'net resources. I will provide what help I can.

There's a list of Asterisk books here.

formatting link

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

Hello, the device you seek is already on the market. Our Nevada group designs and distributes this product.

formatting link

Reply to
Marc H.Popek

We use asterisk every day between home and office. Someone calls one of two POTS lines at the office, if it's for me and I'm at home, the call is transferred to me by the person who answered. A call to our main number rings phones both at the office and home. Calls to my direct line ring my desk phone at the office and my SIP phone at home. At each end, one person answers if the other doesn't. CallerID on both ends. Different messages on each line go to voicemail which is emailed to me as well as available on any phone, including a SIP phone from anywhere in the world.

Here are a few good starting points for asterisk:

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
BlueRinse

more

formatting link

formatting link
e=STRK:MESE:IT

Reply to
Marc H.Popek

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.