Norstar Modular ICS - Several Questions

Hello! I am a fresh faced newb when it comes to the PBX system. I have been able to wade through most of the issues here at my new job, but I can't crack the remaining problems.

PBX: Norstar Modular ICS M12X0 Phones: Mostly T7316

#1: How do you change the line that is used as a phone's "prime line", meaning the line that is selected when the reciever is lifted. There are several phones that say "Unknown Number" when the reciever is lifted, and the user has to manually select a line to call.

#2: Could someone point me in the direction of a line pool tutorial? There has GOT to be something wrong here.... three people's phones ring for incoming calls, and we really don't want ANY phone to ring, as we have an Auto Attendant. The primary phone does not ring on incoming, but newly added extensions do

#3: In the genre of line pools, when people make outgoing calls from their extensions, they have all 10 of my company's lines, assigned to buttons, to choose from. They choose an outside line and dial. If someone happens to choose the line that has the phone number that we print on our business cards, then that line will be busy to all incoming callers. This is not optimal. I would like, instead, to see everyone have to dial 9 to get an outside line, and the system will give them a free line. Also, when that main phone number is called in on, is there not a way to divert the call to another line immediately so another incoming call can get through?

#4: Is there some OTHER manual to refer to, aside from this "Nortel Norstar Compact ICS 4.0 System Coordinator Guide"? The procedures in this book have helped learn, but I have the feeling that there are more advanced capabilites on the admin side that this manual just isn't telling me.

I must sound like an ass, but you've got to start learning somewhere! Thanks in advance.

Reply to
cbaker
Loading thread data ...

I don't want to sound rude but......Hire an Inter connect! You are asking us to train you how to do the job we have trained to do as a career. If you want to learn yourself then RTM all the info you need is in the Installers Manual.

BTW.... there is noth> Hello! I am a fresh faced newb when it comes to the PBX system. I

Reply to
sparky

Wow. Be more smug. This is my career here as well, partner. Unfortunately, most employers don't understand that their network admin doesn't know everything about everything just because it seems "computery". If you don't want to help, fine, don't help, but don't waste my time and yours with smug insider secret bullshit. This is a help forum, I asked for help. No, I will not hire someone to do this, because yes, there IS in fact something to "crack". As soon as I figure it out, I will always know how to do it. If that threatens you, I'm sorry that you are so small.

"You either know how to do it or don't" I have never heard such an ignorant, childish, and horribly wrong statement come out of the mouth of a so-called professional. You were BORN knowing how to do this stuff? No. You learned, as I am now. No one, anywhere, knows everything, we are all always learning something new. So while I learn how to fix these problems, despite your "help", you should learn a little humility, respect, and restraint. That way, we can both grow in our careers.

RE: > I don't want to sound rude but......Hire an Inter connect!

Reply to
cbaker

Wow. Be more smug. This is my career here as well, partner. Unfortunately, most employers don't understand that their network admin doesn't know everything about everything just because it seems "computery". If you don't want to help, fine, don't help, but don't waste my time and yours with smug insider secret bullshit. This is a help forum, I asked for help. No, I will not hire someone to do this, because yes, there IS in fact something to "crack". As soon as I figure it out, I will always know how to do it. If that threatens you, I'm sorry that you are so small.

"You either know how to do it or don't" I have never heard such an ignorant, childish, and horribly wrong statement come out of the mouth of a so-called professional. You were BORN knowing how to do this stuff? No. You learned, as I am now. No one, anywhere, knows everything, we are all always learning something new. So while I learn how to fix these problems, despite your "help", you should learn a little humility, respect, and restraint. That way, we can both grow in our careers.

RE: > I don't want to sound rude but......Hire an Inter connect!

Reply to
cbaker

For starters, what software release do you have. This will determine what and how features are setup on the switch.

Reply to
A-2 Xprt

I appologize for not including that initially. The literature I DO have suggests that the version is 4.0. I ascertain this by the title of the sole book that I have: "Compact ICS 4.0 System Coordinator Guide". If there is another version number to identify, I have not seen it, nor am I aware of how to view it.

Sorry, by the way, for the above outburst. I did not come here to engage in flame wars. Thanks!

A-2 Xprt wrote:

Reply to
cbaker

formatting link
You can try this link.

Reply to
John 807

well well well..... I did say I wasn't meaning to be rude.... but if you insist! You are in "IT" right? Then you know how a forum works..then you should know the golden rule, search first, then read read and read some more and then when you have tried it ten times and still don't get it then ask an educated question.

formatting link
search is all it took and i didn't use any secret words. It has taken me 15 years to learn what I know and that is how I did it along with almost every tech in the field I know. Don't mistake me a forum is for questions but do your own howmework first.

John 807 wrote:

Reply to
sparky

replying to sparky, Nemesis wrote: The internet doesn't forget...

6 years later - and the world can still see what kind of an ass Sparky is!
Reply to
Nemesis

replying to sparky, Nemesis wrote: The internet doesn't forget...

6 years later - and the world can still see what kind of an ass Sparky is!
Reply to
Nemesis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.