Paradox download

What modem is necessary to download the Paradox Spectra system? Secondly, can this panel be direct connected to a laptop, if so, what adaptor is needed?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Bob Worthy
Loading thread data ...

Bob, I use an external US Robotics 56K modem for the Spectra panel. I have found this works more consistently than the Cardinal 2400 external that I use primarily for the older Esprit panels. However, I believe there is a long list of modems that are suitable, and if memory serves me correctly, the drivers are built into the software.

For connecting to a laptop, I run the same modem through a dial tone simulator, so I can't tell you about the availability of any direct connection device (like the PC Link cable for DSC).

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Thanks Bob, I appreciate the speedy reply. This equipment is no problem for us to obtain and we have the software here already, just haven't attempted downloading.

Thank again!

Reply to
Bob Worthy

A couple of minor cautions Bob ! Once connected, have patience; it seems to take a while to do it's handshaking and exchanging of passwords etc. It's easy to think things are frozen.

Also be very careful about which direction you are sending and receiving data (see the arrows at the bottom of the screen). It's pretty easy to send up empty data to the panel if you don't watch your "direction" of data flow (don't ask me how I know...:))

Other than that, the panels seem to upload very well although I did have trouble initially with the computer crashing until I made sure I had the latest version of the software (2.6 I think, available off the website)

Cheers !

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

I use either Hayes Smartmodem Optima 2400 or Securcomm DL110 or Practical Peripheral mini SA1200. They all work about as well but you'll be able to find the Optima 2400 easily from Ebay

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I haven't ever thought it was frozen but it does like lots of handshakes

Thats why they need to redesign the entire package, that part of it is pretty dumb

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Mark, while we're talking downloading software, my DLS2002 software has started to exhibit a problem. When I connect to DSC panels, I get the "session cancelled cannot identify panel" almost always now.

Am I missing some drivers here or what ?

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

I'd re-install the software. After that, if still no go, try turning off the FIFO buffers in the port settings.

Reply to
mikey

I tried re-installing the software but no help. What are "FIFO" buffers may I ask ?

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Nope no new drivers, I haven't seen much of that problem

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Go to your hardware manager in control panel and select comm ports, you'll find it there under serial ports

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Click the advanced box under Port Settings in Device Manager (Comm Ports) in Systems section of Control Panel (W2K)

First In, First Out I think. I've seen disabling them somewhere in somebody's DL software

Reply to
mikey

if I am not crazy..(never did it on a spectra)

you can use a 360usb module like the one used for digiplex connected into the serial connector on board of the spectra..(4 pin white connector)

like the one at this address,just scroll down to 360 USB

formatting link

"Bob Worthy" a écrit dans le message de news:

1Vucf.6750$% snipped-for-privacy@bignews6.bellsouth.net...
Reply to
petem

Yeah, I tried that Mike, thanks! I also set the comm port to 300 baud. No luck with either option.

I'm going to call DSC tech support on Monday to see what they suggest

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.