Configuration of serial connection with quickloader

I cannot figure this issue out...hopefully; someone can clarify this for me.

I've got a PCI mini (serial) and attempting to configure my serial configuration so I can connect to my panel...BUT it won't work?

I've got a gem p9600 and using quickloader 5.4.2. The chip on my system is V9. My modem on the PC is on com 2. Com 1 is where the pci/mini port should be connected to (i'm assuming as it is the only port open).

When I hit port test, nothing! I've tried this on two different computers thinking that maybe it was a computer issue...but still no go.

The modem type I'm leaving set at is "standard" as none that I actually have is listed. I'm assuming this is ok.

Modem location is set to "internal",

Without these settings, I cannot connect to my panel...any ideas of what I'm possibly missing??

Is there some sort of incompatibility? Should I be using a USB connection type instead??

Thanks!

Reply to
Steve
Loading thread data ...

I thought there wasa setting under modem for direct or PCI or soemthing like that.

Been a while since I set one up for, but...

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Also, check your system and your bios to make sure the port is activated. It may be turned off.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

uration so I can connect to my panel...BUT it won't work?

m is V9. =A0My modem on the PC is on com 2. =A0Com 1 is where the pci/mini = port should be connected to (i'm assuming as it is the only port open).

ers thinking that maybe it was a computer issue...but still no go.

ave is listed. =A0I'm assuming this is ok.

I'm possibly missing??

ion type instead?? =A0

What kind of modem?

Reply to
Jim

The modem is an internal softV92 data/fax on the XP machine, and the laptop is a Toshiba V90 internal modem (running windows 98).

Are there extra strings that need intialized with this software?

Thanks!

Reply to
Steve

op is a Toshiba V90 internal modem (running windows 98).

You need a modem that'll get down to 300 baud.

In the trade we all have special modems to do our downloading. Modern modems usually cannot be adjusted to the slow speed and other requirements of the panels. This is due to the fact that the panels only "simulate" a modem, they don't actually contain one.

Reply to
Jim

Hmm. Are you planning to use the modem to connect to the panel over the telephone line or will you be using the PCI-MINI for direct connection. The latter is faster and (usually) easier.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

connecting directly to the panel is the method that I am attempting. I've got a few different modems and a few computers. I'm surprized you can't slow down the modem's baud rate and force it? This shouldn't be this difficult to just get connected...lol

Reply to
Steve

You don't use a modem when using the PCI-Mini

got a few different modems and a few computers. I'm surprized you can't slow down the modem's baud rate and force it? This shouldn't be this difficult to just get connected...lol

Reply to
Bob La Londe

OK, in that case, scratch information about the modem. It's correct but you don't need it. In the Napco Quickloadr configuration set the modem port to "none." Set the PCI2000/Mini port to whatever port you're going to use for it.

Note: Napco's standard PCI-MINI will not function with many USB to serial port converters. If your PC or laptop only has USB, you should order the PCI-MINI-USB.

BTW, once you've got the modem settings right, create a user name and password in the dealer settings area. Log out and then log back in as a user -- not as "master." This is important because in the event you exit the app or the PC reboots or locks up while you're working as the master user, you will not be able to open the program as master again. If you create a file (account) as master and accidentally exit incorrectly, such as by clicking the "X", your data can be lost to you.

There's a way around this of course. If you do screw up you can reinstall the app and access the files but it doesn't always work. Better to be safe, right?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Thanks to all. Robert mentioned to me that I needed to initially create the account in the software. I didn't realize you needed to create an account then upload the panel to it. I thought that you connected to the panel and uploaded the account from that point.

I wish that I had this software BEFORE I tried to adjust the time via the keypad and mess up the whole alarm systems settings.

I noticed that the zone names and some of the data is still active. It almost seems like the keypads were removed off the system. Hopefully, I can go in and see some history of what I actually did and undo what I've done...

Reply to
Steve

You'll be able to view all of the settings via the software. You can then run an error check to see if something is whacky. Once you get the panel and the PC to talk to each other call me I'll walk you through reprogramming the system. It doesn't take long.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

he software. =A0

keypad and mess up the whole alarm systems settings.

almost seems like the keypads were removed off the system. =A0Hopefully, I= can go in and see some history of what I actually did and undo what I've d= one...

Sorry but I just can't resist.

I simply have to say it......

"Rocket science"

Reply to
Jim

Hehhehheh... :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yup. Nuttin to it. js

Reply to
alarman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.