download speeds

The 1MB (downstream) connection speed is in bits, whereas actual download speed of (downloading files, for example) is shown in bytes. Thus, your download should be about 1/8th your connection speed. A good estimate used is 1/10th, as it's easier to move a decimal than it is to divide by eight. Another thing you need to be aware of is that download speed is affected by many variables such as local traffic (your bandwidth is shared with all your neighbors), server speed (some FTP and web servers are slow) and your connection to whatever server you are downloading from (is it in the next county or the next continent?).

Both you and your friend are downloading files about as fast as possible, for your downstream connection speed. Theoretically, your friend should be downloading about 100K, and you should be downloading about 30K. You're actually doing better than that, which is not unusual. (Download speeds vary, and can actually be faster than theoretically possible)

Yes, 2 cable modems is possible. Yes, you will get twice the bandwidth. But it won't help you. Each cable modem would be serving a different computer. In other words, if you are currently sharing one cable modem (through a router, for example) with multiple PCs, then you might be able to speed up your Internet connection for a SECOND PC by hooking up another cable modem. For the same PC, you will notice no increase in download or upload speed, as the packets will be served by one cable modem or the other, not both. -Dave

Reply to
Dave C.
Loading thread data ...

Hi all, 4give my ignorance here, but if my friend, who is on 1Mb band modem, can download a file at say 100K then howcome I, on a mere 300K Modem, cant get the same file at anywhere near that speed, probably 40K tops. I would have thought if its available at that speed for him, then i should get it also ? Digressing slightly, if I connect 2 cable modems to the same line, and to my computer, if thats possible, will I get twice the bandwidth ? TIA Kenny

Reply to
Kenny

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.