napco quickloader port in use

I was trying to get quickloader to use my laptops internal agere modem but I always get port in use error. I can query the modem in windows settings b ut ql will not even attempt to use it without that error. Is this because n apco needs a modem that can go 300 baud? I wanted to try using the internal phone modem plugged back into a magic jack hooked to the same laptop to do downloads on a 1000e (because of no local download port) panel in the fiel d with just a wireless connection. I have tried many different settings wit h no joy.

Reply to
barnitos
Loading thread data ...

I have 100% failure with any attempt to use any modem that is not in the modem list file. I have not tried every modem in the modem list file, but I have tried several of them and have had 100% success. Is the brain damaged WinModem in your laptop listed in the modem list file?

(Partial bus and onboard modems are WinModems and use system resources to complete their functionality as opposed to external modems and some older style full bus modems which are fully functional modems in and of themselves with using system resources except to communicate with the system via the bus.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

The internal modem just won't work.

You can use the Ademco Compass CIA modem just fine with Napco. I think I just selected the Cardinal modem string...or it might be the Hayes 2400. I don't recall.

Jim Rojas Technical Manuals Online!

formatting link

8002 Cornwall Lane Tampa, FL 33615-4604 813-884-6335 813-440-6653 Fax Email: snipped-for-privacy@tech-man.com AOL: rojas813 MSN: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Yahoo: jimrojas ICQ: 20116219 GoogleTalk: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
Reply to
Jim Rojas

t I always get port in use error. I can query the modem in windows settings but ql will not even attempt to use it without that error. Is this because napco needs a modem that can go 300 baud? I wanted to try using the intern al phone modem plugged back into a magic jack hooked to the same laptop to do downloads on a 1000e (because of no local download port) panel in the fi eld with just a wireless connection. I have tried many different settings w ith no joy.

A magic jack is probably not going to work with any kind of downloading att empt.

Just settle for the fact that you need a modem that was designed to downloa d a Napco panel. Otherwise you're in for an "at random" hunt for the holy g rail. Through the years (many, many years) alarm installers have been looki ng for a cheap way to download alarm panels. If you really have to do this just to locally download a 1000e panel then go out and buy yourself the pro per modem and save yourself a lot of wasted time and trouble. Otherwise, ta ke 15 minutes and program the panel via the keypad. It's just about one of the easiest panels to program.

Reply to
Jim

Magicjack will not work.

You can use a Viking DL200 or DL300 telephone line simulator. It is small, and will fit in your laptop bag.

These are the modems I recommend if you are doing field work:

1. Ademco Compass CIA (0 at ADI)
  2. Practical Pherpherals PM1200SA Mini (HARD To FIND)
  3. Hayes Smartmodem 1200 (07-000038) (Ebay)

These 3 modems will handle just about anything you will run across.

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I disagree. The P800/P801 is far far easier to program at the keypad.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I've never installed a P800 or 801. I don't use anything less than a P816. Only because I can download it locally.

Reply to
Jim

I have considered that, but I can program a P801 with the book in may hand faster than I can go get my laptop out of the truck.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.