OT: Somebody Called the Sheriff On Me

If you don't want to read a rant. Stop right now and hit your kill key on this thread. This is a rant. Its also not alarm related.

I was a licensed contractor for 23 years. Never had a complaint on my license (a real complaint) and only had two BBB complaints. Both of the later just didn't want to honor the terms they agreed to and their letters just read like they didn't want to pay their bill. After the second time and the BBB listed me with a B while listing companies I knew first hand engaged in fraudulent practices with an A I told them they were prohibited from listing my company at all.

Well recently I had a customer pay for a custom job. I told them up front that there was about 16 weeks custom work already paid on my jobs board, and that all jobs were done in the order they are paid. PERIOD NO EXCEPTION and I understand if they want to look for somebody else.

That is pretty much the standard in the market niche I work in now. Some new guys do work on spec or take partial deposits, but they quickly learn like I did that you get stuck with items on your shelf you can't sell and can't get paid for. Lots of guys don't tell customers how long its going to take, and they don't respond to demanding emails at all. I tell them upfront and I try to always respond to their requests for updates. I actually had a customer tell me early on, "No Bob. I will pay you up front just like I would have to with anybody else decent in the business." I've been that way ever since. I have about 14-16 weeks work on the custom jobs board right now so obviously its a workable model.

The customer from paragraph two started giving me crap and being demanding after about 8 weeks. I told him that we were not close to the terms he agreed to and pointed out it was sent in email and it was on his invoice. Well he went off the deep end telling me he had already contacted his bank and they had refunded his money, and threatening to "write lots of reviews." He didn't have the nerve to actually say bad reviews or slanderous reviews, but I thanked him for the warning and asked him if he would so kind as to send me links to those reviews so I could share them with all my happy customers. He went off the deep end again and threatened to sue me among other things. I'm not sure exactly what he would sue me for, but I let him know his reply wasn't really coherent and I was blocking his emails. I also told him that if he tried to circumvent that I would consider a harassment (harassment is criminal) complaint against him. Within a minute or two my phone was ringing. I was in the machine room setting up a job, but when I went back in the office I looked up the CALL ID and it was this guy. I'm glad I didn't answer. He didn't leave a message.

I was a bit annoyed and decided to call it a day before I broke something or worse hurt myself and everybody's jobs got delayed. I was sitting in my living room in my recliner sipping on a cup of fresh brewed coffee and watch Ian of Forgotten Weapons on YouTube tell all about how Samuel Colt was an interesting and very driven individual when a local Sheriff's Deputy rang my door bell.

Apparently the guy had called his local Sheriff's department in Florida and said I was trying to rip him off. Now lets stop a minute. If he misrepresented things to his bank/credit card provider and took my money back he has no financial claim, and I no longer had any obligation to him. If he did not tell that to the Sheriff's department he misrepresented things at best. To my knowledge there is no jurisdiction in the USA where filing a false police report or making false statements to law enforcement in the performance of their duties is not a crime.

They called my local Sheriff's Department and who sent a deputy to see me. I explained everything, showed him all the pertinent supporting documentation, and emailed him copies. He said the police report on his end was going to be really short. I'll be getting a copy, and also the incident report number from the Florida Sheriff's office so I can get a copy of their police report as well.

In the mean time I sent our friend in Florida one last email letting him know that as long as he did not succeed in stealing from me I would unblock him long enough to get proof approval on his job when I got to his job on the board in about 8 weeks. I also let him know the local sheriff's department had visited with me, and I would be getting a copy of both their and his sheriff's departments police reports. "While I am not sure you filed a false police report, under Arizona law even as the victim I am REQUIRED by Arizona statute to report a crime if I believe one has been committed."

What I should do for my own peace of mind is refund the guy and block him forever, but I don't believe in rewarding bad behaviour. Besides I consider that a binding agreement to do a job goes both ways. I am just as obligated to complete his job as he is not to back out of it after I have put the money to work making sure there is material to do it and spent time figuring out the best way to get it done.

I never had a customer call the sheriff on me because I insisted on sticking to the terms of an agreement and refused to be intimidated until last Friday. I'm still a little stunned. Relieved too actually. Law enforcement, atleast on my end, had no problem seeing the situation for what it was.

As a contractor I had a couple customers I fired, but I never fired them before completing the job I agreed to do, and I always covered the warranty until the 366th day. I think I will fire this guy ten seconds after I ship his part.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
ABLE1

Whoopsie!!! I hit the Send Key to fast!!

Well hello Bob!! Hope your day is going better!! I totally get the frustration. This guy had nothing better to do for his day than to waste Your, Deputy(X2), Sheriffs(X2) time. Very sad!!

Needless to say he needs something done to cost him some serious money that he will not have a idea or clue how it happened!!!

First we have to find a quite friend in Florida.......and then.........

The plot thickens............................ :-)

Have a better week!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

There are very few things that will make me want to enact some sort of revenge plot, justified or otherwise. This is not one of them, and most that I would like to I still would not.

Even those things I can legally do I will not if my plan going forward is not inconvienced by further chicanery. I will start his part at or about the time I said I would. I will give him the opportunity to provide feedback, and I will ship it when I am done. If the OP has done nothing further to try and harm me that will be the end of it. I won't work for him again, but given his actions I doubt he would ask either.

Unrelated: I did go on the road when I was 19 hoping to catch up with a guy who ripped off my family. I have no clue in retrospect as to what I would or could have done if the FBI (one I) had not caught him first.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Reply to
ABLE1

Bob, my suggestion of a "get even plan" was just a mental Ha Ha moment!!

I understand the consumption of time that would be spent to get nowhere.

BTW Just for clarity. This guy said that his bank returned his money. So is that true or was he just blowing smoke??

If you still have his money then yes, do the job and turn him off in your mind, block any emails, etc.

About 11 years I had a customer ask me to provide a proposal for a cameras system to watch a dumpster that was costing them an additional $3000+ a month in extra trash removal. I took a considerable amount of time working out the details and writing up the proposal that came to about $7,500 installed. After about 2 weeks I got a phone call from some guy from the corporate office in California. He started to pick apart my proposal and saying it was too much money. I told him that he should go somewhere else for the system. Shortly there after they cancelled there monitoring. Poof gone!! Me Happy!!

Then about a month ago I got a call from their Maintenance Guy. After a bit of hello how are you doing stuff, he ask me about doing the camera job. I won't type everything but it ended with "Here is the deal". "You guys write me a check for $4000.00 and when I get it cashed and the money is in my bank, I will then start to "think" about the system and write up a contract for the final amount it will cost. Failing that, have a good week................ bye!!"

The puzzlement on my part is, if the dumpster is costing an additional $3000/month wouldn't the original system have paid for itself already? Maybe a little over 10 years ago!!

Oh, this is an apartment complex with a common trash dumpster, but used by EVERYBODY in the area!!

Boggles the mind about some people!!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

He told his sheriff's department he was "thinking about it." Which is not the same as he told me prior to that. If it hasn't hit as a charge back in 8 weeks when I get to his job I'll do the job.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Well, you guys are a lot nicer than me. Talk about a thick plot - - - - - I'd have some of my Puerto Rican friends up here in New York on the phone to some of their buddies down in Florida. This guy would be suffering from thickplotitus for a long time. Finding your car up on blocks without tires is really upsetting. And not finding your car at all, can really get your blood pressure up. AND THEN , when the time came to finish his job, I'd probably do something like machine it half way, package it up and send it out to him with a refund of half of his money. Sent with a note saying that I had to spend a lot of time handling his complaint with the sheriff and didn't have enough time to finish his job. Other customers were waiting. But maybe he could just jump in his car and find someone local. You DO have a car, DON'T YOU? Just to make the point clear. I-don-know, maybe it's a personality flaw, or maybe just a New York thing but it works out that . . . I'm a nice guy - - - I'm a nice guy - - - I'm a nice guy - - - I'm a nice guy - - - - - - - Then I'm not! Sending out the Sheriff would have used up all of the "nice guys"

Reply to
Jim Davis

Probably pure serendipity for the guy, but it didn't hurt that the deputy who visited me was both professional and courteous.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

BWAHAHAHAHA

Now he filed a PayPal claim as item not received. I responded to PayPal with a copy of the PayPal invoice and pointed out that start time is clearly shown as early to mid August and its listed right on the invoice. Of course you never know what PayPal will do, so I also let them know he may very well have committed a crime in an attempt to threaten and intimidate me. I really should just refund his money and tell him to f*ck off and die slowly, painfully, and alone, but I just do not believe in rewarding bad behavior.

Excuse my use of the vernacular... or don't.

Actually I think he may have won a little bit. I worked up the 3D model today. I haven't decided if I will send him screenshots now or wait until August. If I send him screenshots I have to unblock him so he can respond with feedback, and I am sure he will give me an earful.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Hi Bob,

LOL it seems that this guy has little else to do with his time!! And it is very doubtful that regardless of what you do or say you will not win! You will ALWAYS be in the WRONG and he will ALWAYS be in the RIGHT!!

It is a shame that you can't get his forehead tattooed with; I am Stupid!!

I know!! That would be inappropriate but then again.............. ;-)

Hope the current heat wave is tolerable for you or at least controllable

Have a good weekend!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Mostly overcast with scattered showers today, but no thunder or lightning. It would be a great day to go fishing, but after running out to my parents house to work on some things and hauling back a truck load of trash this morning I'm in the shop the rest of the day and all day tomorrow. Of course I couldn't just turn on the machines and run code. First I had to do a makeshift repair on my dry air machine. With the humidity I absolutely have to have it running. The last thing I want is to blast condensation moisture through my spindles and tool changers.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I modeled his mold two ways, and was going to send him the screenshots to pick the one he liked better. Just now I decided I'm going to cut it both ways and send him both of them so I never have to communicate with him again. People like him make me want to just stop doing custom work altogether.

On the flip side I make a little "speed handle" for milling machine vises. I never planned to sell any. I made a few for myself and gave one to a buddy who does some machining in his home shop. He told me over and over and over I should sell them. Personally I figured most anybody who would need one could make their own. Its not even an original idea. Finally I relented and posted them for sale in a few sizes. Now I make them in batches of each size and frequently get compliments from my customers on them. "Better than I expected." "I couldn't make one for that price." Stuff like that, and no those aren't the customers off Rodney's referral site. LOL. I've got several small products like that I could make and sell to home shop machinists. Things I made for my own use, but somebody without my scope of shop equipment might struggle to make for themselves cost effectively.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Bob,

That must be a good feeling to know that something you thought out of your brain and then made a usable product for a small nitch of people and get compensated for it as well as thanked. Good Job!!!

For me it is the satisfaction that in the 32 years of doing what I do I have not done the same system install twice. Everyone is different and unique. Some simple and some very complex. Some very challenging!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend ---- working or not!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.