Ambulance Chasing Scumbags

I was recently called to make a sales call to a residence that was broken into a week before. The lady of the house was 87 years young. I have since found out that this was a referral from an existing customer. I was told that the day the break in was reported in the newspaper an alarmco sales rep called that 87 years young lady of the house and said that if she had had "their alarm system" this would not have happened among other fear tactics.

I find this kind of sales repulsive and disgusting. Don't know yet if I made a sale as a result but I am not going to hound this lady to get the job. She has been through enough.

And if that sales rep is reading this I hope you have trouble sleeping at night. You deserve worse. Scumbag!!!

BTW I know this goes on all the time it just bothers me when I hear about it. I feel that it gives the industry a black eye that it does not deserve.

Ok, vent session is over now.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1
Loading thread data ...

I know a guy that built his entire business on that model. He was a cop and started his own business while still a cop. He chased every burglary report he received (and his cop buddies told him about). He considers himself a very Christian and ethical man by the way. That is not my take on it certainly. Now he is a retired cop but he is still in that mode, but a little differently. Everytime a new technology comes around (that he can't understand) he tries to find other dealers to "help him understand" the item. He'll pull some crap to refer all of the leads he has for that item to you. Once that referal lead stream reaches a certain level then he thinks it is time "you showed him how to do it". We don't take his referals and leave him to three doors and a motion trunk slamming (where even that is over his head.) He has more accounts and more money than most (partly because he pays dirt low wages), but I think he feels himself struck in the tar pit of his own lack of technical ability and sinking in a world where security integration is getting more and more technical and he isn't.

Reply to
Roland Moore

More than once I've had it suggested to hire ex cops as sales reps. Never done it. I prefer to follow a technical tactic instead where we sell stuff that works to people who want it.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Unfortunately, there are lots of examples of selling using the fear factor. Both Brinks and ADT do it regularily on TV.....

As far as hiring ex cops as sales reps, there is some evidence that this works. I have a successful peer in the business in Ottawa who was an Ottawa Police constable, and he tells me that he wins a lot of his sales based on that fact alone, and he plays it for all it's worth. In one instance, I know it worked, since I lost a competitive quote to him, and the client told me straight out that my package was better, but he felt more comfortable with the other guy because he was an ex police officer.

Go figure !!

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products

formatting link
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Reply to
tourman

I can't get the "connection" people make between a police officer and electronic security. When I've run into that, my first question is .....

I guess you think I'd make a great police officer becuase I do electronic security?

That seems to put it into perspective for them.

Reply to
Jim

Good Cop - Bad Cop

A number of years ago a local cop was caught and sent to jail for the B&E's that he was doing while on duty. He would park the cruiser and walk around a building then break in and steal something go back to the cruiser and drive off. What put him in jail was the fact that he kept a voice recording on a small cassette recorder and they used that against him. Imagine that???? Duhhhhhhh!!!!

My previous employer was one of his victims and I had to clean up his mess. What a PITA!!

Les

I can't get the "connection" people make between a police officer and electronic security. When I've run into that, my first question is .....

I guess you think I'd make a great police officer becuase I do electronic security?

That seems to put it into perspective for them.

Reply to
ABLE_1

A company called Pro Alert was doing that down in Tucson a few years ago, they were even telling people they worked with the police department. They sold a system to a severely mentally challenged guy in a wheelchair who had no idea what they were even there for. How's that for a scumbag company. I have lots more first hand stories about these jerks.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I've had retired cops work for me, but never using fear tactics...they used their experience as detectives and the hands on installation training to sell for us. I made them work with my installers on several jobs before letting them go out on sales. I wanted them to know at least something about what could be and couldn't be done (like fishing down an outside concrete wall when it wasn't firred out..stuff like that)

| >

| >

| > >I know a guy that built his entire business on that model. He was a cop and | > >started his own business while still a cop. He chased every burglary report | > >he received (and his cop buddies told him about). He considers himself a | > >very Christian and ethical man by the way. That is not my take on it | > >certainly. Now he is a retired cop but he is still in that mode, but a | > >little differently. Everytime a new technology comes around (that he can't | > >understand) he tries to find other dealers to "help him understand" the | > >item. He'll pull some crap to refer all of the leads he has for that item | > >to you. Once that referal lead stream reaches a certain level then he | > >thinks it is time "you showed him how to do it". We don't take his referals | > >and leave him to three doors and a motion trunk slamming (where even that | > >is over his head.) He has more accounts and more money than most (partly | >

| | | >because he pays dirt low wages), but I think he feels himself struck | in the | > >tar pit of his own lack of technical ability and sinking in a world where | > >security integration is getting more and more technical and he isn't. | >

| > More than once I've had it suggested to hire ex cops as sales reps. Never | > done it. I prefer to follow a technical tactic instead where we sell stuff | > that works to people who want it. | >

| > -- | > Bob La Londe | > Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River | > Fishing Forums & Contests

formatting link
| >

| > -- | > Posted via a free Usenet account from

formatting link
| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Crash,

Can you send me your email again, I some questions for you.

Thanks, Bob W.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

just use; robosama at gmail dot com

| >

| >

| > | >

| > | >

| > | > >I know a guy that built his entire business on that model. He was a | cop | > and | > | > >started his own business while still a cop. He chased every burglary | > report | > | > >he received (and his cop buddies told him about). He considers | himself | > a | > | > >very Christian and ethical man by the way. That is not my take on it | > | > >certainly. Now he is a retired cop but he is still in that mode, but | a | > | > >little differently. Everytime a new technology comes around (that he | > can't | > | > >understand) he tries to find other dealers to "help him understand" | the | > | > >item. He'll pull some crap to refer all of the leads he has for that | > item | > | > >to you. Once that referal lead stream reaches a certain level then he | > | > >thinks it is time "you showed him how to do it". We don't take his | > referals | > | > >and leave him to three doors and a motion trunk slamming (where even | > that | > | > >is over his head.) He has more accounts and more money than most | > (partly | > | >

| > | | > | | > | >because he pays dirt low wages), but I think he feels himself struck | > | in the | > | > >tar pit of his own lack of technical ability and sinking in a world | > where | > | > >security integration is getting more and more technical and he isn't. | > | >

| > | > More than once I've had it suggested to hire ex cops as sales reps. | > Never | > | > done it. I prefer to follow a technical tactic instead where we sell | > stuff | > | > that works to people who want it. | > | >

| > | > -- | > | > Bob La Londe | > | > Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River | > | > Fishing Forums & Contests

formatting link
| > | >

| > | > -- | > | > Posted via a free Usenet account from

formatting link
| > | | > | | >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Well, that is power of Christ ... forgiveness, salvation, and the resultant extreme powers of rationalization.

Christians are often wonderful folks ... just wanted to point out the dark side.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

IME, cops don't know doodly squat about security. Most of them think that ADT, Sonitrol, and P1 rule. Schmucks. js

Reply to
alarman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.