Wire prices

22/4 $44.00ea 1m is this a good price for quad?
Reply to
J Barnes
Loading thread data ...

It depends on the quality. If it's Eastern Wire & Cable, don't bother. If it's Belden or Genesis, it's reasonable.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Reply to
Roland Moore

Also, save your scrap... the recycle prices are thru the roof. I didn't use to save it, but if i save around 150 lbs. I get like $120 bucks!

Reply to
duracles

Here's a hint for anyone looking for some extra sales. Figure out who's storing, selling or using copper in your area and I'll bet you they're looking at some serious "shrinkage" . Makes a good CCTV system seem cheap in comparison to the amount of money they're losing. Try air conditioning installers, plumbers, and suppliers.

I've made two sales in the last few months for just this reason. ( They were existing clients ..... though)

Reply to
Jim

That's all well and good until the CCTV coax gets stolen for scrap.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Reply to
Everywhere Man

no but its the going price

Reply to
Don

do you have to stip the insulation first?

Reply to
Don

no they subtract an estimated amount for the plastic waste, seems fair where i go.

Reply to
duracles

Not here. Wire - 22/4 stranded, PVC jacket is between $60.00 and $75.00 per

1M if buying in single roll or small lots.
Reply to
Roland

Yep, I am paying $65 per 1m and they told me not to put that number in my data base. It is changing every week, if only by a dollar or two. Reminds me of the gas prices.

Reply to
Bob Worthy
57 per thousand here for solid 22/4 When I first started it was 13 bucks a thousand and I thought that was high.

| > no but its the going price | >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

wow, I thought I had it bad. :)

Reply to
Don

Solid core wire? I use that for phone connections to the protector but for little else. I hate solid core wire. The puny price difference between it and stranded can't be a reason to use it.

Reply to
Roland Moore

I don't know why the other gentleman prefers solid core but I like it because it's easier to use and there's less chance of a stray strand shorting a nearby point where it's connected. Also, years ago before the introduction of eight- or more-zone panels I used to connect all of my cables to 66 "punch" blocks. These need solid core wire to maintain a permanent, gas-tight connection.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

It pulls better and when it breaks it pretty much breaks all the way instead of hanging on by a strand. I find it much easier to work with, I hate working with puny stranded stuff. Price is not the difference, if solid were more money I'd still be using it.

| >

| > | > no but its the going price | > | >

| > | | > | | >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Same here.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Me too. I don't like stranded wire, never did. Just don't nick the solid when you strip it. js

Reply to
alarman

And that is why I don't use it. If the wire has been nicked and flexed it will break, or worse yet, it looks intact to the eye when it is actually broken electrically. I don't know how many times I have "fixed" a so called "broken" alarm panel just by giving all the zone wires a good tug and fixing the wires that snap off. There have been too many of those experiences for me to consider solid core as anything other than an invitation to big problems. Solid core is verboten on anything I work on (other than CAT 5 or similar wire or on the Telco protector run). I saw that some guys like to use 66 blocks. I have some guys that like those things too. I tell them to go work for the phone company. However I have found that if you're careful you can successfully use stranded on those applications too. I have some stranded wire 66 blocks that have been in service well over 25 years. I still don't like using 66 blocks though.

Reply to
Roland

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.