Telguard trouble solved...maybe

Telguard TG-7 installed last week. Customer calls to say their phone line is cutting out on incoming and outgoing calls. FF to today. Sure enough, try to dial out, click. The TG-7 is seizing the line. Telco line voltage is 50.5 VDC. Look at the TG-7, LFC light comes on briefly. So I called Telguard tech support, and they ask for the serial number of my unit. I tell him, and the guy chuckles knowingly. (This is a good sign) Says he needs to upload a software patch to my unit. It seems there was a premature release (grow up, guys) of a new version of s/w during weeks 36-41 (digits 5 and 6 in the serial #) affecting about 4000 TG-7 and TG-4 units. Patch uploaded, and everything seemed to be working. We'll see.

Reply to
alarman
Loading thread data ...

Yup, I found out about that one yesterday

Reply to
Mark Leuck

is the TG-7 & 4's the replacement for the older TG-1000??

We've had a bunch (say 10-15) stop working, factory blamed the new GSM replacement cell format... TKS RTS

Reply to
Rocky T Squirrel

The TG-1000? Probably an old analog unit. My TG-7 problem is new according to tech support. js

Reply to
alarman

It is a new problem and only affects the TG-4

Which reminds me, anyone notice when something like this happens they ALWAYS say its a 'very small number" that are affected?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Mine is a TG-7. The tech said the LFC problem plagues the TG4 and TG-7. Some

4000 units are affected. js
Reply to
alarman

Reply to
Roland Moore

Telguard tech support is horrible. We have many TG7 units installed and have had no support from company. Many calls and emails unresponsive. Device just stop communicating with solid cell service in area. VERY DISSAPOINTED!!

Reply to
mfssystems

We started with Telguard, but like you they failed on all kind of question and support...

-- - - - - --

problem that tech support couldn't figure out..

they do phone, email, website support..

formatting link

;-)

*Rocky T. Squirrel, esq.

Reply to
RTS

I never used anything but Napco Starlink and have had excellent use and service from Napco tech support.

I have heard similar stories about Telguard.

Reply to
Jim Davis

On 6/29/2018 9:38 AM, Jim Davis wrote: > On Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 10:01:21 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@makofiresecurity.com wrote: >> Telguard tech support is horrible. We have many TG7 units installed and have had no support from company. Many calls and emails unresponsive. Device just stop communicating with solid cell service in area. VERY DISSAPOINTED!! > > I never used anything but Napco Starlink and have had excellent use and service from Napco tech support. > > I have heard similar stories about Telguard. >

I was installing cell units before most folks on this group I think. My first ones were analog cell that I programmed with a handset from a Motorola bag phone. They were trigger activated. You used outputs from the panel as triggers. I think they only had 4 trigger inputs. I don't even recall what they were called, but I was using them when Telular (Telguard) was still acting like they were the only player in the market.

I've used Uplink, TelGuard and Starlink of course. By the time I got out Telguard and Uplink had assholed themselves out of the market for me. Starlink had its issue, but when they came out with their fire communicators I no longer had any need at all for those other guys.

Telguard would also try to pass the buck when there was a problem after you waited on hold for them to finally answer. All my problems went away when I swapped out my last units to Starlink. Coverage can always be an issue, but... that's the case with any cellular device.

I just sold my last couple Starlink units a few weeks ago to some guy in New York or New Jersey or something like that. I threw away my spare Uplink and Telguard units when I got my last ones in service replaced with Starlink.

Telguard/Telular is to cellular alarm communicators like Dedicated Micros is to video recording. They used to be somebody, but not for a very long time.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Hi Bob,

Back in 2003 I installed a system with a Telguard T1630M in a very remote cabin on top of a mountain with 660 acre's of land.

The unit had a actual dialtone, so I connected a Princess type wall phone that was used like any POTS line would be for both incoming and outgoing calls. It has long since died, including the customer.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

utputs from

? I don't

got

e

nt

lways

are

or a

Back afore the big blizzard of 92, I installed a cell phone that used semap hore flags and a signal light from a WWII battle ship, at the front entranc e of a cave. It was for an indecisive hermit.

Which reminds me ?..

Did you ever hear about the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac who sat up all ni ght pondering the existence of doG

Reply to
Jim Davis

Well back afore the flood of 72, the neighbor would send up smoke signals to communicate to his brother in the next town. The problem then (and I guess even now) that on foggy days the communication would break down and would be difficult to decipher. As well as when it would rain he could not get the head end up and working due to the very high humidity.

It was during those times of difficult or impossible communication that his brother would feel very lonely and despondent. When my neighbor found out about his brothers condition he stated to write letters and handed them to a guy on a horse.

Ahhhhhh those were the days.................................

Reply to
ABLE1

On 7/2/2018 4:59 AM, ABLE1 wrote: > On 7/1/2018 3:40 PM, Bob La Londe wrote: > >> >> I was installing cell units before most folks on this group I think. My first ones were analog cell that I programmed with a handset from a Motorola bag phone. They were trigger activated. You used outputs from the panel as triggers. I think they only had 4 trigger inputs. I don't even recall what they were called, but I was using them when Telular (Telguard) was still acting like they were the only player in the market. >> >> I've used Uplink, TelGuard and Starlink of course. By the time I got out Telguard and Uplink had assholed themselves out of the market for me. Starlink had its issue, but when they came out with their fire communicators I no longer had any need at all for those other guys. >> >> Telguard would also try to pass the buck when there was a problem after you waited on hold for them to finally answer. All my problems went away when I swapped out my last units to Starlink. Coverage can always be an issue, but... that's the case with any cellular device. >> >> I just sold my last couple Starlink units a few weeks ago to some guy in New York or New Jersey or something like that. I threw away my spare Uplink and Telguard units when I got my last ones in service replaced with Starlink. >> >> Telguard/Telular is to cellular alarm communicators like Dedicated Micros is to video recording. They used to be somebody, but not for a very long time. >> > Hi Bob, > > Back in 2003 I installed a system with a Telguard T1630M in a very remote cabin on top of a mountain with 660 acre's of land. > > The unit had a actual dialtone, so I connected a Princess type > wall phone that was used like any POTS line would be for both > incoming and outgoing calls. > It has long since died, including the customer. > > Les >

That was one of the offerings of Telular back in the day. Land line replacement or backup. They were even used for remote payphone integration solutions. The units were just stupid expensive and the monthly service was outrageous and included little or no air time.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Agreed, the customer didn't flinch on the cost.

Reply to
ABLE1

emaphore flags and a signal light from a WWII battle ship, at the front ent rance of a cave. It was for an indecisive hermit.

l night pondering the existence of doG

I had a similar problem.

My friend at the time, Mr Watson and I solved the problem with a VERY long piece of string and a Morse Code primer. Then ?. when the Dixie Cup was invented ??.. well you know the rest of that story.

But anyway ?.. what you don't know about is that of course, all of this was pre Alexander G Bell. And guess who wound up working with him. Yep , my good friend, Mr Watson.

Reply to
Jim Davis

LOL I just love 1upmanship....................

Jim, I officially declare you the winner!!! Congrats!!!

Reply to
ABLE1

I'm going to give Napco a try. Had used some a while back and wasn't really impressed with them either. I'm willing to give another try. Can't be any worse than Telguard has been!!!

have had no support from company. Many calls and emails unresponsive. Devi ce just stop communicating with solid cell service in area. VERY DISSAPOINT ED!!

Reply to
mfssystems

ly impressed with them either. I'm willing to give another try. Can't be an y worse than Telguard has been!!!

nd have had no support from company. Many calls and emails unresponsive. De vice just stop communicating with solid cell service in area. VERY DISSAPOI NTED!!

I would strongly suggest that you set a unit up at your shop and play with it for a while. Make a list of questions that arise and then call tech supp ort to weed out the stuff that's unclear.

Don't just take a unit out in the field and expect to "intuitively" get it working. When you're on the job with a problem is no time to be sitting on the telephone waiting for tech support to answer a question. The manuals do n't cover every little nuance and definition of terms.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.