Distance between alarm panel and keypad question

Using a Honeywell Vista alarm panel with the standard keypads (sorry for not having all the model numbers, but I don't have them handy).

Question: How far from the alarm panel can I put a keypad? I have a large jobsite 23K sq ft which has a jobsite trailer that is almost 700 feet from the alarm panel. We want to put a keypad in the trailer, but don't know what the max distance is between keypad and panel. Our alarm installer is unsure as well, so I'm doing my own research. Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Roveer

Reply to
Roveer
Loading thread data ...

This is from page 3.3 of the Vista 50 Installation manual:

"#22 gauge 450 feet #20 gauge 700 feet #18 gauge 1100 feet #16 gauge 1750 feet

The length of all wire runs combined, regardless of wire gauge, must not exceed 2000 feet when unshielded quad conductor cable is used (1000 feet if unshielded cable is run in conduit, which acts as a shield, or if shielded cable is used).

If more than one keypad is wired to one run, then the above maximum lengths must be divided by the number of keypads on the run (e.g., the maximum length is 225 feet if two keypads are wired on a #22 gauge run)."

Next time, don't be "lazy" and RTFM (Read the Freekin' Manual). :-)

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Frankie,

What's really scary, his installer didn't bother to read the manual...

Reply to
Russell Brill

Amazing, isn't it? His installer "is unsure as well". Boy, I tell ya... If one of my guys came to me with that line, I'd give the dummy a few days off to "bone up" on his manuals... *without pay*...

I was going to suggest calling Bass, and then I remembered that Bass and Ademco have had a bit of a "falling out". Besides, I figure his tech support auto attendant will simply say his voice message box is "full" (again). :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
Russell Brill

About 698 feet

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Aw, dang. js

Reply to
alarman

I haven't tried this with a Honeywell Vista series panel but I've run Napco keypads 300 feet from the panel using 22/4 cable. 18 Gauge wire is a bit more than twice the cmil area of 22-gauge.

16/4 is roughly 4 times the core size of 22-gauge and should work though I couldn't swear by it.
Reply to
Robert L Bass

Translation: He's never *installed* an Ademco Vista series panel.

I understand you also recommended CAT 5 for keypad runs... Tsk!!

When all else fails, Robert, RTFM. This applies to you more than anyone else in the Group...

By the way how *do* you get a two line 32 character Napco LCD keypad display to read: "Attention Burglar" on the first line and "Go ahead. Make my day" on the second?? Did you ever actually *install* a Napco panel??

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.